Author Topic: Quillaran - My new creature  (Read 29433 times)

Offline Areku

• Defender Devotee
    • View Profile
Quillaran - My new creature
« on: January 10, 2006, 09:38:08 pm »
Yes, ok so I was hesitant to start my own topic rather than just post it in another thread. After working so hard on the biology and history so far, I thought I would make this just for the heck of it. I won't be able to churn out drawings as fast or as well as Hydro (unless he really wants to help me some more  :D ), but I will try and update with relevant info regarding the Quillaran as much as I can. Here it is though:

Here is a bit of info on it (I have a bit more, but if I post it all at once I'll be left with very little to update you all with) So I will release the new info at intervals to keep this topic alive, and to keep you all interested. Feel free to ask any question about anything!  ;D

Origin of Idea: The idea came from a combination of an Echidna/sloth/turtle, hence the blue spikes, anteater snout, large claw arms and shell. The shell is more moddled after an ankylosaur.

Creator: Areku, drawn by Hydromancerx
-------------------------------------------------------
Name: Quillaran

Homeplanet: Quillaris, an icey mountainous planet with beautiful ice formations and large glaciers floating in the oceans.

Moons: Pelagia and Yogar

Classification: Warm blooded, egg laying mammal

Lifestyle: Pack animal,one alpha male that leads the pack as well as its alpha mate, Omnivore, mostly docile unless provoked

Habitat: The icey land of it's homeplanet, tends to live in large caves(which they can improve upon using their large claws to cut through the ice and rock)

Size: Around 9 to 10 ft. Females tend to be on the smaller end, while males are taller

Weight: 500 to 600 lbs. Females tend to be more petite in size and shape, while males are heavier and more muscular

Diet: Usually small burrowing mammals, occasionally water animals such as fish small and crustaceans...any forms of berries or fruits it can find

Hunt/Forage Success Rate: 70% hunt success, 40% forage

Armor: Spikey quills covering body as well as hard shell on back

Defenses: curling up under large shell and putting large claw arms to cover face

Weapons: Large claws on main arms, mouths on side with sharp teeth, clawed feet, can also use its large weight to ram another creature by thrusting its shell into the opposing creature

Tools: Uses it head arms to perform complex tasks like a normal human hand, except having two thumbs on either saide and one finger in the middle

Lifespan: about 60 to 70 yrs

Mating: The males do an elaborate mating dance to try and impress the females (can mate outside the pack, as even the Quillaran try not to inbreed). The dance consist of shaking their quills moving their arms and creating low pitched noises from their snouts. If the Quillaran male is successful, the female will join in the male's dance. After completion, the Quillaran female will bend over and the male will mount her. Quillarans mate for life and after accepting the male, the female will never require the male to repreform the mating dance in order to reproduce. They form a strong realtionship and will become enraged if their mate is killed.

Reproductive Rate: Reproduces anytime when mate is found and impressed

Gestation: 9-10 months

Offspring Survival Rate (before age of maturity): 90-100%  pack raise it and care for it(both males and females are adapt care-givers)

Number of Offspring: 1-2

Offspring incubation:  about another 3 months after egg layed

Babies/Children: Baby Quillaran suckle from the mother's teats, and since they have not developed teeth yet, it has no ill effect on the mother. Around the age of one year they are weaned and introduced to solid foods and eats the same as the rest of the pack. Once they reach sexual maturity at around the age of 15, they can then take turns hunting along with the rest, though a more experienced Quillaran may go with them at first until they learn how to hunt and forage.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2006, 12:36:14 pm by Areku »

Offline huggkruka

• Space Ace
  • Totally powers
    • View Profile
    • My Digitalart.org profile
Re: Quillaran- My new creature
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2006, 10:30:48 pm »
Nice. Good info, to the point.

