Author Topic: Planetary Dawn Project: Construction of Worlds  (Read 13805 times)

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
Re: Planetary Dawn Project: Construction of Worlds
« Reply #195 on: December 13, 2016, 04:24:05 pm »
Moas are flightless though...

Also I don't think it would be biologically possible given an earth-like evolutionary timeline for a flying animal strong enough to support a human being for any length of time.
Sam is basically right, he's just cranky.

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #196 on: December 13, 2016, 04:35:02 pm »
Moas are flightless though...

I don't even know what you're talking about. I was just saying I'm okay with flying mounts.

Offline Oviraptor

• R-Type Force Pod
  • tastes just like chicken
    • View Profile
    • Oviraptor's World
« Reply #197 on: December 13, 2016, 04:40:20 pm »
What about animals that humans lived along side but went exist during the last ice age? Such as the various Megafauna of the Americas and Australia.

Mammoths and Megalania and Macrauchenia, oh my!

Really, though, as cool as some of these animals were, I'd rather this be more like a detailed history and less like Dinotopia.

There's some brainstorming going on on steam, and I like the idea of having some rules to force us to change things up from the world as it is.  One idea is to not use common domesticated animals.  Which might have been why I mentioned moas, anyway...

I took this route during PCP2! As long as it's a plausible domestication, I see no reason it can't be different. It's a great way to add a unique feel and still keep it within an Earth-analog setting.

Edit: Also, still working on the map!
« Last Edit: December 13, 2016, 04:47:34 pm by Oviraptor »

Offline Brandonazz

• Baseball SuperStar
  • Hoc etiam transibit
    • View Profile
    • My Internet Treasure Trove
« Reply #198 on: December 13, 2016, 05:16:26 pm »
Edit: Also, still working on the map!

Better be.

*cracks whip*

Offline Hydromancerx

• Master of Orion
  • Klaatu Barada Nikto!
    • View Profile
    • Sagan 4
« Reply #199 on: December 13, 2016, 06:01:33 pm »
Really, though, as cool as some of these animals were, I'd rather this be more like a detailed history and less like Dinotopia.

While Dinotopia is cool I am looking more for unique animals to build cultures around.

Such as this ...

Megatherium Rider (with pet condors)
http://rodrigo-vega.deviantart.com/art/Centralia-s-emperor-87987882
« Last Edit: December 13, 2016, 06:05:09 pm by Hydromancerx »

Offline Hydromancerx

• Master of Orion
  • Klaatu Barada Nikto!
    • View Profile
    • Sagan 4
« Reply #200 on: December 13, 2016, 06:42:50 pm »
I was thinking about the biomes on Earth and how many species cross over. I tried to account for the isolation of the 3 main areas on Earth; Africa/Europe/Asia, North/South America and Australia.

Red = North America
Orange = South America
Yellow = Africa
Green = Eurasia
Blue = Australia
Purple = Hawaii

I could not really fit in Antarctica so maybe its part of Australia or South America. Note some of the islands can become like Madagascar or the Galapagos.

I also think we should have each of the biomes fit into a 3 tiered system. At the bottom of the tier is the Earth counterpart biome. Which i show above with those regions. Next are Ice Age species from those specific regions. Such as Giant Wombats in the Australian region. And the 3rd tier are unique species made just for our planet. Based about how the different biomes connect to each other.

What do you guys think?

Offline Brandonazz

• Baseball SuperStar
  • Hoc etiam transibit
    • View Profile
    • My Internet Treasure Trove
« Reply #201 on: December 13, 2016, 08:57:44 pm »
I think you nailed the distribution of landmasses relative to levels of isolation of animal communities.

I think adding biomes for specific species isn't necessary for the game, but would be more like a flavor thing done for depth.

It'd be simpler for us to decide on what unusual species are allowed and just use them when appropriate in the course of play.

Maybe we should just approve every species that existed within 200,000 years (time since first modern humans) and any fictional species on a species-by-species basis.

Whichever of us is the biggest giant sloth fan shouldn't have to ditch their geographical site of choice just to get their megafauna fix.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2016, 08:59:56 pm by Brandonazz »

Offline Inkling

• S.T.U.N. Runner
  • Not a Squid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: December 13, 2016, 09:24:23 pm »
I agree.  I don't think we should get too hung up on recreating exact copies of ecosystems.
Probably not a Goat, either.

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #203 on: December 14, 2016, 08:45:23 am »
I don't even know what moa is.

That biome thing looks cool, Hydro. But let's wait and see what the mountain ranges look like. That could end up changing biome location.

As for requiring changes to traditional earth may-mays, I think a lot of this should come up organically. I suspect that once we start making the basics (and we should keep the basics basic for the sake of having a solid foundation - made-up birds like moas can come a step later) and once we launch a few "miracle/happening/mystery" events that change the world around us, paths forward toward what a lot of you are asking for will become more concrete.

A cart and horse situation, as it were. Let's not launch something too soon if a better introduction can be naturally created through gameplay.

Offline Inkling

• S.T.U.N. Runner
  • Not a Squid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: December 14, 2016, 03:16:41 pm »
I don't even know what moa is.

...made-up birds like moas can come a step later

Third grade me would really want to fight you right now.
Probably not a Goat, either.

Offline Hydromancerx

• Master of Orion
  • Klaatu Barada Nikto!
    • View Profile
    • Sagan 4
« Reply #205 on: December 14, 2016, 03:24:54 pm »
Well its not just domestication its also for hunting. Like how hard is it to hunt their prey? is it like Plains Indians with the Bison? Hunting wild boars in Europe? Seal Hunters of the Arctic? Also animals might have valuable horns, tusks, antlers, etc that that culture might prize.

Will a culture focus around one animal? Or will there be folklore around many different animals. What kind of traits will they apply to those animals (ex. Wise Owl)?

Are soe animals prized for their eggs, or venom/poison, pelts/fur, etc. Are they a pest? Are they an indicator of a seasonal change? So much can be done in this area of human culture.

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #206 on: December 14, 2016, 03:30:22 pm »
Indeed. All of that detail will (and should) come out through our descriptions. We might even inadvertently create systems. And this is where the collaboration is fun, too. If you see an unbalanced ecosystem, maybe you add something.

Offline Hydromancerx

• Master of Orion
  • Klaatu Barada Nikto!
    • View Profile
    • Sagan 4
« Reply #207 on: December 14, 2016, 05:52:07 pm »
When in human evolution will we be starting? Australopithecus? Homo Hablisis? Homo Erectus? Homo Sapiens? Some bare milestones from each ...

Australopithecus
Eats mostly a vegetarian diet along with small bugs. Tools around the same level as chimps. No stone tools yet.

Homo Habilis
First stone tools. Now eating carrion from other animals kills. Using the stone tools to cut the meat. No fire yet.

Homo Erectus
First fire and cooking. More advanced stone tools. First spears and clothing. First primitive shelters.

Homo Sapiens (Prehistoric)
Explosion of culture such as graves, carved figurines. Throwing spears for better hunting. Trade and better shelters.

Homo Sapiens (Stone Age)
Taming wolves, fishing, tents, food preservation, pottery, baskets, etc.

In short things get very complex fast. Even before we reach Homo Sapiens.

Offline Oviraptor

• R-Type Force Pod
  • tastes just like chicken
    • View Profile
    • Oviraptor's World
« Reply #208 on: December 14, 2016, 06:31:44 pm »
I say we start here, with a single origin point and have humans spread out into the world in much the same way the they did on Earth.

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #209 on: December 14, 2016, 06:45:48 pm »
Aw man we have to play as Thai people? Fine. :P