Author Topic: Episode 32 Posted  (Read 9121 times)

Offline T-BirD

• Battlezone Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Episode 32 Posted
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2006, 11:59:24 am »
Firstly, I have to say Quake 2 was FAR superior to Quake 1. The don't even compare in multiplayer. The main reason is simple: MOUSE LOOK. You had full control over looking up and down...all over. This changed the entire genre...before this, FPSs were mostly crappy in the multiplayer department.

Umm...unless I totally misread you, I must ask - what were you smoking back then?  Quake I was the first truly 3d shooter and it most definitely HAD mouselook!  The only limitation it had was the angle was restricted to 88 or 89 degrees up and down instead of the full 90.

What did Quake 2 do better in my opinion?  Story-based single player.  Grenades.  Crouching (useful in single player at least).  Graphics (the "Father Frags Best" machinima made good use of the engine.)  What did it destroy?  The speed and intensity of multiplayer.  The "solid" feel of levels (well, quakeworld started this with its prediction code...useful for those with bad connections, but some things were sacrificed).  The "OOMPH" of weapons, most specifically the rocket launcher.  The Quake name was slandered as far as I'm concerned.

I still have an old email of a friend with whom I had the Quake 1 vs 2 debate for well over a year.  One day he publically apologized (out of the blue...I was totally not expecting this) to our mailing list, and said that, after much reflection and a new computer that played both equally well, I was right after all =/

However, it really just goes back to "what floats your boat"...and "Quake" 2 most CERTAINLY didn't float mine.

Offline eXistenZ

• Brain Games Mastermind
    • View Profile
    • Oddfellow Magazine
« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2006, 08:19:04 am »
Fair enough.

If I recall properly, Q1 didn't have true mouse look. The ability to look up and down with the mouse was restricted, and had to be bound to a button. Perhaps I was smoking something back then. But I remember the mouselook being mostly on the horizontal...how could I have confused this?

Ah well.

Offline Gaming Steve

• Master Chief
  • Dig Dug Digger
    • View Profile
    • Gaming Steve
« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2006, 08:30:19 am »
Oh no he Didn't!

Steve did not just auto-post some mundane obvious off-topic stuff on top of the post I started. Wow, I didn't realize he does stuff like that. To top it off, he didn't even reply to my issues on the podcast he's auto-posting about. And lastly, he actually changed the subject line of this thread to suit his needs. Clearly my topic isn't about Podcast # 32...it's about an ISSUE I had with 32--Wow...this changes everything

Ok, I understand...he doesn't read these posts--he's a busy man. I just wasn't aware of this practice. No offense to anyone.

I read all the posts, especially the ones in the "Random Encounters" section. I was just cleaning up the posts and thought it would make more sense to your comments into this thread. That is all.
Check out Gaming Steve on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/thegamingsteve

Offline Alan

• Boot Hill Bandit
    • View Profile
    • alanlongstaff.net
« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2006, 08:40:40 am »
I actually missed this episode so I'm catching up now while typing this.

Since I haven't got onto the top 2005 games yet, I can't really comment on what was said about BF2. However, without hearing it, I'd say that it's one of my favourite FPS this year, if not all time.

Yes, it has flaws and problems, and yes, it doesn't tend to get much support from EA, but for the most part this game is amazing. Unlike a lot of other developers releasing sequels, Dice have stayed with their roots when making this, and haven't moved away from what made BF great. In essence it's the same game, but made a lot better.
The way they have managed to include all the weapons, kits and vehicles they have, and still keep the balance fair (for the most part), it's really quite an achievement. I'd definitely say this was the best online FPS made last year. It's the one that I keep going back to when I don't know what to play, and replayability in a game is an excellent thing to have.

Just for the record, I've also had very little problems with BF2. Maybe that's to do with my machine, but even things like the 'red tag bug' haven't really been a problem for me. :)

Offline T-BirD

• Battlezone Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2006, 05:02:29 pm »
If I recall properly, Q1 didn't have true mouse look. The ability to look up and down with the mouse was restricted, and had to be bound to a button. Perhaps I was smoking something back then. But I remember the mouselook being mostly on the horizontal...how could I have confused this?

Nope, binding mouse look to a button was an option, but by default it was...well...bound to mouse movement.

Offline Gaming Steve

• Master Chief
  • Dig Dug Digger
    • View Profile
    • Gaming Steve
« Reply #20 on: January 09, 2006, 08:50:58 pm »
Just so people understand I was trying to play BF2 with some of my friends and within 5 minutes of playing one of them, or more, would always lock up or crash. Eventually we just stopped trying, which was one the reasons for my frustration with the game. What is the point of trying to play BF2 (or a similar game) if you can't play with your friends?