Offline Hydromancerx

• Master of Orion
  • Klaatu Barada Nikto!
    • View Profile
    • Sagan 4
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2006, 11:47:45 pm »
Yay! You posted it here too! Great Job! Can't wait to see your tribal version.  :D

Offline jujubee

• Missile Commander
  • Notoriously Unnotorious
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2006, 11:41:20 am »
Neat! I'm attempting to draw mine right now, but I can't figure out the body. anyways good job with all the details.

Offline Behumat

• Joust Warrior
  • Coruscant committee to fight urban sprawl
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2006, 12:05:02 pm »
Don't be hesitant, this is REALLY cool. We live for this stuff!

Offline Areku

• Defender Devotee
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2006, 12:26:19 pm »
 ;D Glad you all like it so much, well I suppose I might as well release some more info today. SO here ya go:

Quillaran Biology 101:

Eyes: Middle "main" eye sees only colorblind like images or outlines. The three secondary eyes see their respective colors of the light spectrum combining all the sensory information into the correct image in the Quillaran's brain. The "eyepatch" is not covered in fur, but instead a bone like extrusion in the shape shown, however it is only a few cm thick. The golden outline around the main eye is just a differently colored bone extrusion, and mainly decorative.

Snout: The snout is not a mouth at all, but instead it is actually a nose. It breaths through the snout and uses its "tongue" to smell the air, much like a snake would(the snout hole is large enough for the "tongue" to be out as well as for the Quillaran to breath at the same time). The Quillaran uses its snout as their form of communication as well.They communicate by making noises from their snouts that sound similar to an aborigine digeriedoo, and are able to create different pitches in the sound. Infact(once I compile it) their "Alphabet" isn't letter based at all, but based on musical notes.

Head-Graspers: These are used as the Quillaran's equivalent to hands. They are quite dexterous. They have three digits, two thumbs on either side of the grasper, as well as having a finger in the middle. Luckily for the Quillaran, their eyes are able to move vertically enough to be able to see whatever it is they have in their grasper. In times of need, their "tongue" appendage can be used to help out the graspers in difficult tasks, as it is a very strong muscle in their body.

Claw Arms: These front appendages are the second strongest on the Quillaran, falling only behind their legs in strength. The arms have three large claws on the end that are used for multiple things. Their main use is for digging, used for digging up the ground, and enlarging their cave homes. They can also be used for attack if needed, however most of their prey are smaller animals, but if a predator attacks, the Quillaran can inflict massive damage with these claws.

Side Mouths(henceforth nicknamed hip-penises): These are the Quillaran's true mouths. They can be operated with as much ability as any regular arm. The inside of the mouth is rowed in sharp teeh used for cutting up their food, the rows of teeth continue down its throat for better dissection of food, then swallowed and digested. See "Hunting" for more info on the mouths...

Ears:The mouths have ears on them used for hearing, especially helpfully in small spaces(the ears are hyper sensitive and able to pick up the smallest vibration). Usually the ears arefolded up against the mouth, but when they pick up a sound, they perk up and become very alert.

Legs: The Quillaran's legs are the strongest limbs that are on them. They have to be, in order to support this massive behemoth. The reason that their toes are webbed is for walking on the icy/snowy terrain of its ice homeplanet(working much like snowshoes) , and yes, it is bipedal. And although they aren't the fastest creatures, they can charge if provoked. The claws are very sharp on the end of each toe, though the prospect of them actually lifting their feet to attack with them is slim. The webbed feet can also be used while swimming...more on that in "Swimming"...

Fur/Quills: Over time in the Quillaran's evolution, their light blue fur evolved into sharp quills, much like those of a porcupine or echidna. It uses these for defense and protection, as well as being able to shake its body, making the quills rustle together creating a loud rattling sound to signafy danger or to try and scare off any predator etc. The quills also provide plenty of warmth for the Quillaran on its cold, wintery planet.

Shell: The shell is the heaviest part of the Quillaran, and strangely enough, the most buoyant as well. It provides a great deffense for them. As you can see, it has small protrusions from its shell forming spike like objects for greater deffense. By curling up under its large shell, tucking its limbs underneath, and using its large claw arms to cover its face, it creates an almost inpenatrable defense.

