Author Topic: Episode 33 Posted  (Read 4169 times)

Offline SurfMurph

• Brain Games Mastermind
    • View Profile
    • My blog on MSN Spaces
Episode 33 Posted
« on: January 06, 2006, 08:20:25 am »
Sorry, Steve, I couldn't find a thread to post comments on your latest podcast, #33.
I finally got through this one on my way to work this morning. (I have a 45 min. commute, one-way, from home to office, so after a few trips, I can usually get through one of your podcasts)

I really learned a lot from this podcast with your discussion of the negative financial articles about Take Two, and the influence of Herb Greenberg has on how Take Two is perceived by the financial X-perts. Thanks for filling us in. I don't follow the stock side of the gaming industry at all.

I played the demo of Condemned and will pick this up when I finish the other titles I got at launch for the 360. Maybe I'll save a few $$s by waiting. Plus I'll need to have an EKG done to make sure my heart can take playing this game. Mega-scary, easily the scariest demo of a game I've ever played on any system. As I told some of my co-workers here, I was scared "shirtless".  :)

I also really enjoyed listening to your analysis of the Japanese video game market. You touched on this more than once in your podcast, and as a long time gamer, it totally makes sense to me why Western markets (U.S. and Europe) are so different from the Japanese markets. I actually think U.S. game publishers will have a much easier time cracking the Chinese and Korean markets than they ever will with the Japanese market.

You "softened" your stance a little on no jumping in Perfect Dark being tied to the game being rushed. I agree this game was rushed to get it shipped at launch; too much evidence supporting this conjecture. But I disagree that no jumping is also tied to the game being rushed. My main argument is that if you look at the history of FPS games from this developer, Rare, you'll see that they don't put jump functionality in their games. Goldeneye and Perfect Dark are two classic FPSes that Rare developed--guess what? No jumping in those games either. I also agree with you that level/map balancing becomes much easier without jumping, which may be why Rare doesn't like putting jumping in their FPSes. But something as critical as jumping is to basic gameplay, those decisions are made pretty early in the design process. Movement and combat for FPSes are designed early as they influence level design, enemy AI, enemy numbers, etc. later on in the design process.

Thanks for using some older video games as sources for your "Name That Game!" segment. I'm better at those than some of the late 80s/early 90s game sounds. (due to an assignment I had in the USAF at the time, I went a few years without being able to play many video games)

My earliest video game moment: Not sure of the exact year, 1973?, my Dad brought home a Magnavox Odyssey system. This was even before my brother and I had ever seen Pong or Space Wars, so we were in awe. Hitting a moving small square with two rectangles was a blast. Handball, hockey, wh :D
Within a few years, the local pool hall bought a Space Wars game. And then a Lunar Lander game. And I was hooked for life.
I didn't play my first game of Pong until I went to college in 1979. I remember my first thought was, wow, our Odyssey is better than this. :-D

« Last Edit: January 06, 2006, 11:08:44 am by Gaming Steve »

Offline Gaming Steve

• Master Chief
  • Dig Dug Digger
    • View Profile
    • Gaming Steve
Re: Episode 33 Posted
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2006, 11:08:06 am »
Why not start off the new year with a healthy dose of some Gaming Steve? I'm back with the first podcast of 2006, enjoy!

Gaming Steve Episode 30 Program
  • 00:02:17  Game News:
    • Pokemon USA threatens to sue cancer researchers.
    • World of Warcraft pop 5 million and counting.
    • Monster WOW patch released.
    • G4 takes on Trek.
    • EA adjusts earnings downward.
    • NHL checks EA exclusivity offer.
    • Judge blocks California game law.
    • Jack Thompson buys shares in Take-Two.
    • Video games get commemorative postage stamps.
    • Why was Take-Two's Paul Eibeler the "Worst CEO of 2005"?
  • 00:35:03  GameTalk: Too much mail! Moved this week to the Show Mail segment.
  • 00:35:53  SporeTalk: A look at my third exclusive Spore artwork and important Spore-related dates.
  • 00:42:19  Game Review: Condemned: Criminal Origins for the Xbox 360.
  • 00:58:30  RetroReview: The Bard's Tale for the IBM PC, Apple ][, Apple ][GS, Commodore 64, Atari ST, Amstrad CPC, Amiga, NES, Macintosh, and Sinclair ZX.
  • 01:11:33  “Name That Game!” contest winner from last week, a new clip, and a very cool prize!
  • 01:14:14  Show Mail: I answer your many email questions.
  • 02:13:12  Final Thoughts on ... does anyone listen to this section?

Get the Podcast from this page (136 minutes): Gaming Steve Episode 33 (MP3).

Subscribe to the Podcast directly in iTunes (MP3).
Add the Gaming Steve Podcast feed to your RSS aggregator.
Vote for Gaming Steve on Podcast Alley.

