Author Topic: The off-topic Topic  (Read 5069 times)

Offline Tesla

• Street Fighter Champion
    • View Profile
Re: The off-topic Topic
« Reply #195 on: October 18, 2017, 02:15:07 am »
Hey Irish people, you okay after Ophelia?

Here in Dublin it was pretty disappointing. Huge fuss in the city, people here didn't know what to expect at all. Went into work and everyone was complaining that everyone else they knew had had their work cancelled. Eventually the boss came in to a sea of displeased faces and made the call. All public transport got suspended for the day a couple hours later so it was a good thing - I would've been stuck.

But then it came and it sucked/blew (I was hoping for something a little more dramatic), it was real windy but not dangerously so. We did lose our doormat though. RIP. We also lost power from 9pm to midnight.

My dad was down south in rural Cork and it was way worse there, it blew the roof off a school. The country had three deaths, all from falling trees.

Yesterday the weather was back to being perfectly normal, except the trees are noticeably more bare than before.

And we have "Storm Brian" coming over the weekend, too! Thanks, climate change!
No way dude, you're trolling me.

Offline Haseri

• Lode Runner
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: October 18, 2017, 03:29:14 am »
Meanwhile we had a freaky morning on Monday, where the Sun was a perfect red disk and it generally resembled an episode of Daredevil.

Offline Brandonazz

• Baseball SuperStar
  • Hoc etiam transibit
    • View Profile
    • My Internet Treasure Trove
« Reply #197 on: October 18, 2017, 06:35:18 am »
You get a temperate climate from the gulf stream, or you get to be storm-free. This is the price you pay!

Offline Great Distance

• Gyruss Gyrusian
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: October 18, 2017, 12:15:37 pm »
Finland gets temperate climate from the gulf stream and no major storms. Win-win!

Offline Great Distance

• Gyruss Gyrusian
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: October 18, 2017, 12:33:31 pm »
Hey Irish people, you okay after Ophelia?

Here in Dublin it was pretty disappointing. Huge fuss in the city, people here didn't know what to expect at all. Went into work and everyone was complaining that everyone else they knew had had their work cancelled. Eventually the boss came in to a sea of displeased faces and made the call. All public transport got suspended for the day a couple hours later so it was a good thing - I would've been stuck.

But then it came and it sucked/blew (I was hoping for something a little more dramatic), it was real windy but not dangerously so. We did lose our doormat though. RIP. We also lost power from 9pm to midnight.

My dad was down south in rural Cork and it was way worse there, it blew the roof off a school. The country had three deaths, all from falling trees.

Yesterday the weather was back to being perfectly normal, except the trees are noticeably more bare than before.

And we have "Storm Brian" coming over the weekend, too! Thanks, climate change!

Disappointing?

Hear hear, more death and destruction! Thank god for storm Brian, may it mow down the rest of Ireland.

Offline Yokto

• Street Fighter
  • Do not feed the Giant Gnawling.
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: October 18, 2017, 03:04:48 pm »
Remeber. If you get tornados, light fire to woodland areas or any lager flammable area for that matter! You will get awesome firenados of death! That will help clear out Irland.
Check out my Creatures.
The Ęthirans
The Echin
The Jinnivons
Star Citizen Ref code: STAR-JLJP-LRTC
When you singing up use code and get 5000 credits for free ;)

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: October 19, 2017, 12:24:36 am »
St Patrick shouldn't have stopped at the snakes.
Sam is basically right, he's just cranky.

Online sgore

• SunDog Pilot
  • Actually, Jeopardy is my second favorite game show
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: November 05, 2017, 10:28:34 pm »
Oh hey it is November!
You know what that means?

Because I don't. I don't know what anything means anymore. I took a quiz to tell me what kind of quiz I was and it told me I was a dumb quiz. The world is and has always been confusing.

Also please don't let this community die.

I know it's slightly more work than some places, but it's the only place online I don't feel like my participation is being soul-crushingly gamified by a points/likes system, or picked apart for a corporate branding agenda, or the political machinations of Russian internet trolls or someone else.

A lot of the huge other social sites leave me with this weird sick unsatisfied empty feeling, like everyone's competing and trying to destroy each other and there's no warmth.

We have had our ups, downs, problems, and undeniable drama here. It's not as fast paced as some other places. But I genuinely feel better after spending time here than I do sooo many places online. I don't know.

A crowd-sourced, algorithm based editorial voice isn't necessarily bad, but it gets reaaaal tiresome and repetitive.
I want this place, flaws and all.
What meme is relevant right now? Look, just imagine I'm riffing on that. Updating signatures is exhausting.

Sam:The Ploofy Master

Offline Haseri

• Lode Runner
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: November 06, 2017, 02:07:19 am »
Discord is fairly active. It's not the same, but communities evolve. I'm enjoying the immediacy of the conversation there.

Offline Yokto

• Street Fighter
  • Do not feed the Giant Gnawling.
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: November 06, 2017, 10:10:10 am »
This place won't die. Just post interesting stuff. Totally beat that stupid newfangled facebook thingy at least!
Check out my Creatures.
The Ęthirans
The Echin
The Jinnivons
Star Citizen Ref code: STAR-JLJP-LRTC
When you singing up use code and get 5000 credits for free ;)

Offline Great Distance

• Gyruss Gyrusian
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: November 06, 2017, 11:37:32 am »
Oh hey it is November!
You know what that means?

Because I don't. I don't know what anything means anymore. I took a quiz to tell me what kind of quiz I was and it told me I was a dumb quiz. The world is and has always been confusing.

Also please don't let this community die.

I know it's slightly more work than some places, but it's the only place online I don't feel like my participation is being soul-crushingly gamified by a points/likes system, or picked apart for a corporate branding agenda, or the political machinations of Russian internet trolls or someone else.

A lot of the huge other social sites leave me with this weird sick unsatisfied empty feeling, like everyone's competing and trying to destroy each other and there's no warmth.

We have had our ups, downs, problems, and undeniable drama here. It's not as fast paced as some other places. But I genuinely feel better after spending time here than I do sooo many places online. I don't know.

A crowd-sourced, algorithm based editorial voice isn't necessarily bad, but it gets reaaaal tiresome and repetitive.
I want this place, flaws and all.

I agree wholeheartedly. Posting on Reddit just kills my soul. This place warms my heart.

Offline Brandonazz

• Baseball SuperStar
  • Hoc etiam transibit
    • View Profile
    • My Internet Treasure Trove
« Reply #206 on: November 11, 2017, 09:46:56 am »
That's why lately I've been subscribing to subbreddits of animals being adorable. It helps.

Offline Great Distance

• Gyruss Gyrusian
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: November 11, 2017, 11:28:37 am »
Me too!

Online sgore

• SunDog Pilot
  • Actually, Jeopardy is my second favorite game show
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: Yesterday at 10:06:07 pm »
Hey. Hey, do you think your cupholders are good enough?
You're wrong.

Cherish our banner ads. They are the path to truth.
What meme is relevant right now? Look, just imagine I'm riffing on that. Updating signatures is exhausting.

Sam:The Ploofy Master

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: Today at 07:01:28 am »
Yeah I heard that Cuphold game is real good.
Sam is basically right, he's just cranky.