Author Topic: SIM Earth?  (Read 10863 times)

Offline vbGamer

• Sea Battler
    • View Profile
Re: SIM Earth?
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2006, 06:23:38 am »
I still have my SimEath disk (lost the booklet...). The game basically simulates 10 billion years of a planets life, and you try to make creatures sentient, move through a civ stage, then lift their cities into space after the nanotech age. If you nuke a nano-tech city, you get robots, too. I guess SPORE would be a SimEarth II.

Offline Oviraptor

• R-Type Force Pod
  • tastes just like chicken
    • View Profile
    • Oviraptor's World
« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2006, 09:36:00 am »
I still have my SimEath disk (lost the booklet...). The game basically simulates 10 billion years of a planets life, and you try to make creatures sentient, move through a civ stage, then lift their cities into space after the nanotech age. If you nuke a nano-tech city, you get robots, too. I guess SPORE would be a SimEarth II.

I would say more like SimEarth3. Spore is going so far beyond SimEarth, it's more like SimGalaxy.

I too have SimEarth. It's okay, but I always hated how it always ended up looking like a bunch of tiny islands. Did anyone ever successfully terraform Venus? All I ever got was desert. :-\

P.S. "Terraform" isn't in the spell check's dictionary.

Offline Sparr

• Crazy Climber Cuckoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2006, 11:40:14 am »
I thought terraforming Veuns was a peice of cake. Just build the Oxygenators or whatever they were and wait. The planet will heal intself in no time.

Offline 762

• Goddess of Phobos
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2006, 11:46:05 am »
The game is really intimidating because the control scheme is so old. Can anyone give me the quick-and-dirty of how to get it done?

Spore countdowns: USA Europe

Offline Sparr

• Crazy Climber Cuckoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2006, 12:12:18 pm »
To get what done? Terraform Venus? First open your Air Sample pannel. What you want is low CO2. So, go to the top left option box and select some Oxygenators. Plop them down. You can put down all sorts of gas emitors, just don't get any CO2 going. You can eventually plop down a biome generator and flood your planet with loads of Ice Meteors. Even if it says your ocean is boiling off, keep landing the meteors and expanding the ocean, you'll reach an equlibrium. Your planet should overflow with forest, and then you can plop down some critters.

Offline Interitus

• Mr. Do! Disciple
  • You just blipped on my radar
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 15, 2006, 12:27:10 pm »
I can't keep my ocean levels low enough, or my temperature low. The temperature I can fix by lowering Solar input and the greenhouse effect, but I always lose my continents under all the water, any suggestions?
My karma ran over your dogma

Offline Sparr

• Crazy Climber Cuckoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 15, 2006, 12:32:01 pm »
On Venus you can't change anything. Turn up the cloud albedo and increase clouds and lower sun to lower temperature overall. Or you could boil away the oceans by increaing solar, decreasing clouds, and increasing CO2, then reverse that to level out, and flood the planet again to an acceptable level.

Offline 762

• Goddess of Phobos
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 15, 2006, 12:33:21 pm »
To get what done?

Oh yeah, sorry. I mean to get the basics of playing the game in general.

Spore countdowns: USA Europe

Offline Sparr

• Crazy Climber Cuckoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 15, 2006, 01:15:48 pm »
You don't really 'play' the game, which is one reason it was considered a 'failure'. Its more interesting to watch things happen as you screw around, and try to get everything going. It's pretty simple, just start pressing all the buttons and changing the sliders.

Offline Wahh

• Defender Devotee
  • Dubbed Sigmund Wahh as well as El Cerebro Sucio
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 17, 2006, 06:17:19 pm »
Ok, question, I downloaded SimEarth from the websagacity website.  I ran the install program, but it gets stuck on the program manager part of the program, obviously.  What should I do now?

This guy's songs are freaking awesome! Just look at that earbean picture as my avatar!
www.songstowearpantsto.com

Offline Golgrig

• Star Castle Cadet
  • I am Will Wright's complete lack of suprise.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 20, 2006, 03:53:44 pm »
Ive got a weird but oddly appealing idea...... what if maxis released their version of SIM EARTH online freely to promote SPORE like they did with the original SIMCITY to promote Simcity4.

I really liked it when RockStar put the original GTA up on their site
and I'm sure that it would pique interest.

mainly i just don't want to pay or illeagally download it.
"6.4 Um's per minute" or "The Speed of Wright

An adventurer in the land of who gives a ****

The idea is to mix one ingredient that will burn very fast with a second ingredient that will supply enough oxygen for that burning. This burns so fast, it's an explosion.

Offline smjjames

• Out Run Speedster
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 20, 2006, 03:55:45 pm »
only problem is that SimEarth is more than 10 years old and so are its graphics, so they would have to completely revamp the game so much they may as well make a new SimEarth game that would fit into todays graphics.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2006, 04:00:14 pm by smjjames »

Offline Quantum Burrito

• K.C. Munchkin Maestro
  • Up, Down, Strange, Charm, Top, Bottom, Burrito
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 20, 2006, 04:47:21 pm »
How do you evolve life beyond Prokaryotes? My planet died on the geologic stage! >.<
Quote from: The Will
In a movie, one can always pull back and condemn the character or the artist ... But in playing a game ... we can be encouraged to examine our own values by seeing how we behave within virtual space.
tl;dr. But with all those shiny symbols and numbers it's probably awsome.

Offline smjjames

• Out Run Speedster
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 20, 2006, 04:50:44 pm »
it takes the right balance of things, I usually had no problem getting them to evolve, sometimes they will evolve, sometimes they won't.

Offline Sparr

• Crazy Climber Cuckoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 20, 2006, 04:55:05 pm »
SimEarths graphics are fine to me. SimLife was a game where you could be hopelessly lost by its graphics, but even they weren't bad, just confusing.