Author Topic: Quillaran - My new creature  (Read 29437 times)

Offline Hydromancerx

• Master of Orion
  • Klaatu Barada Nikto!
    • View Profile
    • Sagan 4
Re: Quillaran- My new creature
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2006, 02:57:02 pm »
Hazzah! Great job! I see you managed to put on the teeth now :) And all drawn by you! Told you could could do it if ya tried!

Offline Areku

• Defender Devotee
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2006, 10:49:00 pm »
A Quillaran tribal chief performing a story telling ritual:

badly drawn in paint
« Last Edit: January 19, 2006, 03:34:22 am by Areku »

Offline Hydromancerx

• Master of Orion
  • Klaatu Barada Nikto!
    • View Profile
    • Sagan 4
« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2006, 12:25:23 am »
Areku, for doing so well on the Naucean Evolution Video i did all of your Quillaran's evolution for you like you requested. But you will ahve to morph it. I am not that crazy :P

I hope you like them :)

Offline huggkruka

• Space Ace
  • Totally powers
    • View Profile
    • My Digitalart.org profile
« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2006, 03:05:26 am »
I actually like the "badly drawn" quillarian. Hey, that's a band: Badly Drawn Quillaran!  :D

Good job anyway. The pattern works, but you could have erased it from the creature itself.

Offline Areku

• Defender Devotee
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2006, 03:36:10 am »
WOW, amazing job Hydro, as always. Thanks a ton man!  ;D

Oh, and I fixed he paint image I posted before so the creature no longer has the pattern on it.  ;)

Offline ChaoticCreature

• Akalabeth Addict
  • Without chaos, Nothing can evolve
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2006, 02:50:50 am »
very original those quillarian, I love thier brute design:) I will look forward to see them in spore and hopefulle make peace with them;):P

Offline Areku

• Defender Devotee
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 09, 2006, 09:00:19 pm »
Well it has been a while since any update, but I figured I would start up with more info coming soon, these are just a few desgins I made for possible creatures on the Quillaran planet... They probably will be modified to look more residential rather than just more weird creatures. What do you think?

The reason for the names is because seeing as the Quillaran species is very Musical based, they name their creatures based on the sounds they make(or at least how they interpret them)
The Weese are the burrowing mouse like creatures the Quillaran usually eat. They use their claw like whiskers to dig tiny tunnles and burrows. The twark is a bird species native to Quillaris, it is also the species of bird that the Quillaran tribespeople get feathers from to use in the tribal headdresses. The Gyin are flightless birds much like Earth's penguins, though with such smalle "useless" feet, they crawl on their bellies using the claws on their wings. The Beez are like lightning bugs and produce a luminescent chemical that not only lights them up at night, but also is lighter than air(or whichever compound the planet has) and helps it fly. More info to come soon....if you have questions be sure to ask as I would be happy to answer them, if you want to see anything specific also let me know as I am running out of ideas on what to do next...
« Last Edit: March 09, 2006, 09:13:38 pm by Areku »

Offline huggkruka

• Space Ace
  • Totally powers
    • View Profile
    • My Digitalart.org profile
« Reply #22 on: March 09, 2006, 10:33:23 pm »
Nice update! Do any of these eventually get domesticated or any other creature for that sake?

Offline Areku

• Defender Devotee
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 09, 2006, 10:40:28 pm »
none of the current ones get domesticated, though the Twark can sometimes be kept as a pet, and is used as a messenger bird during certain times just like big ol pidgeons. But i am trying to work on a mount like creature (man that gona have to be huge to support them  :P ) as well as a few other things :D

Offline Doomstrom

• Crazy Climber Cuckoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 09, 2006, 11:52:11 pm »
Nice drawings and creatures :)
Especially Hydro, nice one  :o
#1 Spore Fan. You better believe it.

Offline Areku

• Defender Devotee
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 13, 2006, 10:08:13 pm »

Here, another quickly thrown together sketch of a mother Quillaran and her child. Notice the female mother has no spikes on her shell as it is a trait of the female side of the species. The baby is a lighter color because it has not developed quills yet, at this point it just has its soft fur. The babies are born completely furless and the fur grows over time then hardens into quillas at about 1 yr of age. This is important because you'll notice the mother has a small pouch on the bottom of her stomach which she develops when she is pregnant. The pouch also has no quills so as not to hurt the baby and vice versa for the mother. The child Quillaran is using it's "tongue" to sense different things around it since its vision still isn't up to par with older Quillaran. Also I decided to do a badly drawn background for the pic to show the large mountains of the tundra planet Quillaris. Notice the strange tree as well called a Dulcis Bloom. It sprouts large leaves off its branches and small vine like structures from there which the Dulci berry grow from. The Dulci berry is a favored treat for the Quillarans as it is very sweet. The berry itself is completely harmless, but a few Quillaran have found ways to concentrate it into a powder known as Dul (because it dulls the senses haha....  :P ). Luckily, Dul is higlhly illegal and is extreemly hard to find, even if you're looking  :D

Phear the MS Paint Skillz!!!!  :D
« Last Edit: March 13, 2006, 10:13:24 pm by Areku »

Offline Hydromancerx

• Master of Orion
  • Klaatu Barada Nikto!
    • View Profile
    • Sagan 4
« Reply #26 on: March 13, 2006, 10:51:10 pm »
Awww sooo cute!

Offline Areku

• Defender Devotee
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 14, 2006, 04:41:08 pm »

Here is a pic I did to illustrate how the Quillaran swim. Its much like the otters here on Earth do. The shell is the way it stays bouyant, it paddles along using its webbed feet and uses its tentacle mouths to search for food by tasting the water and even listening for prey. It will occasionally grab a fish or crustacean and use its arms to hold on to it while it feeds on the prey with its mouth. It can obviously stay submerged for quite a while, as long as it keeps its nose up out of the water like a snorkle.  :D

Offline Hydromancerx

• Master of Orion
  • Klaatu Barada Nikto!
    • View Profile
    • Sagan 4
« Reply #28 on: March 14, 2006, 08:46:40 pm »
Yay! You finally drew that!! I was wondering when you were going to show this, sicne we had discussed it on th IM before.

Offline WaRrIz

• Atari Combat Vet
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 15, 2006, 03:45:18 am »
Amazing Areku,

if I'm not mistaken, it looks like you have combined a Sloth and a Giant Ant Eater togeather to make a very creative creature, that I ver much like!!! :D

Keep posting great pics man!!!