Author Topic: Playing any OLD games lately?  (Read 752 times)

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • GREAT SCOTT!!
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
Playing any OLD games lately?
« on: May 26, 2020, 08:52:24 pm »
Any old games coming back up in the rotation?

I have been working on Pilotwings 64. Unsure if many of you know this one, but it is reasonably popular. You are basically running pilot training tests, just like the SNES counterpart. You have a hanglider, a rocket pack, and a gyrocopter as your main game modes. Unlockables include birdman mode (which lets you fly and explore forever with no fuel requirements), cannon mode (whereby you fire your character across the map into a target), skydive mode (you can figure this out), and hopper boots (which is totally nuts).

Was always a fan of the Pilotwings series and I would like to see a proper release of it for the Switch. This game is very relaxing and also replayable and tense. Right now I am finally back to PILOT class (top class) missions and struggling. But a few days and some work and I think I'll have it.

What you playing that is OLD?

Offline Great Distance

• Crystal Castle Gem Eater
    • View Profile
Re: Playing any OLD games lately?
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2020, 11:20:28 am »
I've been playing Pokemon Crystal on the Virtual Console on the 3DS. Unlike the original Crystal, it includes a Celebi! However you have to stay up past midnight to get it.

I dunno if I should wait until weekend to get it, or risk ruining my productivity at work to get it tonight.

I already stayed up past bedtime once because someone on Reddit was handing out Mews. I waited and waited, but eventually I gave up and went to bed. However he gave me one the next day! In fact two! One normal Mew, and one shiny Mew. So me signing up wasn't all for naught. Staying up and waiting for it kinda was, though.

He says he used the Mew glitch in Pokemon Yellow and the coin case glitch in the English version of Gold/Silver to produce and duplicate these Mews. All using the Virtual Console on the 3DS.

I also had considered getting Pokemon Yellow on the Virtual Console just to get a Mew using the Mew glitch. I thought it would be kinda cool to go through the whole process myself. HOWEVER this glitch Mew cannot be transferred to Pokebank (and thus the new games) unless it has a specific trainer ID. You could get the correct trainer ID with a whole lot of luck when you start a new game, or you could modify it using the coin case glitch. The first method is extremely unlikely and the second one is extremely convoluted.

So I guess I'm happy I don't have to go through all that. Now I have my Mew! And soon Celebi!

After noticing that the Pokebank also has a Pokedex and that you are able to move Pokemon in groups instead of just one by one, I'm finally more optimistic about maybe one day having the full Pokedex. So there's my summer project, I guess.

Offline Great Distance

• Crystal Castle Gem Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2020, 11:23:05 am »
Oh wait, this was in the consoles section.

But I mean they are still old games, right.

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • GREAT SCOTT!!
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2020, 12:50:18 pm »
I went to an event at a shopping mall when I was a kid and got a Mew in Pokemon Red. Sadly that cartridge battery finally died so the save is gone.

Was real proud of that game. I had it all. Keep reaching for that rainbow, GD. You can do it! @_@

Also, speaking of doing it, I was playing Mario 64 yesterday and figured I would try the endless staircase glitch for laughs. I did it on the second try! Usually have a lot more trouble than that. Finished the game with 51 stars, had fun. And then got back to work getting the rest of those stars.

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • GREAT SCOTT!!
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2020, 09:52:10 am »
GET HYYYYYPE!!

I finally have a copy of Beetle Adventure Racing for the N64 once again. This game is awesome. A top notch racing game on an older system with huge levels that take a long time to finish, lots of collectables to find, and secrets to uncover. They don't make them like this anymore.

Offline Slinky

• Mr. Do! Disciple
  • hey there
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2020, 01:16:49 pm »
I'm finally doing my first fully-invested playthrough of Morrowind (couldn't figure out the mechanics when I was younger due to being a Skyrim brainlet). I know I'm preaching to the choir here but man what a good ****in game.

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • GREAT SCOTT!!
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2020, 10:28:24 pm »
You playing vanilla or with any mods?

Also watch out for CHIM he's a dick.

Offline Slinky

• Mr. Do! Disciple
  • hey there
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2020, 11:23:16 pm »
I'm doing hardcore lore-friendly roleplay which means I'm not allowed to install any mods until I achieve CHIM.

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • GREAT SCOTT!!
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2020, 03:44:47 pm »
Am New Game Plus-ing Chrono Trigger again on SNES. I've got so many playthroughs over the last 20 years but still have not managed to get enough EXP to get Ayla's top-tier fist unlock. Maybe this time but probably next time. The Bronze Fist is so good. Crits 9999 every time. But you have to reach level 96 to get it, and the original version of the game does NOT have enough EXP in a single playthrough to even get close to that level. Currently hovering at level 79 for most of the party.

