Author Topic: It is the fool day. 2017. April is here. What is happening?  (Read 2066 times)

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
Re: It is the fool day. 2017. April is here. What is happening?
« Reply #45 on: April 04, 2017, 03:26:43 pm »
We're carrying this thing all the way through to April 1st 2018.
Sam is basically right, he's just cranky.

Offline Inkling

• S.T.U.N. Runner
  • Not a Squid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 04, 2017, 04:49:12 pm »
I'm down.
Probably not a Goat, either.

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #47 on: April 04, 2017, 11:00:32 pm »
I think the world would be a better place if you you held yourself to your own standards at all times. (Or at least weren't so quick to justify not doing so.)

And in response to the second comment, it wasn't malicious. You perceive it as such. Maybe other people perceive what you do differently from how you intended it, too?

I agree that I'm part of the problem and I keep trying to make it better. And believe me, I'm used to nobody ever understanding anything I say, ever. But here, with you guys? It's definitely different because we know each other. I don't even know how or why this conversation got as long-winded as it did. I like to jerk around with goofy public internet projects and ****post on 4chan, jesus christ you faggots need to calm the hell down about it, I've seen plenty of you there too laughing along with the fun. :|

But in terms of "trying harder" and all that, you guys just aren't getting it. I'm not doing this by myself. I refuse. It isn't something I can change by myself. You guys are also jerks and you never offer to change, you never say you're sorry, and god damn you're always right, aren't you? Every time I say something, it turns into a symposium on Pat. How is he wrong today? How many of us can pile on to tell this guy he's wrong and he sucks. Did you ever consider it's just a thought exercise or I'm trying to look at things in a different way? That you don't need to make it personal or call me names? I make positive posts and try to encourage nice discussion about other topics and it's crickets in the night. Nobody ever responds to that stuff. But there's a truckload of people waiting in the wings to pile on how wrong I was about this or how stupid my thought of the day is.

Did you ever consider that part of my annoyance with a lot of you guys is that I can't get the time of day from you half the time unless I'm spouting off about some dumb political topic or whatever. I'd much rather talk about Zelda or computers or the space station, but that stuff gets passed over on the regular. I have to bother you guys on Steam to talk about other topics and even then I get no response back a lot of the time.

How about you guys take the step with me, because I've been trying to say this without actually saying it for two or three weeks now. We all need to try to be better, because you guys are pretty messed up yourselves, though many of you will never admit it because god forbid you show any weakness, humanity, or a propensity to be incorrect about something.

I'm not doing anything different until you jerks also try to do better. The whole reason our world is as messed up as it is, is because too many people don't see themselves as part of the problem. And you guys and you Tesla are part of the problem here, it's not just me. You have to do this with me because it's going to take all of us to fix it, not just me. You can't just scapegoat Pat like you did with ChiToes and twiddle your thumbs and hope it gets better, because you're the problem, too.

Offline Great Distance

• Gyruss Gyrusian
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 04, 2017, 11:26:13 pm »
I don't understand what is the huge deal and what people are referring to. Internet shenanigans are not the most serious business.

Problem? What problem? What is this?

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 05, 2017, 12:36:48 am »
*snip*

Nope, sorry. You don't get to admit to trolling strangers on purpose and then take the moral high ground.

You can't ask for our opinions and then get mad because we disagree with you. Every time you're genuinely wrong about something you try to turn it around and act like suddenly everyone needs to fix the world with you, but as soon as Pat wants to call someone a faggot when they've asked him nicely not to, well, Pat HAS to call someone a faggot and that's his right. Get over yourself dude. Yeah, we're all wrong sometimes, you just have an obnoxious way of dealing with it.

Sam is basically right, he's just cranky.

Offline Great Distance

• Gyruss Gyrusian
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 05, 2017, 01:27:01 am »
All I'm wondering is what is our supposed problem. Is it blaming a single person while not seeing the problem is us? Then, what is our problem? Is it blaming...

There is no us. We are all different people with separate opinions. We are not a hive.

If you could be more specific, then the people who are at fault could maybe improve. There is no us. Some people agree, some people disagree. We are not all ganging up on you or ChiToes. What I see is one person causing a scene, a couple of people contributing to it. And the majority us probably have no opinion about it.

So. Keep it between you and whoever you have a problem with. Personally I do not give a single **** about who is trolling and who isn't. And I didn't want chitoes to leave. But it's just not my problem.

I've got many problems, but forum drama ain't one.

Offline Tesla

• Street Fighter Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 05, 2017, 01:43:29 am »
hey GD just to be clear I wasn't addressing you with any of this. :)
No way dude, you're trolling me.

Offline /lurk

• Dragon Warrior Slime
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 05, 2017, 03:12:28 am »
Internet shenanigans are not the most serious business.

You're joking, right?
Not a winner anymore.

Offline Great Distance

• Gyruss Gyrusian
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 05, 2017, 04:15:26 am »
Hahahahahaha.

