Author Topic: Podcasts Emporium & Smoke Shop  (Read 1083 times)

Offline Brandonazz

• Baseball SuperStar
  • Hoc etiam transibit
    • View Profile
    • My Internet Treasure Trove
Podcasts Emporium & Smoke Shop
« on: March 19, 2017, 06:02:40 am »
I felt like this may have been slightly more appropriate in the gamingsteve podcast forum, but would actually like to get some content aggregation going in a place where people might see it more frequently than when they misclick the board they're attempting to reach.

I walk often, and can't live without them.

My listening software of choice is Stitcher, which is both a smartphone app and website (phone <--> pc preferences sync)

Here are some of my very favorites:

• 99% Invisible - (Design, ubiquitous yet unseen mechanisms [psychological, economical, etc], architecture, sexiest NPR voice [Roman Mars<3])
    Radiolab - (Basically a gold mine for esoteric knowledge and personal stories with phenomenal sound production)
    Wait Wait... Don't Tell Me! - (Weekly lighthearted news quiz paneled by some excellent comedians)
    Planet Money - (Somewhat in-depth, somewhat casual examination of some aspect of economics, finance, etc.)
    The Allusionist - (15 minute factsnax about etymology and language (in general) delivered by a soothing female british voice)
    The Adventure Zone - (Each ep. is a chapter in an arc of DnD [with some artistic liberty] done by 3 brothers and their father who all sound slightly tipsy)

What do you guys listen to?
« Last Edit: March 19, 2017, 07:58:52 am by Brandonazz »

Offline Celdur

• R-Type Force Pod
  • :33
    • View Profile
Re: Podcasts Emporium & Smoke Shop
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2017, 09:40:35 am »
I've actually listened to a bit of adventure zone, its very silly.

Lately I've been listening to a bunch of Joe Rogan, depends on the guest though.
It's mostly current events, interesting people, comedy. I skip the fighting stuff because it doesn't interest me.

If you haven't yet, you should listen to Sleepycast. They quit doing them, but it's good ****.
They just talk about dumb **** really, pretty timeless.

I also listen to Criminal when they have an episode out. Some episodes are better than others.
Its mostly about weird criminal happenings, but also sometimes about just weird law stuff.

Something similar I listened to is Serial. Season 3 will be out soon.
Season 1 is about a fishy murder case from the 90s, like a real life murder mystery. Season 2 is about a soldier doing something dumb.

A while ago I also listened to the history of rome. You can guess what that's about.

There's some other stuff but its not as significant, maybe I'll list them later

Quote from: Krakow sam
That quote is actualy very witty, Celdur. I suggest you use that in your signature.

Offline Brandonazz

• Baseball SuperStar
  • Hoc etiam transibit
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2017, 09:52:10 am »
I couldn't get into Serial 1. Was 2 good?

Offline Celdur

• R-Type Force Pod
  • :33
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2017, 10:00:36 am »
Depends on why you couldn't get into 1.
If it was because you didn't care about some random murder case, give season 2 a shot.
If it's because of their production style or way of telling stuff, maybe give it a pass.

Quote from: Krakow sam
That quote is actualy very witty, Celdur. I suggest you use that in your signature.

Offline Brandonazz

• Baseball SuperStar
  • Hoc etiam transibit
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2017, 10:02:33 am »
It was because I didn't care about some random murder case, so I shall.

Offline Gungnir

• SunDog Pilot
  • Bbrrrraaaaaiiiiinnnnssss
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2017, 10:19:02 am »
Oo! Planet Money is great. Big fan of that one. I listen to podcasts mostly via the NPR One app/website, so my podcast listening is mostly a lot of NPR stuff. Code Switch is also interesting, and is kind of a perspective on things that I usually haven't considered. Freakonomics Radio is also pretty neat.

I enjoyed Serial's 1st season, but I didn't get into the case as much as a lot of other people seem to have.