The DS remake (which is excellent by the way, highly recommend it) does offer oodles of EXP though so you can achieve it in a single playthrough without grinding like an absolute madman. Which I will not do because the game is actually fun to keep replaying. And also it's a top five for me. Usually one or two depending on how I feel about Myst at the time.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M7FGm6eqlTY" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M7FGm6eqlTY</a>

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • GREAT SCOTT!!
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2020, 09:04:34 am »
Also been running through Ocarina of Time again on the N64. It's a lot of fun on this system specifically. I loved the DS remakes but they are just a little bit different and not quite as fun. The way you can chain spin attacks in the original is broken in just the right way. Currently pulling my hair out over Bombchu Bowling. She won't offer the heart piece as a prize!! And I won't start the second half of the game until I get all the child-era heart pieces.

« Last Edit: June 12, 2020, 09:46:54 am by PatMan33 »

Offline Yokto

• Street Fighter
  • Do not feed the Giant Gnawling.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2020, 12:14:29 pm »
I though you could kill enemies that re spawned in Chronotrigger. was some time since I last played it however. I need to play it again.
Check out my Creatures.
The Ęthirans
The Echin
The Jinnivons
Star Citizen Ref code: STAR-JLJP-LRTC
When you singing up use code and get 5000 credits for free ;)

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • GREAT SCOTT!!
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2020, 03:53:16 pm »
You can repeatedly kill enemies, however they amounts of exp they drop becomes so low that you might as well re-play the game and hit the bosses. You'll probably spend an equal amount of time in doing so and you also get access to a select few high-value enemies that do not respawn. Specifically, at the floating mountain there are these volcano enemies that never respawn and give out a ton of EXP and AP. Plus it gives you a chance to run the Black Dream a few times to stack up on speed tabs from enemies that do not respawn, and you can collect an assortment of other tabs and really make your stats silly. :D

But yeah, to your point, you can just grind it away in typical JRPG fashion, but I really enjoy the game and it is always a treat to replay it.

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • GREAT SCOTT!!
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2020, 08:02:41 am »
Know what else struck me? The kit! Each playthrough will allow you to get more Prism Helms and Prism Dresses (steal from Queen Zeal for extra effect), but even better is that you can start to accrue multiple haste helms and... I think it is a protect helm? They offer two or three points less overall defense than Prism gear, but in exchange you get permanent buffs like haste and extra spell resistance. Plus you will also live atop a mountain of megaelixirs!!

It's funny, I actually do really like to grind in JRPGs. I'll walk in circles for dozens of hours. Dragon Quest games are especially conducive to this. However something about Chrono Trigger. I'd rather just play the story. Plus the soundtrack is the best!! Maaaybe I'll replay Chrono Cross too.

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • GREAT SCOTT!!
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2020, 12:32:03 pm »
Oh **** oh ****!

Just ran the eye drops to Biggoron and finished with a minute and three seconds to spare. **** YEAH!!

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • GREAT SCOTT!!
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2020, 08:02:20 am »
Started playing HE HAS NO STYLE again. So far it is as silly as I remember.

That was a weird game.

Offline sgore

• Marble Madness Maniac
  • Actually, Jeopardy is my second favorite game show
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2020, 01:03:01 pm »
I finally bought Portal 2 for $2.15, so I might be playing that at some point soon.
Only took me almost a decade to get around to it!
What meme is relevant right now? Look, just imagine I'm riffing on that. Updating signatures is exhausting.

Sam:The Ploofy Master

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • GREAT SCOTT!!
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2020, 06:11:42 pm »
It's good! Hopefully you played and remember the first. :3

Offline Slinky

• Mr. Do! Disciple
  • hey there
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2020, 05:32:17 pm »
Sorry to leave this thread hanging Pat, looks like you've been posting away. I've been playing Sonic Generations at the request of a modern-Sonic-loving friend, and feeling thoroughly unsatisfied with it, so I went back to Sonic 1/2/3/CD/Knuckles and gave them another go. I remember years ago Pat you and I talked about Sonic 2 vs. Sonic 3, and you were saying you liked 3 more... can't remember why exactly but I have been enjoying it. 2 is still the pinnacle so far to me, and CD probably my least favorite of all of them.

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • GREAT SCOTT!!
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #18 on: July 03, 2020, 06:15:40 am »
I agree with you about Sonic CD. Never understood why people go crazy over it. It's still a good Sonic game though.

Sonic 3 & Knuckles is the best Sonic game. You had all the levels and challenges to collect the Chaos Emeralds, then the Hyper Emeralds, and then you have a super finale.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e56LQlcZqn8" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e56LQlcZqn8</a>

Offline Slinky

• Mr. Do! Disciple
  • hey there
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 04, 2020, 03:15:08 am »
I don't despise Sonic CD or anything but the level design feels like one of those indie games that uses procgen very badly and the whole thing feels like a jumbled thoughtless mess. I dunno, I just don't think mazelike momentum puzzles are the "perfect Sonic level design" you hear folks talking about with CD.

I'll start Sonic 3 over with Knuckles locked-on and get back to you. Sounds a little overwhelming with 16 zones and all the emerald stuff going on, but maybe I just need to adjust.

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • GREAT SCOTT!!
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #20 on: July 04, 2020, 11:38:41 am »
It incorporates Sonic 3's save system so it isn't too bad.