Offline Slinky

• Mr. Do! Disciple
  • hey there
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 05, 2017, 06:34:12 am »
Hey Pat if I've ganged up on you or called you anything I'm sorry. I wasn't really trying to direct anything negative at you as a person, just express that I don't understand the point of trolling and mostly dislike it. I'm definitely wrong sometimes, and I still feel pretty strongly that trolling is sorta dumb but I do understand where you're coming from about not getting much attention about non-controversial topics and I'd talk about things like Zelda and computers with you if I knew anything about them but I don't, really :( most of the things I really like you don't! Like Metal Gear or something. And that's okay.

I don't think you're a complete piece of **** or anything like that. I also don't think Sam or Tesla or whoever are wrong, or pieces of **** either, I don't really know enough about you guys or the world to say anything about if you're trying to change it but the least I can do is say that when I disagree with you about something I'm not trying to personally attack you - and I don't think anyone else means to either.

And if you want me, personally, to take any kinds of steps to be better so that you also feel encouraged to be better, let me know what I need to do and I'll do my best.

Offline Tesla

• Street Fighter Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 05, 2017, 06:48:11 am »
right. I'm not trying to say you're wrong or suck. Really all I want is a little less being called a faggot (and also a bully (and also I'm the one calling you names?)).

and seriously, I'm here to talk about other stuff. I really don't know what you mean by this. If I don't say something on a topic it's because I don't have anything to say, it's not an affront on you.

and I have no problem with you raising points, being a devil's advocate, whatever. again it's the fact that you sometimes seem to do it just to get a rise out of people? maybe i'm wrong. again it could simply the difference between intended and perceived tone. i realize this goes both ways and i'm worry if my comments can come off as snide.

this applies to every conversation with you and everyone else - i'm sorry if these conversations tend to escalate but i'm just trying to express my thoughts without my head getting ripped off.

anyway, this whole thing was a troll. all of it, from the very beginning of my membership here. you've been trolled.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2017, 06:51:31 am by Tesla »
No way dude, you're trolling me.

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #56 on: April 05, 2017, 07:43:33 am »
this applies to every conversation with you and everyone else - i'm sorry if these conversations tend to escalate but i'm just trying to express my thoughts without my head getting ripped off.

I feel exactly the same way. Most of the time I am really making innocuous comments or asking a question. And I am not the type to back down when I feel like someone is coming at me, which is why I'll respond 150% to that stuff.

I think all of us (here and in the western world) need to re-learn how to talk to people, how to have normal discussions, and how to be wrong and how to be right. I think that here, us on this forum, we've got a chance to actually do that. We're in control here, it's our space. Maybe we won't change the world, but we can change ourselves to be better equipped to deal with a world that just doesn't give a crap about trying to better.

We can do better and for the sake of this community, we should want to do better. But we've gotta re-condition ourselves to handle these conversations. Our governments and corporations and overseeing power structures have intentionally muddied the waters, conflated issues, and turned up the rhetoric such that over the last ten years, we've subtly all forgotten how to be people. This is a cultural problem afflicting most of our societies in one way or another. And it probably isn't going to get fixed and we're going down this path now and the future is kind of bleak. And to me, that's an existential crisis and I haven't been able to deal with it for years now.

But I could be content if our community was able to reel it back in and we could somehow be better than we have been. Because you're right, I am trying to act like I'm above it all because that is what I aspire to. I want to be above it because I know it is possible, but it's not the kind of thing one person can do. A community needs to mobilize around this idea for it to work, otherwise you just have disparate actors throwing all of their energy into an angry void, making themselves less-willing to be helpful and tiring them out.

Solutions?

Make a new forum section for politics and get that crap out of Everything Else. Put it in its own space so it can be managed like the hydra that it is. You suspend people from posting in that forum if they go over the line to be able to lay down some sort of punishment that is effective, and we go on with our lives. Of course we still have the same level of free conversation, but it'll be easier to turn it off and separate it from more constructive or fun topics. It's hard to post something irreverent in the Off Topic Topic when you've got a weeks old argument clearly visible at the top of the same forum thread and it was made personal longer ago than you can recall.

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #57 on: April 05, 2017, 07:52:33 am »
Also, the reason I suggest splitting it off is because most of the long-lasting forums I've been to and seen have politics segregated to its own spot.

Offline Great Distance

• Gyruss Gyrusian
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 05, 2017, 08:18:49 am »
Aww gee that sounds awfully mighty.

Dude, we're just an internet forum that's about gaming. I, for one, am not here to better the world or make a better society. I'm here to just waste time and post whatever **** comes to mind.

So yeah. Sorry, but I am not with your mission. I mean I try make the world a better place in my own ways. I try to be fair and understand people even when they're being incoherent dip****s.

But you know

THIS IS A FORUM IT'S NOT SERIOUS BUSINESS

GOD'S SAKES

Offline Slinky

• Mr. Do! Disciple
  • hey there
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 05, 2017, 08:21:23 am »
okay but is this forum really even about gaming anymore tho

like less than half of us actively play or care about videogames