On top of that BF2 was delayed by EA in order to be released in the second fiscal quarter of 2006 so that they could book the revenues during the slow summer months. So they had even more time to test and balance this game, but yet it still has connection issues. That was what I was talking about in this podcast. I love the game, I just wish it was a bit more stable.
Check out Gaming Steve on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/thegamingsteve

Offline Kagan

• Crazy Climber Cuckoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 10, 2006, 10:07:37 pm »
I know very well how to aim, you inane pieces of gutter trash. I've been playing Unreal Tournament, a game that has a functional aiming system for years and I've yet to place in a low ranking in any match. The problem here is the fact that BF2*is*(or was when I played it) a horrendous game that does not have a functional aiming system. If it did have a functional aiming system, you would be able to go full-auto if you were standing right the hell in front of them with low ping, except you can't. And even if you do switch to burst shots, you still miss due to the ridiculous system. And you know what? Even though it had a pathetic aiming system, I still topped the charts in it every damn time I played an online match. Why? Because I know how to aim and kick ass despite everything else working in unison against me.

Offline LadyM

• Mortal Kombat Konqueror
  • I'm not confused anymore
    • View Profile
    • LadyMpire
« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2006, 06:15:52 am »
Let's keep the discussion civil please, no need for name calling.

Offline Samog

• Ultima III Time Lord
  • objectivists are dumb
    • View Profile
    • -
« Reply #23 on: January 11, 2006, 11:32:46 am »
I've been playing Unreal Tournament, a game that has a functional aiming system for years and I've yet to place in a low ranking in any match.
Step one: Play a mod that has weapons with recoil.
Step two: Open console.
Step three: Type in "fov 360".
Step four: Improve skills.

You are now ready to play Battlefield 2.
"Fine. Don't believe me. I'm not lying. all your laziness which you mistake for something funney is driving me insane, quit fooling around!  dude this is just wrong, very wrong. reality does not consist of constrained language. go lock this thread malt. I love the payment."4MOD

Offline Kagan

• Crazy Climber Cuckoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 11, 2006, 12:55:58 pm »

Step one: Play a mod that has weapons with recoil.
Step two: Open console.
Step three: Type in "fov 360".
Step four: Improve skills.

You are now ready to play Battlefield 2.

Recoil has absolutely nothing to do with the dysfunctional system of BF2. As I said, you can fire in burst shots, yet still miss or even go full-auto *next* to someone.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2006, 01:51:47 pm by Gaming Steve »

Offline eXistenZ

• Brain Games Mastermind
    • View Profile
    • Oddfellow Magazine
« Reply #25 on: January 12, 2006, 11:45:05 am »
I know very well how to aim, you inane pieces of gutter trash. I've been playing Unreal Tournament, a game that has a functional aiming system for years and I've yet to place in a low ranking in any match. The problem here is the fact that BF2*is*(or was when I played it)  a horrendous game that does not have a functional aiming system. If it did have a functional aiming system, you would be able to go full-auto if you were standing right the hell in front of them with low ping, except you can't. And even if you do switch to burst shots, you still miss due to the ridiculous system. And you know what? Even though it had a pathetic aiming system, I still topped the charts in it every damn time I played an online match. Why? Because I know how to aim and kick ass despite everything else working in unison against me.

Look, mate, there is absolutely NOTHING wrong with the aiming system in BF2. Neither I nor my buddies have ever had a problem connecting with our targets. You won't find anything online about a bad aiming system either. The game engine and scripting for the weapons is fantastic. It's a perfect mix of simulation and fun.

And I mentioned before, you may be used to a different style of game (UT) and found BF2 a bit awkward. For the record, recoil has a lot to do with whether you hit your target or not.

I mean you say, "a horrendous game that does not have a functional aiming system." It's not functional? Well, I've been playing FPShooters for over 10 years and I find the system very functional. I've played them all, and I play them well. BF2 has a great weapon system--and I'm picky.

I seriously think you just need more practice with real-world based weapons. Either that, or you or your enemy were lagging. That's all I can think of.

When you think about it Kagan, every game out there has the "WTF! I totally shot him" moments. It happens in every FPShooter. For example, I find Counter Strike to be THE most responsive FPS...and there are plenty of "Pulp Fiction" moments where it seems impossible I didn't drop my enemy. It happens.

It's not the game engine...it's either lag, or the end user.

Offline eXistenZ

• Brain Games Mastermind
    • View Profile
    • Oddfellow Magazine
« Reply #26 on: January 12, 2006, 11:47:12 am »
Steve,

I didn't mean to be offensive or rude. I'm sorry if I came across like that. I hope there are no hard feelings.

Offline DevilMachine

• Q*Bert Qrazy
  • Defender of the Universe
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 12, 2006, 11:51:18 am »
as they say in the WoW forums...

its fine, learn2play

Offline Samog

• Ultima III Time Lord
  • objectivists are dumb
    • View Profile
    • -
« Reply #28 on: January 12, 2006, 11:55:33 am »
Recoil has absolutely nothing to do with the dysfunctional system of BF2. As I said, you can fire in burst shots, yet still miss or even go full-auto *next* to someone.
But unless you specify how you play UT, it can be assumed that you're playing Vanilla, where almost everything shoots exactly where you point it and four weapons hit instantly (and even the minigun is pretty good at medium to long range with enough ammo).
So when you play something more realistic, you're going to have to adjust your style a little.
"Fine. Don't believe me. I'm not lying. all your laziness which you mistake for something funney is driving me insane, quit fooling around!  dude this is just wrong, very wrong. reality does not consist of constrained language. go lock this thread malt. I love the payment."4MOD