Author Topic: Good Space Colonization games  (Read 43926 times)

Offline Bkeela

• Boot Hill Bandit
    • View Profile
Re: Good Space Colonization games
« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2006, 03:20:15 am »
Master of Orion II is the best I've played.  I tried Galactic Civilizations 2, but it just didn't appeal to me.

Alpha Centauri is superb, but since it is set on the one planet, it isn't quite the same as colonising a galaxy.

I'm still waiting for decent space strategy game to be released.  Spore will be more like a galactic playground than Civ in space.

Offline owen99

• Space Invaders Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2006, 08:08:44 am »
i bought galactic civ after hearing it in these forums and it was the best 15 game i've had, the ship editor and the ai are really good.

Offline Djfinny

• Asteroids Aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2006, 05:48:40 am »
As quite a few of you have mentioned Alpha Centuri being a great game - in all fairness, maybe I just didn't give it enough time to grow on me.  I may need to dig it up and try it again. 

Offline Oviraptor

• R-Type Force Pod
  • tastes just like chicken
    • View Profile
    • Oviraptor's World
« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2017, 02:20:25 pm »
Reviving a thread that hasn't been posted to in nearly ten and a half years? Sure, why not!

Anyway, it's been 10+ years, surely some things have been made in the interim? What I really want is a space colonization game that has you colonize a solar system without FTL travel, but I do not believe such a game exists. All I can find are galactic-scale colonization games or games in which you colonize exactly one planet.

So, yeah. Probably out of luck, but I thought I might ask here, and see what others' thoughts were on the subject.

Offline eropS

• Out Run Speedster
  • That's right, I went there
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2017, 02:56:29 pm »
Mmmmmmm.....

Halcyon 6? More of an RPG xcom but is less than ftl resource management focused
No, no, he did. In the everything else section, at least. Officially, this makes him king.

Offline Tesla

• Street Fighter Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 19, 2017, 03:28:23 pm »
I want to see a game that's like a modern remake of SimEarth where you can terraform and colonise various astronomical bodies in your solar system, with accurate simulations of things like gravity, atmospheres, and tectonic activity. no fighting stuff, more like SimCity than Civilization.

If no one else does it, I'd like to do it myself some day.

No way dude, you're trolling me.

Online Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 19, 2017, 03:31:18 pm »
Reviving a thread that hasn't been posted to in nearly ten and a half years? Sure, why not!

Anyway, it's been 10+ years, surely some things have been made in the interim? What I really want is a space colonization game that has you colonize a solar system without FTL travel, but I do not believe such a game exists. All I can find are galactic-scale colonization games or games in which you colonize exactly one planet.

So, yeah. Probably out of luck, but I thought I might ask here, and see what others' thoughts were on the subject.

The time is right for this game. A couple of weeks back I was tossing some ideas back and forth with a friend about a hard scifi no-FTL travel 4X game. I may as well write down a digest of the conversation so I have a written record (original ideas donut steel)

- The player and all rival factions would start out on Earth, with a possibility that the different factions would represent various Terran powers and all have various bonuses and areas of expertise. Obvious contenders would be the USA, Russia, China but also (mega)corporations and ambitious billionaires like Elon Musk.

- Early game you would be restricted to exploiting the Solar system, scouting for good resources and jockeying for control over off-planet colonies and habitats. At this point you'd also be sending scout probes out to the star systems nearest to Sol and trying to get an edge on tech to try and be the first to get some extra-solar infrastructure established.

- Since there'd be no ftl communications at all at the start of the game your acitivities outside the sol system would be totally indirect. You'd dispatch missions to other star systems and wait for the years to tick by, in the dark about the success or failure of your endeavors. Eventually you'd receive signals sent by your extrasolar probes letting you know what's out there

- Even in the Sol system you'd have problems caused by the sheer scale and without heavy-handed military supervision or good communication and organisation tech your off-earth colonies are likely to start developing big ideas and may split off to form their own factions.

- Moving into the mid and late game you'd start developing more sci-fi tech which would have various ramifications on how the game plays out. These would include ansibles (entanglement based instant-coms devices) that would let you have direct control over your units in other solar systems, various degrees of terraforming, bio-engineering to enhance your pops and allow them to survive in hostile environments, various kinds of AI, mindstate upload and transmission to let you send your talented leaders remotely to the extrasolar colonies without needing to put their meatbags on a ship, and of course killbots.

We basically imagined it as a Paradox grand strategy game but in a hard scifi setting like The Expanse.
Sam is basically right, he's just cranky.

Offline Oviraptor

• R-Type Force Pod
  • tastes just like chicken
    • View Profile
    • Oviraptor's World
« Reply #22 on: March 19, 2017, 04:14:29 pm »
Now, just imagine the game you are describing using something like Space Engine for visuals, scale, and realism.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2017, 02:10:37 pm by Oviraptor »