Author Topic: ::OFFICIAL:: Unnamed Game Thread ::  (Read 3958 times)

Offline SumGI

• Joust Warrior
  • If those flies loose their eyes, we are in trouble
    • View Profile
::OFFICIAL:: Unnamed Game Thread ::
« on: January 09, 2006, 06:28:23 pm »
I am a sophomore in highschool.  I would like to, in a broad term, make computer games.  I have been working a little bit at it for a while, but I never really have anything to show for it.

I think probably the reason I'm not making any progress is that...I have absolutely no idea what I am trying to do.  Basically I need Ideas for a game, models, the whole works. 

First:  www.3dgamestudio.com this is the program I am using.  To give you a very basic overview of it.  It is a complete 3D/2D engine, a complete integrated scripting engine (Similar to c++ it tells me), and complete 3D modeling software (though not AMAZING).

Second:  I need ideas for an actual game.  I don't make any progress because I just don't sit down and think of ideas very well on my own.  I don't know anyone who would be interested in doing this with me...so I ask you to be the heroes/heroins.  Please lets brainstorm together.

Third:  To you people who are already making games or even better have used the program I am using to make ones.  Would you be so kind to answer a question or two that I will surely come across in my, well I'll be sitting at my computer  :P

Thats all I'm thinking right now.  So lets brainstorm up some lightning
« Last Edit: February 20, 2006, 10:20:55 pm by SumGI »

"By placing a light in a field at night, the boy flies fly in, and as they pass near the light they are unknowingly shot in the reproductives by invisible radiation and sterilized...
They mate and die happy. The female lays her eggs and she dies happy. The eggs die and we are happy..."

Offline Gauphastus

• Ice Climber
  • Hey, man.
    • View Profile
    • Gauphastumblr
Re: Please contribute to my "Help Fund"
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2006, 07:04:16 pm »
My advice is to always start out very small. It may take a while, but as you learn you can come up with larger scale things, take bigger steps, and such.
Like... before you go off making huge maps or coming up with a stat system, you first try to get your model ready. Figure out the code to make the thing move around. Doesn't have to animate or anything, just move around on a basic playing field.
Could be a cube or square or whatever. I believe that the appearance of your game should come middle to last, and the first thing you'll need to worry about with such an engine is with basic code.

I'm on a few projects of my own in Game Maker. Going to make a "Megaman - Symphony of the Night" kind of thing.
Gonna be sweet, but first I need to make Megaman move and animate (and shoot), then I've got to come up with a few basic enemies and the hitpoint bar, then a test playing field, then a whole level with more enemies and possibly powerups... much later, I will work on the nitty gritty, which is the RPG core of the whole thing (inventory system, equipment parts, items, different stats and various calculations).
These are the things you do if you're planning on going the "one-man army" method. I do it all the time.

I don't believe so much that it is very difficult. I never see programming or dealing with such projects as a difficulty.
It's just all the time it might take you.

And that's pretty much all I think. Just a bit of advice you probably already knew.
EDIT: Forgot to mention that the reason I give this advice is because people tend to start off too big, with huge lofty ideas.
They often forget to come up with a solid plan of action, and usually try to do the biggest things first, without a plan and without a base.
Then it flops and the project dies.
Happens all the time.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2006, 07:06:11 pm by Gauphastus »
"Ma all the gods of furious strong be with you as you crunch opposents, and live like a windrammer as you f**k."
       ~Ricky Wangstrom

Offline SumGI

• Joust Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2006, 07:14:14 pm »
Well any one is free to think about ideas for much later, but yes I will try to do the basic stuff to get my skills up so that I can do other things and apply what I learn to them. 

Thanks for the advice.  I'm not sure, but I think I will be starting all this on the weekend (no school Monday woohoo) and will probably have very little homework for a while.  The semester finals with either take up all my time or give me a bunch of time where I basically don't have to do anything for school in my free time, and those days will only go till lunch.  So I suppose this will be a good time to get some learning in.