Swimming: The Quillaran are not aquatic creatures by nature, though their physiology provides interesting ways to get around in the water. If a Quillaran near the water, it may want to take a dip or even just hunt for food. They do so by swimming on their backs, sinking a small bit below the surface. Their shell creates a nice boat shape for them to lay back in, just like an otter when they are swimming. They can fold their arms on their bellies and use their webbed feet to paddle. they tilt their head slightly so they can use their snout like a snorkle, able to stay under as long as they want.

Hunting/Foraging: They tend to hunt alone, one Quillaran goes out to hunt while the others stay at home and care for the children. They all take turns, both female and male. Its main prey are any small burrowing creatures. They smell prey out with their tongue, then send in the mouths in after it,using the ears on them to sound out where the prey is. If too deep or if they can't find it, it digs them out with the claws. And if by chance the prey trys to escape when sniffing it out, it grabs the prey with the head graspers near its snout. If hunting in the water, they use the same method as above for swimming, except they use their mouths to find food by the vibrations sent out by swimming or moving creatures, since their eyes are little use while submerged. When found, the mouths lash out at the prey and hold it inbetween their sharp teeth until it dies. If foraging they pick berries using their head graspers, or shake trees using their claw arms until food falls to the ground. They carry back all the food they can using their claw arms, head graspers and mouths, and if needed will bring more Quillarans to assist it.

Offline RealmRPGer

• Akalabeth Addict
  • Tanket
    • View Profile
    • Realm Protectors
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2006, 11:15:02 pm »
Hmmm, I find it interesting that so many of you have decided to come up with a creature before hand. I myself prefer to just let things happen as they will -- it really adds to the overall experience as it's all a mystery!

Granted, I DO have creatures of my own, but, well, I developed them for other games, though I guess it would actually be pretty cool to make them in Spore. But only after I create some creatures on a whim.

Offline Hydromancerx

• Master of Orion
  • Klaatu Barada Nikto!
    • View Profile
    • Sagan 4
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2006, 11:45:08 pm »
Hmmm, I find it interesting that so many of you have decided to come up with a creature before hand. I myself prefer to just let things happen as they will -- it really adds to the overall experience as it's all a mystery!

Granted, I DO have creatures of my own, but, well, I developed them for other games, though I guess it would actually be pretty cool to make them in Spore. But only after I create some creatures on a whim.

Well i make it becuse its fun. Infact its gotten so fun i probbly could not care less if it can translate to Spore or not. ... Thoughbit would be nice if this guy or my Nauceans could be made in Spore. I am sure just doing this will help me have a better idea of how i want to build any creature in Spore. who knows by the time Spore coems out i may be sick of the Nauceans and just make a brand new thing in the game.

Offline huggkruka

• Space Ace
  • Totally powers
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2006, 02:31:43 am »
What you're doing Hydro, is world building. It's a nice activity, especially if you like drawing. I'm pretty ceratin I'll jsut let things happen in Spore too. Unintelligent Design, so to speak.

Offline Areku

• Defender Devotee
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2006, 01:06:27 pm »

Well i make it becuse its fun. Infact its gotten so fun i probbly could not care less if it can translate to Spore or not. ... Thoughbit would be nice if this guy or my Nauceans could be made in Spore. I am sure just doing this will help me have a better idea of how i want to build any creature in Spore. who knows by the time Spore coems out i may be sick of the Nauceans and just make a brand new thing in the game.
exactly my thoughts, word for word. I enjoy making my creauture, and Hydros especially, and by making new ones and taking ones I like I can create a good idea of what my Spore creature will be. I most likely will create my creature just as huggkruka said, that half the fun of Spore, having a defined idea is nice, but once we get Spore we will have so many options none of us could think of that it would be foolish to stick to a strickly designed and pre-thought out creature without experimenting a bit!  ;D

Offline Areku

• Defender Devotee
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2006, 09:46:05 pm »
Well heres some more

Tribal Stage: Sentience Reached!

