Author Topic: Should I get a DS?  (Read 8269 times)

Offline 762

• Goddess of Phobos
    • View Profile
Should I get a DS?
« on: January 07, 2006, 08:45:24 am »
I'm wondering if I should get a DS. Animal Crossing is a big selling point for me, and I want 2 other great games before I consider a purchase. If anyone knows any fun simulation/ FPS (I know, they're completely different genres, but I like them both) games that have come out or will come out for the DS, please post them here.

Also, does anyone foresee a price drop in the near future?

Spore countdowns: USA Europe

Offline LadyM

• Mortal Kombat Konqueror
  • I'm not confused anymore
    • View Profile
    • LadyMpire
Re: Should I get a DS?
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2006, 08:48:12 am »
Yes, you should get a DS. I have had it for a year but am just now using it alot. Here are the games I have:

Animal Crossing
Mario Kart
Sims: The Urbz
Nintendogs
Super Mario

Offline 762

• Goddess of Phobos
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2006, 09:00:25 am »
The main thing that's holding me back is the fact that I bought a GBA and played it about 5 times then returned it a year later. LadyM, when you had a GBA, how often did you play?

Also, how much did it start out costing and how much does it cost now? And how much will it cost in a month?

Offline LadyM

• Mortal Kombat Konqueror
  • I'm not confused anymore
    • View Profile
    • LadyMpire
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2006, 10:20:24 am »
My GBA use might be unusual. I originally bought a GBA so I could hook up to the GC in Animal Crossing and in Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles. By having a GBA you could visit an Island in AC and it brought a new dimension to the game. I also got an e-reader which added even a third element to the game and is used with the GBA. I upgraded to an SP because it was easier to see the screen.

In FF:CC it enables you to play with three other people. I upgraded to the GBA because it was easier to see. I had a few GBA games like Sims but I then found Harvet Moon: Friends of Mineral Town and I played daily. You could also hook up to the Harvest Moon Wonderful Life game.

So now the SP sits unused because I now have the DS which I bought in anticipation of Animal Crossing.

Offline 762

• Goddess of Phobos
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2006, 10:41:05 am »
Anyone else have an opinion? I put an eBay bid in up to 90 bucks, I'm not sure if I'll win.

So now that that's done, what do people say about games?

Offline Pando

• Spy Hunter Spook
  • panda? yes please
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2006, 10:56:34 am »
They cost $120 now, but you can get it with Mario Kart for $150 or Nintendogs.

Offline Cruithne

• Sea Battler
    • View Profile
    • Liquorice Bomb
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2006, 11:16:52 am »
I am very glad to have bought the DS.

Great games like the ones LadyM mentioned, and the backwards compatibility.
I was really looking forward to the PSP before it came out, but as far as I can see, it is only really good if you want to watch movies with just one or two must have games.

And even though no-one has said anything, I'm gonna bet there are some great Revolution/DS compatibilty functions waiting for us.

Offline Piloteer

• Ensign Seventh Class
  • We're going to hit the mountain!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2006, 11:45:06 am »
I'm wondering if I should get a DS. Animal Crossing is a big selling point for me, and I want 2 other great games before I consider a purchase. If anyone knows any fun simulation/ FPS (I know, they're completely different genres, but I like them both) games that have come out or will come out for the DS, please post them here.

When I bought my GBA, I bought 2 games with it, played them for a month or two, then I didn't touch my GBA for 3 years! I still havent played it since. However, with the DS, I play it just as much as I do my PS2. The cool thing about the DS is that because it's so different and has such unique games, you don't have to play it in a car or on an airplane to have fun. Most of the times I've played my DS, I've played it at home. I practically consider it like another console rather than a "portable".

Also, a great FPS to look for in the near future is Metroid Prime: Hunters. It comes out on March 20th, and the really cool part about it is that you'll be able to connect to the internet and play with other people around the world.

Go to this link and click on the video that says Metroid Prime: Hunters Official Movie 3 You'll see how awesome this game is:

http://www.gamespot.com/ds/action/dsmetroidprimehunters/media.html?mode=all

Offline Borogove

• Venture Conqueror
  • mimsy: adj. - flimsy and miserable :(
    • View Profile
    • Meyermike.com
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2006, 03:45:31 pm »
I really love my DS, but I have to admit that I still mostly play GBA games on it (Gotta catch 'em all, you know).  Phoenix Wright Wright was an awesome DS-only game I loved, but I heard somewhere it is actually a combination and port of several GBA games that never made it to the U.S. 

