Author Topic: Battlestar Galactica  (Read 18109 times)

Offline GameManic

• Dragster Diehard
  • I can't let you leave.
    • View Profile
Battlestar Galactica
« on: January 08, 2006, 07:42:20 pm »
The second half of the second season just started off in Sci-fi so I decided to start a thread on this awesome show.  I am suprised such a great show hasn't ended up with a thread here so I am guessing there aren't any fans of the show here.
If there are what did you all think of this past episode Resurrection Ship Part 1.  That one was intense.  :o

"Listen, I mean that from my knowledge of the world that I see around me, I think that it is much more likely that the reports of flying saucers are the results of the known irrational characteristics of terrestrial intelligence than of the unknown rational efforts of extra-terrestrial intelligence."
-Richard Feynman

Offline Gaming Steve

• Master Chief
  • Dig Dug Digger
    • View Profile
    • Gaming Steve
Re: Battlestar Galactica
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2006, 10:20:53 pm »
I love this show! I was going to start a thread. It was okay last year, but it really has gotten better and better. And next week's episode looks awesome. Can't wait!
Check out Gaming Steve on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/thegamingsteve

Offline LoreAlmighty

• Asteroids Aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2006, 01:47:30 am »
Wow, that show bores the hell out of me.  I've never seen the original, but this new one makes me want to stay away from it.

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2006, 08:00:56 am »
We are all familiar with your sentiments about everything Lore. I'd quite like to see the new battlestar Galactica but over here its always in a timeslot which competes with something else i really want to watch :(
Sam is basically right, he's just cranky.

Offline GameManic

• Dragster Diehard
  • I can't let you leave.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2006, 02:59:50 pm »
Its a really great show.  Its not you typical action sci-fi show.  Its about the characters and what they end up having to do in their very desperate situation.  Plus it has Edward James Olmos.  ;D
"Listen, I mean that from my knowledge of the world that I see around me, I think that it is much more likely that the reports of flying saucers are the results of the known irrational characteristics of terrestrial intelligence than of the unknown rational efforts of extra-terrestrial intelligence."
-Richard Feynman

Offline Flayum

• Atari Combat Vet
  • Indoles Est Meus Mucro
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2006, 03:44:33 pm »
I watched the show since the miniseries in 2003 & was a little disappointed. With Season 1, I thought it was ok, no comparison to Stargate (SG1 or Atlantis), so I really didn't watch the 2nd season in July. However, after Christmas, after burning through every Star Trek movie, I noticed Sci-Fi had a marathon of their "Sci-Fi Friday" shows (SG1, Atlantis, & BSG). I really wanted to like BSG, so I thought I'd give Season 2 a shot. All I can now say is: I have seen the light. The first half of season 2 left me in a daze, I was so amazingly impressed. Really, BSG has really surpassed Stargate and give the best of Star Trek, in my opinion, a run for its money. I am just so amazed at how much the show has matured. The plots, the characters, and the scenes are just so amazing... I don't have the words to describe it. If a show usually takes 3-4 seasons to become "truly" good, I don't think I can survive the next few seasons...

If you're wondering whether or not to watch Battlestar Galactica, without delay, watch it at 10PM Friday on Sci-Fi. Just do it. You'll be amazed at the quality. However, I'd advise getting up to date, as it might be a little confusing. Buy the miniseries & Season 1. For about $35 each, they're a huge steal! For season 2, get the previous episodes any way you can. You won't regret it.
Indoles Est Meus Mucro

Offline GameManic

• Dragster Diehard
  • I can't let you leave.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2006, 04:10:57 pm »
I guess I am the only one who really enjoyed the show right from season 1.  I wasn't that impressed with the mini-series but after seeing the first episode "33" I ended up loving it from there.  All the philosophy and plots that get thrown in are great.  Its what some call a space opera.
-Richard Feynman

Offline Gaming Steve

• Master Chief
  • Dig Dug Digger
    • View Profile
    • Gaming Steve
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2006, 06:00:39 pm »
I agree with you Flayum, when I first saw the miniseries was REALLY put-off by the "cylons are human", which meant in my book "we don't have a lot of money for special effects, so now the cylons are humans". But then the first season began and it was definitely getting better, but it was in no way as good as SG-1 but I really liked the complex characters, not to mention the fantastic special effects and beautiful cinematography. And then season two started ... and I saw the light!

