Author Topic: Should I get a DS?  (Read 8273 times)

Offline Piloteer

• Ensign Seventh Class
  • We're going to hit the mountain!
    • View Profile
Re: Should I get a DS?
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2006, 07:33:14 pm »
It's funny, I originally bought my GBA (The original GBA) for $70 a few years ago, and now you can get a used one for $20-$30!

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2006, 07:37:35 pm »
Or you can get a DS that plays GBA games and DS games... I don't understand why so many people still refuse to get a DS though and get a GBA...

Offline Piloteer

• Ensign Seventh Class
  • We're going to hit the mountain!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2006, 07:50:42 pm »
Or you can get a DS that plays GBA games and DS games... I don't understand why so many people still refuse to get a DS though and get a GBA...

Or the people on the Gamespot forums that always ask whether they shuld get a GBA or a DS. It's really a no brainer. You might as well just put down the extra $50 and get a DS (or $65 for the DS Lite, but whatever).

Is anyone here who already has a DS getting the DS Lite?

Offline Cruithne

• Sea Battler
    • View Profile
    • Liquorice Bomb
« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2006, 06:03:10 am »
Yes, I am.

I justify it by telling myself that having two of them at hand means I can play multiplayer with anyone who visits me.

Offline IscariotJ

• Fire Truck Driver
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2006, 01:16:36 am »
I bought a DS shortly after it came out, played Mario64 and the Metroid demo on it for a couple of months, then put it to the side due to lack of must have games, and went back to my SP ( Mario & Luigi SS, Mario vs DK, FF Tactics ).  I could/should have played them on the DS, but the SP fits in my pocket better :)

Since getting Mario Kart, I've even started to neglect my WoW account.  I've just M&L Partners In Time, to tide me over until Animal Crossing ( I live in the UK, and didn't want to import ).

In short, buy one.

Offline Djfinny

• Asteroids Aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2006, 05:46:30 am »
Hmm, as a GBA owner I've also been thinking about getting a DS for a while now. One big plus that I didn't know about till this post was that GBA/SP games will work in a DS (I'm still playing Mario/Lugi SSS and Advance Wars 2). I'm still kinda holding out for the DS Lite as I would like a smaller portable and I'd like to see what the lite version looks like first.

DJ

Offline BPM

• Asteroids Aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 19, 2006, 11:01:09 pm »
I've been semi-unconsciously trying to break my DS touch screen while playing Ouendan so that I have an actual reason to have to buy a DS Lite once it comes out...

Hasn't worked yet...
Currently playing:

Rocket Slime (DS)             Guitar Hero II (PS2)
Resistance (PS3)               Zelda (Wii)

So many good games, so little time...

Offline Cruithne

• Sea Battler
    • View Profile
    • Liquorice Bomb
« Reply #22 on: March 10, 2006, 01:47:12 am »
As if you needed another reason to invest in a DS.

http://www.lik-sang.com/news.php?artc=3797&likref=html13

Offline WinterSnowblind

• BurgerTime Chef
  • Exitus Acta Probat
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 10, 2006, 07:14:23 am »
The DS is more than definatly worth getting, probably the best gaming system available.  Although the touch screen is used for nothing more than a gimmick in most games, it can be a really good feature, and is pretty fun to use, at least at first.  I spent hours in Mario 64 just drawing and playing the mini-games, but once the novelty wears off, you still have the really great games to play.  Animal Crossing, Peach, etc.  The new Super Mario brothers is out May, first classic Mario game in 15 years.

And of course there's the Pokemon games, I know most people will just dismiss them as a kiddy franchise that Nintendo won't stop milking.  And for the most part, that would be right, but the actuall main series of RPG's are really good.  And I challenge anyone to find a more in-depth RPG.  You build up a team of 6, from a choice of hundreds, have to strategicaly train them, give them the right moves, etc.

But I'd recommend waiting for the DS lite.  If the DS has any problems it's that it's slightly too bulky and can hurt to keep holding for more than half an hour, it doesn't make for a very good portable system.  But the Lite is much smaller, more compact, lighter and has a MUCH brighter screen.  It would definatly be worth waiting for one of them.

Offline MadGiraffe

• Adventure Ace
  • Hmmm, colours.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 10, 2006, 11:03:12 am »
No don't get DS, seriously. Wait a bit till they get cheap like I'm doing. Then buy it. It's idiocy to buy somthing you know is going to be cheaper in sometime and then cheaper again.

And then get all the popular games you can find.

Did the same for the N64, GameCube, SNES and NES, works magnificently. You need to check the prices and availability frequently though. But I more like to waste my time then my money.

Personal art galleries:

Offline BPM

• Asteroids Aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 10, 2006, 05:28:58 pm »

Did the same for the N64, GameCube, SNES and NES, works magnificently. You need to check the prices and availability frequently though. But I more like to waste my time then my money.

But isn't time == money? And therefore you're net balance will end up being something close to zero anyway?  ;D
Currently playing:

Rocket Slime (DS)             Guitar Hero II (PS2)
Resistance (PS3)               Zelda (Wii)

So many good games, so little time...

Offline MadGiraffe

• Adventure Ace
  • Hmmm, colours.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 10, 2006, 06:37:48 pm »

But isn't time == money? And therefore you're net balance will end up being something close to zero anyway? ;D

No because money is something you have to put time in, so actually it is time spent at itself, even before you did. So I think money>time. Because it is a step further.

Personal art galleries:

Offline 762

• Goddess of Phobos
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 10, 2006, 07:57:41 pm »
I don't agree with that. If you wait too long, it will be obsolete and there will be an even higher price for the new replacement. And, at some point, the price stops going down.

I got it for 120 bucks, and I got 2 games on eBay for 50 bucks. It seemed like a good deal to me, so I took it and I haven't regretted it yet.

Spore countdowns: USA Europe

Offline Cobra

• All Your Base Zero Wing
  • People want ducks.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 10, 2006, 08:09:39 pm »
When I get new systems I ussually wait for at least the 1st price drop before I go out and spend my money The DS for example I waitied until there were a better selection of games to come out with it as a result it didn't cost me as much and I have plenty of titles to choose from. There is no need to wait until the end of a systems life cycle to get something.

Offline MadGiraffe

• Adventure Ace
  • Hmmm, colours.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 10, 2006, 11:29:38 pm »
I don't agree with that. If you wait too long, it will be obsolete and there will be an even higher price for the new replacement. And, at some point, the price stops going down.

I got it for 120 bucks, and I got 2 games on eBay for 50 bucks. It seemed like a good deal to me, so I took it and I haven't regretted it yet.

That's why I said you should check frequently. And that there will be a new system is nonsense. That new system has either nothing really new which is worth the extra money(for me) or has completely new games and all so you can't compare.

Personal art galleries: