Author Topic: PC gaming is kind of not great anymore...  (Read 1491 times)

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • GREAT SCOTT!!
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
PC gaming is kind of not great anymore...
« on: May 24, 2020, 09:59:24 pm »
It is a weird moment in time. Once again I feel like we're watching the pendulum swing back in favor of the consoles and PC gaming is kind of ****.

I play consoles more now and I play my PC less. The games coming out are either ports or derivative and especially not driving any of the technology. Me and Yokto were talking recently about GalCiv III which is a great game, but what the **** is a 4X strategy game doing driving hardware sales? What the ****, mate? And then they are remaking Crysis? Are you kidding me? That's a joke, the original is still gorgeous.

I really feel like PC gaming is on the down-turn. Maybe we get lucky and Cyberpunk saves the day, but that is still one game. And how good is that going to be?

Offline sgore

• Marble Madness Maniac
  • Actually, Jeopardy is my second favorite game show
    • View Profile
Re: PC gaming is kind of not great anymore...
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2020, 01:34:40 am »
I don't know. I don't think PC gaming is in as dire straits as it might seem.

I generally don't follow AAA titles, so I can't really speak to that end of things,
but I also don't really follow indie games either, so I also can't really speak to that end of things.

Honestly I just know that between game jams and steam and various app stores,
there's like a billion games being made and uploaded to the internet every few minutes.

Mathematically, at least 5 of them have to be good.
What meme is relevant right now? Look, just imagine I'm riffing on that. Updating signatures is exhausting.

Sam:The Ploofy Master

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • GREAT SCOTT!!
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2020, 07:27:41 am »
Hah I like that.

I think there has to be a maxim to describe the state of the PC market and I think it related to the city builder genre. As the city builder genre goes, so goes the PC market.

You look at Cities: Skylines. It is a gorgeous game and has all this mod support and people love it. But at a fundamental level the simulation is completely jacked up. And then Paradox gobbled the game up and slapped a launcher onto it to scrape data. And like I said you have all these mods to add a plethora of cool odds and ends but it all amounts to what? A hollow, kind of broken experience that even mods could not save. It's a good description of the state of things.

And then while you're looking at this weird game, you remember you still have a Sim City 4 CD somewhere in your basement. With the Rush Hour expansion. And that game was kind of broken too, but the traffic simulation mods totally patched that up. And then you can install all these other gorgeous mods that don't have that dumb Unity glaze over them that sucks out all the style and looks generic. Then you've sunk hours and hours into this age-old game and realize that you're having way more fun than you ever did with the shiny new whore that just showed up on your block. Although Sim City Whore doesn't do multi-core support so it's a uh... classic experience.

City builders are lame and crippled at the moment, much like their parent market. A sad era for PC games. Don't even get me started on XCOM.

Offline Yokto

• Street Fighter
  • Do not feed the Giant Gnawling.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2020, 08:42:32 am »
Honestly I feel that people have been saying this for at least a decade now. I mean was that not what we where all saying when we joined the forum? When was it ever great I wonder... >_>
Check out my Creatures.
The Ęthirans
The Echin
The Jinnivons
Star Citizen Ref code: STAR-JLJP-LRTC
When you singing up use code and get 5000 credits for free ;)

Offline Great Distance

• Crystal Castle Gem Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2020, 09:02:10 am »
I think maybe it's just that **** games are more easily accessible through Steam these days. The market is oversaturated by crap, so it's harder to see the good stuff.

There used to be a lot of shovelware back in the day, too, but you were less likely to end up owning that ****.

Gotta remember that the history of video gaming isn't very long. So there is hope for the future.

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • GREAT SCOTT!!
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2020, 09:14:38 am »
That is true. I had to do some work to get a physical copy of Big Rigs Over the Road Racing.

Online Rysworld

• Fooblitzky Fooble
  • hhhhhhhh
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2020, 01:38:57 pm »
Need more good console games too. Real solid instant classics like Big Mother Truckers 2 and Sneak King.

Offline Yokto

• Street Fighter
  • Do not feed the Giant Gnawling.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2020, 02:56:44 pm »
Oh someone mentioned 4x games! Age of Wonders: Planetfall came out with a new expansion! looks pretty snazzy! Once I have time I will play though it
Check out my Creatures.
The Ęthirans
The Echin
The Jinnivons
Star Citizen Ref code: STAR-JLJP-LRTC
When you singing up use code and get 5000 credits for free ;)

Offline Brandonazz

• All Your Base Zero Wing
  • Everything ends.
    • View Profile
    • My Internet Treasure Trove
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2020, 02:38:24 am »
Warhammer 2 Total War is kinda neat.

Offline Slinky

• Mr. Do! Disciple
  • hey there
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2020, 01:15:12 pm »
As usual I have ascended to complete gamer zen by being so broke that everything I play is at least ten years old, leaving me blissfully disconnected from developments within the gaming community at large. Can't recommend this strategy enough

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • GREAT SCOTT!!
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2020, 10:27:58 pm »
Agreed.

Been playing N64 and SNES all week. Even when I play a PC game it's like... Civilization IV or SWAT 4. Well and GalCiv.

Offline Slinky

• Mr. Do! Disciple
  • hey there
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2020, 12:50:51 am »
I finally got around to jailbreaking my Wii a couple years back and it was probably one of the best decisions I've ever made. Near perfect emulation of pretty much any 2D-oriented system on a genuine CRT and significantly friendlier towards my bank account. Also Civ IV is the GOAT, excellent taste.

On the topic of PC gaming specifically. I actually did invest in a new graphics card for the first time in my life so I *can* play new games now, but I've been reluctant to plunge into the world of hype, gamer politics, and buying stuff for $60 a pop. So now the "newest" game I've played is The Witcher 3. I don't really understand the hype around it but I'm trying to be patient and give it a couple hours to work its magic.

Did any of yall like it? I know a lot of people treated it like the second coming of Christ and the ideal PC game.

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • GREAT SCOTT!!
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2020, 12:47:25 pm »
The Witcher 3 is a great game but the first game in The Witcher series is the best one. And Witcher 2 is the weakest, but still okay.

I've been playing through 3 again recently and am having a lot of fun. The world and backstories are interesting especially if you played the other games and especially if you've read any of the books. Read the books!! A lot of The Witcher's gameplay in any of the games is a bit obtuse though.

Offline Brandonazz

• All Your Base Zero Wing
  • Everything ends.
    • View Profile
    • My Internet Treasure Trove
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2020, 07:26:31 pm »
The show was mediocre at best, though.

Offline Slinky

• Mr. Do! Disciple
  • hey there
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2020, 02:33:18 am »
Yeah, it didn't really grab me. Then again, I've never really gone for the whole "gritty prestige TV fantasy" thing that's so popular right now. Couldn't be less interested in Game of Thrones etc., not sure why, just feels like the entertainment equivalent of plain oatmeal.