To enter the "Name that Game!" contest to write me an email with the name of the game and the platform at: game AT gamingsteve.com
Check out Gaming Steve on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/thegamingsteve

Offline Kid Dogg

• Mystery House Madman
  • Classical Trained
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2006, 11:58:41 am »
Jack Thompson up to more trouble, maybe they should put a Jack Thompson like figure in the next GTA that would be fun. if they did that I'd love to see the look on his face.  ;D

Offline T-BirD

• Battlezone Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2006, 12:01:53 pm »
Why not a gigantic statue of him in front of the courthouse?  ;D

It could be a favorite hangout for pigeons...and we all know what pigeons do.

Actually, Rockstar should be paying Thompson - he's given them insane amounts of semi-free advertising.  I guess the statue could have a caption like "In honor of our greatest contributor".

Offline Darkel

• Space Invaders Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2006, 12:05:57 pm »
Steve, if possible, if you go to the T2 meeting, show up in a kilt with a single malt whiskey in your hand.

Infact, if you can, get everyone to.

Offline Kid Dogg

• Mystery House Madman
  • Classical Trained
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2006, 12:14:30 pm »
Why not a gigantic statue of him in front of the courthouse?  ;D

It could be a favorite hangout for pigeons...and we all know what pigeons do.

Actually, Rockstar should be paying Thompson - he's given them insane amounts of semi-free advertising.  I guess the statue could have a caption like "In honor of our greatest contributor".

hahaahh. Yeah Thompson just keeps fulling the flames of GTA's popularity.

Steve if you do got to the T2 meeting can you see about Podcasting it, it be good for a Joke just to show how sad Thompson relay is.

Offline Gaming Steve

• Master Chief
  • Dig Dug Digger
    • View Profile
    • Gaming Steve
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2006, 12:20:57 pm »
By the way, do you want to see firsthand just how much Herb Greenberg HATES Take Two take a look at his column today. He does this all the time, been going on for over FOUR YEARS now, and I don't seem him stopping until Take Two is out of business.

Herb Greenberg hates Take Two, do you think?

Offline Kid Dogg

• Mystery House Madman
  • Classical Trained
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2006, 12:29:49 pm »
i see what you mean by hates take 2. he just cant let go can he. guess they should put him in the next game to.

Offline SurfMurph

• Brain Games Mastermind
    • View Profile
    • My blog on MSN Spaces
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2006, 01:27:01 pm »
wow, you're totally right, Steve. This guy has T2 in his sights for sure. Thanks for the link.

Offline Kid Dogg

• Mystery House Madman
  • Classical Trained
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2006, 02:27:15 pm »
Doesn't this affect his credibility as a journalist?
If he's this hateful against one company is his credibility called in to question?
or I'm i being naive

Offline Kagan

• Crazy Climber Cuckoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2006, 05:36:23 pm »
If he's this hateful against one company is his credibility called in to question?
or I'm i being naive

Yes.

Offline Gaming Steve

• Master Chief
  • Dig Dug Digger
    • View Profile
    • Gaming Steve
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2006, 05:49:48 pm »
or I'm i being naive

He's not a journalist. He's a "financial analyst", this is basically what he does (they all do this). He writes about stocks that he likes/hates and, well, that's about it really. Oh yeah, and people pay him HUGE money for his opinion on stocks. I have no idea what his track record is but most of these guys are pretty bad compared to the "average" investor. I've been following him for a few years and he's a pretty hateful guy. The "worst" part is that he's actually quite intelligent so his arguments are usually pretty good. But he just writes about what he wants to write about and ignores everything else.

For example, right now other analysts are saying that just the brands and people (i.e. Rockstar) are worth millions so the stock price probably can't go much lower, and if it does Take Two will be taken over by another company just to get and control their brands. In his column he is basically saying that Take Two's brands are worthless, so there is no reason for another company (such as EA) to take them over even if the stock price is low. He is saying that Take Two is nothing more than a "flash in the pan" and will be out of business and totally worthless in short order.

That is, of course, totally incorrect. The GTA series is insanely popular and a huge money maker, plus you would get Rockstar, Max Payne, and everything Take Two is working on if they were bought out by another company. On top of that the company has no debt and almost $200 million in the bank. So if you buy them, you get all of that cash as well!

This guy can say anything he wants, but it doesn't make it true. Always always always be wary of financial analysts and make sure to do your own homework!

Offline Kid Dogg

• Mystery House Madman
  • Classical Trained
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2006, 02:01:26 pm »
So basically so long as he keeps making huge sums of money he can do what he wants. man that sucks.

Offline Atari Man

• Brain Games Mastermind
  • >[insert catchy phrase here]<
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2006, 04:17:08 pm »
Great podcast. Your game review also made me want to go out and buy condemned. Though I suppose I'll have to buy a 360 to play it, like that'll happen.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2006, 04:18:58 pm by Atari Man »