Season two really brought this show into its own and now I LOVE the "cylons are human" plot element. This show has just gotten better and better and it is quickly reaching into "legendary sci-fi" status as one of the all time best. Serious, if you haven't watched it before and you like sci-fi you must start watching this show. It is simply fantastic.
Check out Gaming Steve on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/thegamingsteve

Offline Interitus

• Mr. Do! Disciple
  • You just blipped on my radar
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2006, 10:07:05 pm »
The ever repeating war of "the best TV series" Both filmed in Vancouver, only been the set of Atlantis so I like that better. BTW the gate is rubber  :P
My karma ran over your dogma

Offline Lord Janos

• Wizardry Whiz
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2006, 09:00:03 am »
I'm tempted to buy the first series at a big discount of only 17.99 (think that's $35 or so perhaps, maybe a bit less).  I loved the mini seriies but don't have cable or Sky :(  Is it worth getting?  My friend down the road has it so i can just borrow his if need be.

Offline Golgrig

• Star Castle Cadet
  • I am Will Wright's complete lack of suprise.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2006, 08:35:26 pm »
"Resurrection Ship, Part 1/ 1-6-2006" this episode got to me on so many levels

Spoiler:
anyone see the preview for tomorrow's episode.....

Adam askes Starbuck to kill Cain
And Cain asks her XO to kill Adama

either he fails or starbuck shoots first

but after hearing the report that Cain stripped its civillian fleet for spare parts I agree that Adama needs to strike first

I can't wait to see what the outcome of the cylon/ human hybrid plot
« Last Edit: January 12, 2006, 11:36:41 pm by golgrig »
"6.4 Um's per minute" or "The Speed of Wright

An adventurer in the land of who gives a ****

The idea is to mix one ingredient that will burn very fast with a second ingredient that will supply enough oxygen for that burning. This burns so fast, it's an explosion.

Offline Flayum

• Atari Combat Vet
  • Indoles Est Meus Mucro
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2006, 01:38:05 pm »
I'm tempted to buy the first series at a big discount of only 17.99 (think that's $35 or so perhaps, maybe a bit less).  I loved the mini seriies but don't have cable or Sky   Is it worth getting?  My friend down the road has it so i can just borrow his if need be.

Yes! Yes!! Yes!!! Compared to the Star Trek DVDs @ $100+, these are a steal! Really, anyone buying these should be charged for robbery. I'd run to you're friend's house now and start watching. I'm not sure if Season 1 has the miniseries, though, you should see that just for the plot. You could, however, wait for the 2nd season (full, not the "Season 2.0" DVD- it only has the first 1/2 of the season) to come out & splurge then in one sitting.
Indoles Est Meus Mucro

Offline GameManic

• Dragster Diehard
  • I can't let you leave.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2006, 08:21:57 pm »
I was looking around the web and it looks like TIME magazine has named Battlestar Galactica the best show of 2005.
Here is the link http://www.time.com/time/arts/article/0,8599,1141640,00.html
-Richard Feynman

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2006, 02:21:39 pm »
Is this the same Time magazine that called Dubyah the person of the year? ;)
Sam is basically right, he's just cranky.

Offline Flayum

• Atari Combat Vet
  • Indoles Est Meus Mucro
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2006, 03:22:52 pm »
Also named #1 (or in the Top 10), by TV Guide's Matt Roush & AFI, not to mention a whole bunch of not-so-big names/bloggers.
Indoles Est Meus Mucro