Author Topic: Episode 34 Posted  (Read 3699 times)

Offline Gaming Steve

• Master Chief
  • Dig Dug Digger
    • View Profile
    • Gaming Steve
Episode 34 Posted
« on: January 10, 2006, 02:27:47 pm »
Welcome to my first interview podcast for 2006 where I got the chance to sit down with Jeff Strain, Founder and President of ArenaNet, and makers of the hugely successful Guild Wars.

During our talk we discuss the upcoming expansion Guild Wars: Factions, Jeff's thinking behind creating a dynamically generated MMO world, the technology behind their worldwide servers and content streaming system, the upcoming schedule for new future content, as well as much more. Enjoy!

Gaming Steve Episode 34 Program
  • 00:03:16  GameTalk: Interview with Jeff Strain from ArenaNet, the makers of Guild Wars.
  • 00:31:00  Show Mail: I answer your audio and email questions.
  • 01:09:00  Final Thoughts on my contest from last week, the new Gaming Steve T-shirts, and what I'm currently playing.

Get the Podcast from this page (73 minutes): Gaming Steve Episode 34 (MP3).

Subscribe to the Podcast directly in iTunes (MP3).
Add the Gaming Steve Podcast feed to your RSS aggregator.
Vote for Gaming Steve on Podcast Alley.

Check out Gaming Steve on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/thegamingsteve

Offline smjjames

• Out Run Speedster
    • View Profile
Re: Episode 34 Posted
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2006, 02:30:59 pm »
are the email and audio questions stuff that would include questions about spore? just a thought.

well, no spore stuff this week, maybe the next one :)

Offline Gaming Steve

• Master Chief
  • Dig Dug Digger
    • View Profile
    • Gaming Steve
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2006, 02:36:49 pm »
Sorry, no Spore this week. I save that for the "main" podcast, but next week I'll answer more Spore questions!

Offline Darkel

• Space Invaders Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2006, 03:55:17 pm »
I feel kinna dumb asking this, but how should I ask a question for the podcast? PM?

Offline Alan

• Boot Hill Bandit
    • View Profile
    • alanlongstaff.net
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2006, 04:15:23 pm »
I feel kinna dumb asking this, but how should I ask a question for the podcast? PM?

There are contact emails on the site main page. :)

Great episode, hearing that interview is making me want to buy Guild Wars.

Offline Darkel

• Space Invaders Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2006, 04:18:51 pm »

These's the feedback email but I wasn't sure if that was the proper one to ask a question.

Just finished the episode, and I'll be sending a question probably sometime today. :)

Offline mini.boss

• Galaxian Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2006, 12:57:46 pm »
I really don't get whats going on with the Xbox 360 supply in the US. I understand that it was brought out early in time for the holiday, and i expected it would be tough to get for a few weeks after that. Pre-order stores like EB would even say things like "we wont even be getting any until after christmas!". But its now 3 weeks after christmas and i haven't seen ANY stores getting these in stock. Even if they are trickling in 10 units every 2 weeks and are being sold right as they get off the truck then it doesnt seem possible to believe this is what Microsoft meant when they kept reassuring us "systems are on their way".

This really gives all the signs of being more of a manufacturing problem than anything else. So does anyone have any real info as to whats really going on?

Offline n10sity

• Space Invaders Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2006, 02:32:28 pm »

Same. About how long does it take to get to level 20 in GW? Can I get away with playing maybe a hour a day and not fall behind? I know it was said that it doesn't take long to level.

Offline Gaming Steve

• Master Chief
  • Dig Dug Digger
    • View Profile
    • Gaming Steve
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2006, 05:51:38 pm »
You can get to level 20 in no time (like one long weekend or a week of solid play). And this game unlike any other MMO you have played, as there is a single-player story that you play as you raise up to level 20 and you can either play the campaign by yourself with NPC or with others. So it's almost like a single-player game in many ways as you don't ever have to play with anyone else if you don't want. There really isn't any "falling behind" to tell you the truth.

There is also a PvP aspect of the game, but you START your character out as level 20 (with full equipment and everything) so that you can compete in the PvP all at the same level.

I would almost say that Guild Wars plays somewhat like Diablo in that it can be played as both a single-player as well as multi-player game, which is one of the main reasons I like it, it's just so easy to play alone.

Offline eXistenZ

• Brain Games Mastermind
    • View Profile
    • Oddfellow Magazine
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2006, 11:53:40 am »

Actually, the day after this episode aired, I went out and purchased Guild Wars. I think it's a sweet game...the only problems I have are:

1. A graphical flicker, mostly in distant objects and Fx. I think the fog layer/HDRI simulation/bloom effect isn't liked by my Vidcard.

2. The simplicity in overall stats is...well...a bit too simple. I like WoW's stats and attributes much better.

3. You can only be human.

Other than that, I love the game.

Offline Atari Man

• Brain Games Mastermind
  • >[insert catchy phrase here]<
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2006, 04:09:53 pm »
Great Podcast...as always!

Im sure any guild wars vets who listend to the interview with Jeff Strain found it very interesting, if a bit amusing.