Cultural Changes: The Quillaran tribes are very spiritual. They don't believe in gods per say, but more in ancestral spirits much like Native Americans. They perform many rituals in which the tribal leader will play a main role, such as at funerals, births, and on certain other special occasions. They celebrate life and view it as a very precious object and are very humanitarian (Quillaritarian?) in nature. Their culture is also very nature based, they respect the cycle of life and never take more than they need, and also believe that death is a way of giving back. They tend to be very peaceful and never aggressive unless they feel as if thet themselves or the tribe is in danger. There are a good number of different tribes throughout Quillaris. And although they have a basic belief system, they are different in many ways. I will be focusing on the Woodland tribe as they are the dominant ones on the planet. The key aspects of this tribe are their great storytelling, as they pass down stories of past Quillaran such as heroic trails, and the fact that they enjoy keeping these records and are able to keep primitive notes and history in the form of crude drawings in their homes. Some other well developed tribes are: Mountain tribe, Plains Tribe, and Oceanic Tribe. There is a major difference in the Mountain tribe is very aggressive and tries to take land and grow their numbers as much as they can. Now although the rest are relatively peaceful, some have deviated in the way the Mountain tribe has. Another key difference is hunting, they go out in small hunting groups instead of the single Quillaran hunter of past days. They realized early on that there could be much greater success with a small group working together, as well as sending out the greater hunters and letting the rest of the tribe specialize in other areas. If a Quillaran in some way disobeys the tribe or commits an act that they deem as harmful to the tribe they are cast out and are stripped of all their tribal wear, and rather than a life-long sentence, the Quillaran's will only send them in exile for around a year, but if they kill another Quillaran in the tribe for any reason, they will be permanently exiled.

Tribal Wear:

Headdress: The tribal headdress is mostly worn during ceremonies, but it isn't uncommon to see some being worn by the tribal leaders or when the warriors are in a hunt. They are made from material made from the skins of certain animals and then stiffened with a sticky residue that is found on most of the planet's trees. The feathers are put on and are a good sign of the tribe you are looking at. Each tribe has a specific color, and feathers from any bird can be used and then dyed using the juice of berries found in the wild. They are also many variations and are decorated in many different ways using a variety of methods. The headdress is attached by tying the leather strap on the bottom of it together.

Nose Bone: Usually a Quillaran gets one when it reaches sexual maturity and then their nose is pierced. It is seen as a right of passage for them. A interesting note is that only males wear them. They are still easilly able to breathe and smell with their nose pierced like that. This way it is easy to distinguish males from females apart from their other physical differences. Another interesting note is that a Quillaran cannot pierce their own nose as, they cannot reach it!

Earrings: A Quillaran may or may not choose to get their ears pierced. They can pierce one, two, three, or all four of them and in any sort of pattern. It is mainly an aesthetic thing rather than having any sort of significance. They are for show only.

Jewels: These tribal jewels are very significant of a tribe. As stated earlier, each tribe has a specific color they have chose. They are: Woodland(Blue), Mountain(White), Plains(Yellow), andOceanic(Green). The Jewels are tied to their claw hands and almost never taken off.

Offline huggkruka

• Space Ace
  • Totally powers
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2006, 10:39:10 pm »
Nice. You drew that?

Offline Hydromancerx

• Master of Orion
  • Klaatu Barada Nikto!
    • View Profile
    • Sagan 4
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2006, 11:44:37 pm »
Well he traced the creature i drew above then added the rest. Its not compltly cheating :P

Offline Areku

• Defender Devotee
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2006, 08:10:27 pm »
Well he traced the creature i drew above then added the rest. Its not compltly cheating :P
ahh you had to kill the mystery...lol

Offline Areku

• Defender Devotee
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2006, 01:50:07 pm »
Here is my recently finished pic of the Quillaran's skeleton, its not perfect, but you guys get the idea...