I've also been listening to some RPG podcasts, namely Dungeon Master's Block and the official podcast from WotC, Dragon Talk.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2017, 01:18:13 pm by Gungnir »

Offline Tesla

• Street Fighter Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2017, 10:37:03 am »
I also listen to 99% Invisible, and Criminal. The first season of Serial I liked, the second I found much too boring. I also enjoy This American Life and Invisibilia (sort of like TAL or 99% Invisible but for psychology related stories). Freakonomics is also great!

I listen to Cool Games Inc which is by one of the brothers from the Adventure Zone podcast. It's a comedy show where they come up with ridiculous ideas for video games. There's also some infrequent sincere games discussion.

For game news I listen to the Jimquisition, Jim Sterling's podcast. I've listened to his shows for years but this most recent iteration is pretty poor in terms of hosts: they have bad chemistry. Jim himself is always good for news (and cuckoldry), though.

Comedy Bang Bang is one of the most popular comedy podcasts and I love it with all my heart.

Hello Internet is the podcast by CGP Grey and Brady Haran (who runs a lot of YouTube channels including numberphile), it's a pretty informal podcast but they have very interesting discussions and their personalities complement each other well.

The Cracked podcast I can recommend even if you dislike the site. The episodes are kind of a mixed bag but they often have very interesting topics/guests.

My Favourite Murder is a podcast hosted by two very funny women who each bring some true crime murder story to talk about every week - they don't take it too seriously though, which I like.

Flash Forward is a podcast where each episode focuses on some hypothetical future scenario, most recently Californian succession, but they've also done episodes on robotic teachers, abolition of all animal products, direct democracy, and some weird things like Earth suddenly starting to plummet towards the sun.
No way dude, you're trolling me.

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2017, 11:00:05 am »
Comedy Bang Bang is one of the most popular comedy podcasts and I love it with all my heart.

Aukerman has thwarted my archive binging with his subscription service.
Sam is basically right, he's just cranky.

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2017, 12:08:25 pm »
I can also vouch for Planet Money, Joe Rogan, CCP Grey, Radiolab, and I've been making sure to wake up early on Saturday to catch Wait Wait Don't Tell Me on the radio since I was a little kid going to buy doughnuts with my Dad, so that one is also solid.

I've got a fair smattering of political podcasts I enjoy to listen to, but I dunno if you guys necessarily want that due to burnout or you're looking for other stuff.

Offline Brandonazz

• Baseball SuperStar
  • Hoc etiam transibit
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2017, 01:15:43 pm »
I personally avoid them because podcasts are a way for me to relax. I don't need to go for a walk and come back fuming.  :P

Offline Slinky

• Mr. Do! Disciple
  • hey there
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2017, 07:11:39 pm »
I'm really into My Brother, My Brother, and Me, which is the brothers from Adventure Zone giving bad advice. It's pretty well known I think? The Greatest Generation is a podcast about Star Trek TNG that's also pretty good and sort of affectionately makes fun of it.

Offline Inkling

• S.T.U.N. Runner
  • Not a Squid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2017, 09:17:20 pm »
Yeah cool whatever.  Where are the smokes, man?

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ulo6EC3It-E" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ulo6EC3It-E</a>
Probably not a Goat, either.

Offline Slinky

• Mr. Do! Disciple
  • hey there
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2017, 09:26:04 pm »
I used to know a guy who actually sounded a lot like that. Wake and bake every day, would walk around the office (actually where I went to school at the time but it was an open plan office) in circles, and then like every 4th lap pop into the break room to get a glass of water and then drink it and do more laps. Guy was completely fried out but was a savant about history. Weird dude.

Offline Rysworld

• Autoduel Mechanic
  • hhhhhhhh
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2017, 09:42:18 pm »
düd

Offline Inkling

• S.T.U.N. Runner
  • Not a Squid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2017, 10:57:54 pm »
But yeah, I don't really think of it as a podcast but Wait Wait Don't Tell me is fantastic.
Probably not a Goat, either.