Of course Oblivions gonna drag me out of whatever I am doing.  So I better set a goal to get something basic before I get it.  well that could be a while...
"By placing a light in a field at night, the boy flies fly in, and as they pass near the light they are unknowingly shot in the reproductives by invisible radiation and sterilized...
They mate and die happy. The female lays her eggs and she dies happy. The eggs die and we are happy..."

Offline Vivec

• Gauntlet Wizard
  • The truth has vanished into darkness...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2006, 08:49:19 pm »
(no school Monday woohoo)

Go MLK! Anyway, I may or may not completely want to test any game you make that isn't moving a square around.
Vivec, you're the best forum member ever.

Offline SumGI

• Joust Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2006, 09:03:42 pm »
Nah, you eventually become a cube so you should be fine. ::)

Offline Vivec

• Gauntlet Wizard
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2006, 09:47:57 pm »
Woo! Evolution into a whole new dimension!

Offline SumGI

• Joust Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2006, 04:51:23 pm »
OK, I'm actually getting somewhere now.  I forgot what distracted me, but I am getting somewhere, yay.

I'm making a cave.  Depending on how long it takes me to make my basic sections I will have the basic layout next weekend.  After that I will put some basic details like big boulders in the walls.  I will then make a script for movement or temporrarily use the stock ones.

Offline Borogove

• Venture Conqueror
  • mimsy: adj. - flimsy and miserable :(
    • View Profile
    • Meyermike.com
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2006, 06:09:06 pm »
I am actually a huge fan of hobbyist game development, and recently managed to get into the games industry myself.  Feel free to shoot me an email or PM whenever you would like some help or ideas!

I'm sorry I missed this thread back when it was started...the name really made it sound like it was about something else entirely.
Use those talents you have. You will make it. You will give joy to the world. Take this tip from nature: The woods would be a very silent place if no birds sang except those who sang best.
-- Bernard Meltzer

Check out my games:  http://www.meyermike.com

Offline sgore

• SunDog Pilot
  • Actually, Jeopardy is my second favorite game show
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2006, 07:02:25 pm »
Going with a cave setting hm? Well if you're having trouble with a plot, try my, GAME PLOT O MATIC O TRON THINGY 8 Thousand Thousand Thousand Cave Edition:

First Choosing the Main Character
B.Female
C.Other
A.Up and Coming Journalist
B. Magical spellcasting dance Enthusiast
C. Debonare Spy person type thing
D. Student at a local School of some sort
E. Professional Tourist Vacationer
F. Other
Name:
A. Fran
B. Gary
C. Montego
D. X
E. Other
Plot
Reason for character's being in cave:
A.Cave-In
B.Decided to go exploring
C. I'd like to solve the puzzle
D. Puppy/Cat/Fire-Breathing Dragon/Pet of some sort ran in
E. Other
True Enemy:
A. Money
B. Some guy who says everything with an overly Dramatic Voice
C. Himself
D. Some Woman In Spandex
E. Florance Henderson
F. Barney
G. Evil
H. Other
Romantic Intrest:
A. Katie Couric
B. There are no other options.
C. Ok fine, there's one other option.
D. Other
Common Enemies:
A.Trolls
B. Racoons
C. Outdated Computer Equipment
D. Virus Implanted Robots
E. Other
Helpful Ally:
A.Good Robots
B.Ace Brankwater, A no nonsence Private Eye With a Shady Backround and a Grudge against The Enemy.
C. Something far less serious
D. Other
Conclusion:
A.Happy
B.Sad
C.Confusing
D. Moraly Pleasing
E. Other

Choose accordingly and your Cave Game should be great!  ;D :D
What meme is relevant right now? Look, just imagine I'm riffing on that. Updating signatures is exhausting.

Sam:The Ploofy Master

Offline SumGI

• Joust Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2006, 07:36:04 pm »
Anyone got a better name for this thread? Heh heh, it really helps me.

