Author Topic: Discord  (Read 564 times)

Offline Gauphastus

• Ice Climber
  • Hey, man.
    • View Profile
    • Gauphastumblr
Discord
« on: May 19, 2017, 01:49:52 pm »
Hey, stranger. Want a good chat and voice service that's really good, free, no ads, and maybe has a bit of an odd layout but is actually easy to get used to?

Get mothafutchin Discord then on PC or phone, and also possibly game console I don't know
https://discordapp.com/

---

I and a few of the guys have been using this for awhile but apparently it's not widely talked about with everyone else. Had to explain how it worked a couple of times.
Once you get used to how it sorta layers everything from the left it's actually really easy to use.
Your friends list is at the top left at all times. Clicking that will show you a list of your buddies. Chatrooms (aka servers) that you belong to appear below that, usually as a picture of some kind set up by the admin; the chatroom is then divided up into text and voice channels and you can have quite a few of each. You can also quite easily just set up another chatroom without having to get rid of the old one.
You can also just not be a member of a chatroom and do group or one on one chat or voice. Whatever you want.

It's set up by invitation only rather than being open to the public, so if I were to make a group for us I'd just post a link here that you could use and bam, you'd be in the room. No need to add each other as friends or whatever if you can't be bothered (though if you wanna have private conversations between yourselves you probs should).

Very flexible, lots of options. I like it a lot. I can't WAIT until Microsoft horns in, buys it, and gimps it. But we're not there yet. It's still totally free and great.

I'm setting up this server to be a kind of condensed version of our forum here. If you're interested just click the link after you've installed and registered on Discord.
You don't have to but it might help if you made a similar username to your Gamingsteve username so you can be recognized.
https://discord.gg/wcxhT6J

"Ma all the gods of furious strong be with you as you crunch opposents, and live like a windrammer as you f**k."
       ~Ricky Wangstrom

Online eropS

• Out Run Speedster
  • That's right, I went there
    • View Profile
Re: Discord
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2017, 02:03:47 pm »
Can you change your nickname?
No, no, he did. In the everything else section, at least. Officially, this makes him king.

Offline Gauphastus

• Ice Climber
  • Hey, man.
    • View Profile
    • Gauphastumblr
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2017, 02:07:33 pm »
https://support.discordapp.com/hc/en-us/articles/219070107-Server-Nicknames

Yup, it looks like you can.
So I guess it's not a huge bother.
"Ma all the gods of furious strong be with you as you crunch opposents, and live like a windrammer as you f**k."
       ~Ricky Wangstrom

Offline Gauphastus

• Ice Climber
  • Hey, man.
    • View Profile
    • Gauphastumblr
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2017, 05:39:58 pm »
Hah, I wasn't aware about the other one some of you had in the podcast section. I never go in there.
Oh well. This one's more overall forum oriented anyway.
       ~Ricky Wangstrom

Offline Tesla

• Street Fighter Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2017, 02:05:54 am »
We... already have a discord. Not the podcast one.

https://discord.gg/2EAjw4

EDIT - I see it was already pointed out by Celdur. Oh well.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2017, 02:12:49 am by Tesla »
No way dude, you're trolling me.

Offline Gauphastus

• Ice Climber
  • Hey, man.
    • View Profile
    • Gauphastumblr
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2017, 03:16:39 am »
Huh, what the hell. First I've heard of it...
Guess because I only go to a select couple of boards on here. I see it was in the fireside chats thread too which I never read.
I figured since there had never been a thread expressly about discord that nobody was using it. shrug

Enjoy it anyways. :u
       ~Ricky Wangstrom

Offline Yokto

• Street Fighter
  • Do not feed the Giant Gnawling.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2017, 06:05:31 am »
Discord is for the moment the chat of the future! Until something better usurps it. I am actually quite surprised how it has manage to take chatters away from IRC and Skype in such a short time.
Check out my Creatures.
The Ęthirans
The Echin
The Jinnivons
Star Citizen Ref code: STAR-JLJP-LRTC
When you singing up use code and get 5000 credits for free ;)

Offline Oviraptor

• R-Type Force Pod
  • tastes just like chicken
    • View Profile
    • Oviraptor's World
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2017, 06:06:55 am »
The problem I saw was that everyone basically always said "you guys can come join my discord I guess." instead of "I'm going to make this the official unoffical Gaming Steve discord." Which is why I never joined any of the others.

Offline Slinky

• Mr. Do! Disciple
  • hey there
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2017, 07:47:31 am »
Yeah maybe this one can be super official, it has channels for boards and everything.

Offline Gauphastus

• Ice Climber
  • Hey, man.
    • View Profile
    • Gauphastumblr
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2017, 11:02:51 am »
It is still pretty condensed. If you have any suggestions for text or voice rooms let me know, like if anyone really thinks art and images should be separate or if we need a board for macrame or some ****. For now though we're a small group so anything can sorta go anywhere without causing disruptions so whatever.
In another server I'm in we have a voice channel for shows, like if you and some other people are streaming something together and chatting. Frees up the general for people who aren't in on it.
       ~Ricky Wangstrom

Online Rysworld

• Autoduel Mechanic
  • hhhhhhhh
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2017, 11:29:13 am »
In my server I have general, news, sharing, patrician (for particularly high-quality images, videos, music, w/e), art, gifs, a text-to-speech specific channel, and a couple of personal channels that belong to various friends of mine.

I'd probably suggest separating art and images, and maybe adding a text-to-speech channel. Being able to refer back easily to previous art is nice, and the text-to-speech channel has a lot of utility for those who can't use mics.

Offline GroxGlitch

• Gyruss Gyrusian
  • Somehow, I've even less of a clue what's going on.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2017, 07:11:41 pm »
Aw sweet! Count me in. I've got Discord open 24/7.