Oddly, while I didn't use the GBA all that much, I now play GBA games all the time on my DS.

Everyone I talk to who picked up a DS seems to absolutely love it.  Especially now that Animal Crossing and Mario Kart are out.

I guess it boils down to the kind of games you want to play.  If you're all about racing sims, sports, and first person shooters(aside from Metroid if it counts) then it probably isn't the system for you.  If you're like me and you love silly fun, the DS is perfect.
Use those talents you have. You will make it. You will give joy to the world. Take this tip from nature: The woods would be a very silent place if no birds sang except those who sang best.
-- Bernard Meltzer

Check out my games:  http://www.meyermike.com

Offline Piloteer

• Ensign Seventh Class
  • We're going to hit the mountain!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2006, 04:28:20 pm »
I really love my DS, but I have to admit that I still mostly play GBA games on it (Gotta catch 'em all, you know). Phoenix Wright Wright was an awesome DS-only game I loved, but I heard somewhere it is actually a combination and port of several GBA games that never made it to the U.S.

Oddly, while I didn't use the GBA all that much, I now play GBA games all the time on my DS.

Everyone I talk to who picked up a DS seems to absolutely love it. Especially now that Animal Crossing and Mario Kart are out.

I guess it boils down to the kind of games you want to play. If you're all about racing sims, sports, and first person shooters(aside from Metroid if it counts) then it probably isn't the system for you. If you're like me and you love silly fun, the DS is perfect.

Same here. I only got an original GBA (Didnt get an SP) and now that I have a DS, Im finding myself picking up all of the great GBA games Ive missed over the last few years.

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2006, 04:29:46 pm »

When I bought my GBA, I bought 2 games with it, played them for a month or two, then I didn't touch my GBA for 3 years! I still havent played it since. However, with the DS, I play it just as much as I do my PS2. The cool thing about the DS is that because it's so different and has such unique games, you don't have to play it in a car or on an airplane to have fun. Most of the times I've played my DS, I've played it at home. I practically consider it like another console rather than a "portable".

Also, a great FPS to look for in the near future is Metroid Prime: Hunters. It comes out on March 20th, and the really cool part about it is that you'll be able to connect to the internet and play with other people around the world.

Go to this link and click on the video that says Metroid Prime: Hunters Official Movie 3 You'll see how awesome this game is:

http://www.gamespot.com/ds/action/dsmetroidprimehunters/media.html?mode=all

My God! Those graphics are amzing for a DS! Must buy Hunters, must buy Hunters...
Sam is basically right, he's just cranky.

Offline Cobra

• All Your Base Zero Wing
  • People want ducks.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2006, 11:16:23 pm »
My pockets are looking a little empty right now but I have to get mario and Luigi super saga for GBA I have an sp but chances are I'll only use it while the DS is in the charger. I have animal crossing and Mario Kart for DS love them to death what I really like is in the DS case the games them selves come in aside from having part where the game actully sits theres also a bit where GBA games fit so instead of having all my GBA games laying all over my room the they sit in the DS games case.

My friend said he when he got Mario Kart that he thought the online part would be a gimik he would play once or twice but he got addicted to it and loves it. Get your DS get it online and go nuts.

Offline Cruithne

• Sea Battler
    • View Profile
    • Liquorice Bomb
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2006, 06:42:42 pm »
An online RPG for the DS?

http://forums.idlethumbs.net/showthread.php?p=53976

it just keeps getting better and better.

Offline Sensei Jinx

• Mystery House Madman
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2006, 07:45:29 pm »
There are tons of great games for the DS. Off of the top of my head I can think of: Kirby: Canvas Curse, Mario Kart DS, Animal Crossing, Meteos, Metroid Prime Pinball, Advance Wars DS, Castlevania DoS, Mario and Luigi: Partners in Time, Phoenix Wright, Trauma Center, and more. Looking at the current library and upcoming games there are games for just about everybody coming out for the DS...

Oh, and remember that the DS does play GBA games, meaning you can play all of the dozens of great GBA games on it as well.

Offline Danzik

• Gyruss Gyrusian
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2006, 06:28:06 pm »
My GBA use might be unusual. I originally bought a GBA so I could hook up to the GC in Animal Crossing...

This didn't suprise me at all ;)