Offline Vivec

• Gauntlet Wizard
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2006, 07:48:55 pm »
ZOMG GIVE ME CASH FOR MY GAME!!!!!!11!!!one!!!!

How's that?

Offline SumGI

• Joust Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: ZOMG GIVE ME CASH FOR MY GAME!!!!!!11!!!one!!!!
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2006, 08:07:52 pm »
OK, just until tomorrow  ;)
Screenie!

Screenie with static lighting and a floating gun.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2006, 08:27:00 pm by SumGI »

Offline Vivec

• Gauntlet Wizard
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2006, 08:09:12 pm »
Wow... I was kidding (i bet you couldn't tell) but it is so much better now.

And the cave is a bit small... But, good work!

Offline SumGI

• Joust Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2006, 08:27:49 pm »
Yeah, someone got a betterer name for this thread?

Offline Borogove

• Venture Conqueror
  • mimsy: adj. - flimsy and miserable :(
    • View Profile
    • Meyermike.com
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2006, 09:09:33 pm »
Interesting start.  Any plans for what the game will be like?
Use those talents you have. You will make it. You will give joy to the world. Take this tip from nature: The woods would be a very silent place if no birds sang except those who sang best.
-- Bernard Meltzer

Check out my games:  http://www.meyermike.com

Offline Vivec

• Gauntlet Wizard
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2006, 09:10:48 pm »
I think the game needs zombies.

They are awesome.

Offline SumGI

• Joust Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2006, 09:42:59 pm »
I was thinking a TES rip-off  :D but not at this point.

Offline Samog

• Ultima III Time Lord
  • objectivists are dumb
    • View Profile
    • -
Re: ::OFFICIAL:: Unnamed Game Thread ::
« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2006, 11:26:25 pm »
Bravo, sir. Bravo. I was going to say something stupid, but then I read the rest of the thread.

A good name for the thread would be "Play Clash of the Clans!" or maybe "AFNC is pretty cool" or even "Spelunkers from Hell -- The Game". Probably the third one, unless you prefer something alliterative like "Chaotic Cave Capers Plus".
"Fine. Don't believe me. I'm not lying. all your laziness which you mistake for something funney is driving me insane, quit fooling around!  dude this is just wrong, very wrong. reality does not consist of constrained language. go lock this thread malt. I love the payment."4MOD

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2006, 06:04:34 am »
Bravo, sir. Bravo. I was going to say something stupid, but then I read the rest of the thread.

A good name for the thread would be "Play Clash of the Clans!" or maybe "AFNC is pretty cool" or even "Spelunkers from Hell -- The Game". Probably the third one, unless you prefer something alliterative like "Chaotic Cave Capers Plus".
Play clash of the clans? How are we supposed to do that when 'Somoen' keeps losing things or screwing with rules without telling us.
Sam is basically right, he's just cranky.

Offline Vivec

• Gauntlet Wizard
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2006, 05:28:59 pm »
"AFNC is pretty cool"

Sure, if they hadn't just killed themselves off.

Offline SumGI

• Joust Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2006, 05:42:38 pm »
Yay, I just finished my basic cave segments!

They are as follows:

strait
dead-end
four-way cross
three-way cross
turn (both ways)
slope

Now I can actually start making my basic cave layout.  My basic idea is to be true to TES rip-offy-ness.  You start in the cave.  You make your way through the cave to the exit.  So I will base my layout on that.  Soon after, I will start adding gameplay, YAY!

Offline Vivec

• Gauntlet Wizard
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2006, 05:43:18 pm »
You could always make this with the TES Construction Set.

Offline SumGI

• Joust Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 21, 2006, 05:44:57 pm »
Yeah, but...I want alien LAZAR BEAMS
Oh, and the extra experience I will get with doing this.  AND I will probably come up with an original idea down the road, need to start somewhere you know.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2006, 05:46:51 pm by SumGI »