Poll

Peter Jackson or George Lucas

Peter Jackson
13 (76.5%)
George Lucas
4 (23.5%)

Total Members Voted: 17

Author Topic: Is Peter Jackson The Next George Lucas  (Read 3423 times)

Offline Kid Dogg

• Mystery House Madman
  • Classical Trained
    • View Profile
Is Peter Jackson The Next George Lucas
« on: January 05, 2006, 02:03:55 pm »
OK so I could be asking for trouble with this one but hey why not.

I can remember when it was but gaming Steve ones said some thing along the lines of that Peter Jackson is the next George Lucas and i wounder what every one else thought.

I think that Peter Jackson is a much better story teller then Lucas. The new star wars films are really bad and have way to much CGI in them. The story telling in Revenge Of The Sith was really bad, it felt to me that Anakin woke up one morning and went over to the dark side.

were as Peter Jackson in the LOTR films got the story telling just right even in the Extended Versions of the films you never feel bored (may be thats just me). King Kong is so well paste that you hardly know that the film is 3 hours.
my only worry is that Peter Jackson will get carried away with CGI just like Lucas.

OK I've said most of what i can think of the rest is up to every one else
« Last Edit: January 05, 2006, 04:04:34 pm by Kid Dogg »

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
Re: Is Peter Jackson The Next George Lucas
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2006, 02:38:43 pm »
Peter Jackson is about 100 times BETTER than Lucas. Jackson should re-make Star Wars Episodes 1,2 and 3 and make them good. Indiana Jones was fantastic though...
Sam is basically right, he's just cranky.

Offline Kid Dogg

• Mystery House Madman
  • Classical Trained
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2006, 02:42:23 pm »
Peter Jackson is about 100 times BETTER than Lucas. Jackson should re-make Star Wars Episodes 1,2 and 3 and make them good. Indiana Jones was fantastic though...

Steven Spielberg Directed the Indiana Jones films and hopefully he'll be doing the 4 one. Peter Jackson dose Star Wars now that I'd like to see  ;D

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2006, 02:53:12 pm »

Steven Spielberg Directed the Indiana Jones films and hopefully he'll be doing the 4 one. Peter Jackson dose Star Wars now that I'd like to see  ;D
oh yeah, Lucasarts paid for it. Smacks head.
Sam is basically right, he's just cranky.

Offline Kid Dogg

• Mystery House Madman
  • Classical Trained
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2006, 02:57:54 pm »

oh yeah, Lucasarts paid for it. Smacks head.

OK i forgot about that d'oh! :P

Offline LadyM

• Mortal Kombat Konqueror
  • I'm not confused anymore
    • View Profile
    • LadyMpire
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2006, 04:04:34 pm »
I would have to agree that I think Peter Jackson is fast becoming the next big director. I guess time will tell in 20 years.

Offline Aybraus

• Mr. Do! Disciple
  • aka VFX Watch aka Toothy aka Chris.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2006, 05:42:15 pm »
No.
No.
Not the next George Lucas.

All of his work is adaption.
Lord of the Rings, King Kong, Halo-All existing worlds that he's contributed to.  He's excellent at what he does but he will not create any real new universes.
I'm toothy22 on Steam. Someone needs to invite me into the GS clan!

Offline Piloteer

• Ensign Seventh Class
  • We're going to hit the mountain!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2006, 09:55:25 pm »
No.
No.
Not the next George Lucas.

Lord of the Rings, King Kong, Halo-All existing worlds that he's contributed to.  He's excellent at what he does but he will not create any real new universes.

I agree. He's very much like Steven Spielberg. He doesn't come up with any original ideas, just films on other peoples ideas. However, the films he does do on other peoples ideas, he does extremely well.

Offline Darkel

• Space Invaders Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2006, 10:52:30 pm »
There's no way in hell I could choose between the two. They both Gods of the movie industry, no matter how you look at it. They both make brilliant movies.

Offline Cruithne

• Sea Battler
    • View Profile
    • Liquorice Bomb
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2006, 04:04:20 am »

Not true.

Both the Frighteners and Heavenly Creatures are originals, not to mention his earlier exploitation flicks.
If I was to compare jackson ot another director it would definately be Spielberg, since, like Spielberg, Jackson has shown he can do fantasy, but also more serious subject matters.

Offline Noflunk

• Mystery House Madman
  • Why is his head soooo big?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2006, 07:45:43 am »
I would have to agree that Jackson is more like Spielberg. They both seem to be passionate on what theyre making, trying to make the best story they can. Lucas doesnt seem to really care about that. The one thing that really impresses me about Jackson is that he doesnt play by hollywood rules, he plays by his own. If he needs the movie to be 3 hours long to tell the story correctly he's going to make it 3 hours long and for that I tip my hat to him.

Also Im glad someone else likes the Frighteners  :P

Offline Kid Dogg

• Mystery House Madman
  • Classical Trained
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2006, 08:54:15 am »
I also agree about Jackson being more like Spielberg. The both of them a very passionate directors. may be thats wrong with Lucas new star wars films there lacking passion. Is it me or has Spielberg's Films been abit grim lately?

by the way just got The Frighteners 3 disk set  ;D