Author Topic: The Nintendo Thread  (Read 928 times)

Offline eropS

• Out Run Speedster
  • That's right, I went there
    • View Profile
The Nintendo Thread
« on: May 17, 2017, 10:53:51 pm »
The Switch is looking to be a home run, the handheld seems to be winding down, and the sky's the limit for Pokemon hopefully.

Anyway. They released more info on Splatoon 2, seems like it'll be a solid franchise from Nintendo so that's neat

Still hoping for Pokemon

No, no, he did. In the everything else section, at least. Officially, this makes him king.

Offline Slinky

• Mr. Do! Disciple
  • hey there
    • View Profile
Re: The Nintendo Thread
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2017, 10:55:16 pm »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VIElAe6LflY" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VIElAe6LflY</a>

this is also shaping up to look like an interesting IP

Offline GroxGlitch

• Gyruss Gyrusian
  • Somehow, I've even less of a clue what's going on.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2017, 05:41:13 pm »
I've got a lot of interest in the Switch but I've been really hesitant after the rocky launch, what with messed up screens and the docks scratching up the screen, and so on. Plus the current roster of games doesn't interest me much (aside Breath of the Wild but I've got that on my Wii U already).

For the price, my girlfriend and I decided on a pair of those new 2DS XLs; price ends up being the same but a lot more games are available and at lower cost as well. Plus we both get a console, which is a major win for us.

I still want a Switch but I'm thinking of waiting until next year to pick one up, that way the content selection will be greater and any hardware kinks will (hopefully) be worked out. I dunno, maybe I'm buying into hyperbole around the consoles issues or something.

Offline emmet

• Street Fighter Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2017, 12:28:22 pm »
messed up screens and the docks scratching up the screen,

eh. that kind of stuff happens on every new product launch and in the end it turns out it happened to like, a very small vocal minority of buyers. (cf the iphone 6 bendgate or the samsung galaxy notes overheating)

i know it's anecdotal, but neither i nor the 3 other people i know with switches have had any such problems.

that didnt stop gamestop from trying to sell me screen protectors to stop the 'inevitable' scratching, though.
No way dude, you're trolling me.

Offline Inkling

• S.T.U.N. Runner
  • Not a Squid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2017, 12:53:19 pm »
Hell, I'd believe gamestop planting the story just to sell screen protectors.
Probably not a Goat, either.

Offline GroxGlitch

• Gyruss Gyrusian
  • Somehow, I've even less of a clue what's going on.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2017, 01:22:59 pm »
eh. that kind of stuff happens on every new product launch and in the end it turns out it happened to like, a very small vocal minority of buyers. (cf the iphone 6 bendgate or the samsung galaxy notes overheating)

i know it's anecdotal, but neither i nor the 3 other people i know with switches have had any such problems.

Totally fair, and that was kind of my assumption; nonetheless, kinda wanted to wait a bit just in case. Can't really hurt either way, not like the console is going to get worse over time or something. Hearing that more people haven't had many issues at all is good, of all the people I know (except you guys of course), only one has a Switch and one guy doesn't make for a great sample size.

Hell, I'd believe gamestop planting the story just to sell screen protectors.

Don't go giving them any bright ideas, they really don't need the help.

Offline Inkling

• S.T.U.N. Runner
  • Not a Squid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2017, 06:06:03 pm »
As far as screen protectors go, I swear by them for smart phones.  No idea if it would be a good idea for the Switch.

Offline Inkling

• S.T.U.N. Runner
  • Not a Squid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2017, 08:38:51 pm »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wGQHQc_3ycE" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wGQHQc_3ycE</a>

Mario possessing enemies with his hat reminds me of the core mechanic from one of my favorite N64 games, Space Station Silicon Valley.  Looks awesome.

Offline eropS

• Out Run Speedster
  • That's right, I went there
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2017, 09:43:13 pm »
saw an extended gameplay vid on the bombcast thing,

seemed.... confusing... like i have no idea what is going on or what you're supposed to be doing. It looks like it has chunks of areas that play very much like 3d land though, but with the hat ability basically adding an extra layer of mechanics to get through challenger which is neat
No, no, he did. In the everything else section, at least. Officially, this makes him king.

Offline Inkling

• S.T.U.N. Runner
  • Not a Squid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2017, 05:44:25 pm »
A friend finally bought a Switch, got to try it out Sunday night ...after dinner at the table at a Mexican restaurant.  I didn't want to do it but I got talked into it.  I've successfully reverted to my middle school self, playing videogames at the table in public.  The server did a double take and thought it was really cool, though.