Author Topic: The DS needs Super Smash Bros.  (Read 11617 times)

Offline Cruithne

• Sea Battler
    • View Profile
    • Liquorice Bomb
Re: The DS needs Super Smash Bros.
« Reply #30 on: May 13, 2006, 10:55:17 am »
I've got a confession to make.

I've never played SSB.

does this make me a bad person?

:P

Offline Cobra

• All Your Base Zero Wing
  • People want ducks.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 13, 2006, 10:18:26 pm »
If you own a N64 or GC then yes its does. Well actulyl not so much bad as foolish.

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 14, 2006, 01:26:25 am »
Go play it right now!

Now!
Sam is basically right, he's just cranky.

Offline WiiForever

• Lunar Lander Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 16, 2006, 12:01:10 am »
Wow

You don't know what you're missing.

Just get a couple of friends and you'll go for hours of nonstop playing.
It's awesome.

Offline PHI-1618

• Star Wars Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 16, 2006, 01:10:47 pm »
I've got a confession to make.

I've never played SSB.

does this make me a bad person?

:P
Absolutely! :)

Offline Piloteer

• Ensign Seventh Class
  • We're going to hit the mountain!
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 16, 2006, 05:03:54 pm »
Meh, to tell you the truth I never really got into Smash Bros. My friends and I used to play it a bit on the N64, but afterward, I dunno, its just a game we never really got into.

I mostly play sports games with my friends, to tell you the truth, whether its baseball, hockey, golf, or Tony Hawk. We find these to be much more entertaining.

Thats just us though. Its not that we dont like Smash Bros., me and my friends just really aren't into it.

Offline PHI-1618

• Star Wars Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 17, 2006, 07:59:11 am »
Meh, to tell you the truth I never really got into Smash Bros. My friends and I used to play it a bit on the N64, but afterward, I dunno, its just a game we never really got into.

I mostly play sports games with my friends, to tell you the truth, whether its baseball, hockey, golf, or Tony Hawk. We find these to be much more entertaining.

Thats just us though. Its not that we dont like Smash Bros., me and my friends just really aren't into it.

That's very different from me then. I mostly find sports videogames boring beyond measure. (Maybe the Wii will change that, who knows?) And my friends are the same way: We just think they're dull. As for Tony Hawk: I like it fine, I just wish people couldn't get such high scores for spamming moves without actually doing the move fully. It's cheap and unrealistic. In fact, I think if someone tries to spam moves, the moment you break out of momentum of a move, you should just crash onto your side or something. I prefer making the moves look nice, go through the full routine; I don't button-mash like you need to to pull off some of those scores people get.

Offline Piloteer

• Ensign Seventh Class
  • We're going to hit the mountain!
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 17, 2006, 04:33:52 pm »

That's very different from me then. I mostly find sports videogames boring beyond measure. (Maybe the Wii will change that, who knows?) And my friends are the same way: We just think they're dull. As for Tony Hawk: I like it fine, I just wish people couldn't get such high scores for spamming moves without actually doing the move fully. It's cheap and unrealistic. In fact, I think if someone tries to spam moves, the moment you break out of momentum of a move, you should just crash onto your side or something. I prefer making the moves look nice, go through the full routine; I don't button-mash like you need to to pull off some of those scores people get.

Thats the great part about Tony Hawk though, is that its not realistic. Of course no real human could pull off some of these massive combo tricks, but thats what makes the game so great, is that its possible to do crazy combos that in real life are impossible. Its sort of a gambling game; if you go on in your combo, your score will multiply fast, but should you fall, you lose your whole combo.

I guess it depends if you like sports in real life though. I really don't care for basketball or football in real life, and I also happen to not really like Madden. However, I love to play and watch hockey, and I really like NHL 2K6. Same with baseball (but I only watch baseball, I dont play it).

Offline PHI-1618

• Star Wars Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 18, 2006, 07:09:21 am »
Thats the great part about Tony Hawk though, is that its not realistic. Of course no real human could pull off some of these massive combo tricks, but thats what makes the game so great, is that its possible to do crazy combos that in real life are impossible. Its sort of a gambling game; if you go on in your combo, your score will multiply fast, but should you fall, you lose your whole combo.

I think I didn't state what I meant very well. I don't care that you're able to pull off combos that are impossible in real life. What I don't like is how people smash the buttons, cutting off the moves before they're finished or even hardly started, just to get a higher score for linking six tricks in one air. Now my problem is simple: Oftentimes these tricks will cancel each other out to the point where it doesn't look like your skateboarder is even doing anything other than twitching wildly in the air. Which isn't impressive to me. It makes them look like they're having a seizure. I think you should have to finish a move before you can do another one, and the timing that would require would make the game far more interesting to me. Because if all it's going to amount to is button-mashing -- hell, I can do that with the best of them -- but that's weak gameplay, IMO.

I guess it depends if you like sports in real life though. I really don't care for basketball or football in real life, and I also happen to not really like Madden. However, I love to play and watch hockey, and I really like NHL 2K6. Same with baseball (but I only watch baseball, I dont play it).

I used to be quite athletic when I was younger and played nearly every sport imaginable, but I suffered an injury that sidelined me for life. I'll never be able to play sports again competitively. And that's fine. I can live with that. But videogames take so much control over what's happening out of your hands that the sports just aren't interesting to me in this format. Golf games are playable, but the rest are just mind-numbingly dull to me.

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 18, 2006, 07:48:01 am »
In conclusion Super Smash brothers is a good game. Possibly the best game.
Sam is basically right, he's just cranky.

Offline PHI-1618

• Star Wars Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 18, 2006, 07:50:46 am »
In conclusion Super Smash brothers is a good game. Possibly the best game.

Definitely one of the best multiplayer games, yes. :)

Offline mini.boss

• Galaxian Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 18, 2006, 09:49:10 am »

Yeah, I'm there too. I kept hearing people talk so highly about SSBM and so i got it and found it to be a bit of a button crusher so we didn't get into it. Then I was told I was playing it wrong and skill is involved so i did the 1player mode to learn and master the controls and now that I understand it more... i'm still bored. IMO, there are much better fighters I'd rather play.

One thing that will make me buy these SSB games though is the compilation of characters. As a sucker for Nintendo franchises, its just so cool to see Mario, Link, Samus etc all in one game. And SSBB looks even better with a larger cast and Zero Suit Samus. But still, as a game then I just don't get why its so highly praised. (no offense fans. sign me up if it comes out on DS)