Author Topic: Planetary Dawn Project: Construction of Worlds  (Read 13591 times)

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
Re: Planetary Dawn Project: Construction of Worlds
« Reply #120 on: December 06, 2016, 10:36:38 pm »
I think we should still pick the regions for fauna equivalency (similar to how we started to do in PCP3]we started to do in PCP3). Easier than just making up as we go along. This could probably wait until after the biomes are picked.

I like this idea. But I also like Hydro's comprehensive list of biomes. :U

Also since we're going this far into making the world believable, are we all okay with going down a more realistic path as opposed to a fantasy or magic route?

Offline Hydromancerx

• Master of Orion
  • Klaatu Barada Nikto!
    • View Profile
    • Sagan 4
« Reply #121 on: December 07, 2016, 12:03:03 am »
I think we should still pick the regions for fauna equivalency (similar to how we started to do in PCP3]we started to do in PCP3). Easier than just making up as we go along. This could probably wait until after the biomes are picked.

Well in Caveman 2 Cosmos what we did is assign animals to spawning coordinates. So no matter the map the anials would spawn in the correct part of the globe. So like Kanagroos always ended up in the Southeast part of the globe. Since we have more control over this map i do not think this should be done for this map. Likewise just declaring like this land mass as "New Africa" a wasted opportunity. What if we just made up plausible animals based on existing ones. Like maybe they don't have aiger but they have some sort of big cat that fills that role.

We would not have to make every single animal but add them as we tell our story as needed.

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #122 on: December 07, 2016, 08:07:45 am »
I think we can leave some room open for the creation of other species. It may not be as open-ended as something like Spore since we're heading towards a realism angle. But yeah, I think we can make both work. Clearly there is a desire on the part of some players to do this, so it should be incorporated.

Would it be reasonable to ask that whatever we make, we try to keep humanity as the primary race? Or should we make them earn it and have two competing intelligent races? Are we prepared to play that out to its conclusion? Could do the classic human/reptile split.

Offline Slinky

• Mr. Do! Disciple
  • hey there
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: December 07, 2016, 10:58:29 am »
Two races would be really cool, especially reptilians :)

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #124 on: December 07, 2016, 11:26:52 am »
I really like this map that was posted: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biome

It makes sense to me that we just use this map key. We can just use the eyedropper tool to get the color and bam, we're off and rolling. It is also a fairly comprehensive list but not needlessly complex.

I'm also on board with the ideas of divergence and convergence. Should that be a mechanic that we are bound to abide by? Or should we keep it as an informal policy that we try to uphold?

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: December 07, 2016, 12:17:58 pm »
I agree with the map biomes and colours, keeps it nice and consistent.

The Jared Diamond thing should be an informal policy.
Sam is basically right, he's just cranky.

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #126 on: December 07, 2016, 12:52:02 pm »
Oh also! If any of you wanna discuss the game or whatever, feel free to hit me up on Steam whenever I'm online. Maybe we can get a couple people every now and again.

Offline Hydromancerx

• Master of Orion
  • Klaatu Barada Nikto!
    • View Profile
    • Sagan 4
« Reply #127 on: December 07, 2016, 02:38:22 pm »
I really like this map that was posted: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biome

It makes sense to me that we just use this map key. We can just use the eyedropper tool to get the color and bam, we're off and rolling. It is also a fairly comprehensive list but not needlessly complex.

I'm also on board with the ideas of divergence and convergence. Should that be a mechanic that we are bound to abide by? Or should we keep it as an informal policy that we try to uphold?

Wait you said you liked my system now you said you liked this system. Which do you like? The colors of this system with the biomes of my system?

Offline Hydromancerx

• Master of Orion
  • Klaatu Barada Nikto!
    • View Profile
    • Sagan 4
« Reply #128 on: December 07, 2016, 02:46:29 pm »
I think we can leave some room open for the creation of other species. It may not be as open-ended as something like Spore since we're heading towards a realism angle. But yeah, I think we can make both work. Clearly there is a desire on the part of some players to do this, so it should be incorporated.

Would it be reasonable to ask that whatever we make, we try to keep humanity as the primary race? Or should we make them earn it and have two competing intelligent races? Are we prepared to play that out to its conclusion? Could do the classic human/reptile split.

If we are doing a Reptilian race I suggest the"Dinosauroid" race instead.

http://povorot.deviantart.com/gallery/9348116/The-Dinosauroids

They are the most realistic sentient/sapient dinosaurs I have seen. Note they live in a world with humans too. In their scenario not all the dinosaurs died out. Some smaller dinosaurs survived (besides the birds like our timeline).

Here are some of the new animals from their world ...

http://povorot.deviantart.com/gallery/9348132/The-World-They-Live-In

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: December 07, 2016, 03:28:27 pm »
I'm open to a two species idea but I'd prefer something more caveman like. A different evolutionary branch diverging from our common ancestor with gorillas possibly.
Sam is basically right, he's just cranky.

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #130 on: December 07, 2016, 09:53:49 pm »
Wait you said you liked my system now you said you liked this system. Which do you like? The colors of this system with the biomes of my system?

I like both but I am also looking at it from the perspective of keeping things moving along. That map comes with a good list of biomes, a map key already made in simple colors we can eyedrop in most programs, and allows us to easily glance and get info. If real cartographers are using it there's no reason we should try to reinvent the wheel unnecessarily. So it's more than just the colors and the biome names. That wiki page offers up a complete product ready to ship, which is ultimately what we need here.

Offline Hydromancerx

• Master of Orion
  • Klaatu Barada Nikto!
    • View Profile
    • Sagan 4
« Reply #131 on: December 07, 2016, 11:51:50 pm »
The biomes of Sagan 4 have been used for years now with only minor tweaks. The example used in that dosn't seem to be any stardard system, just a map used on wikipedia.

Real climates systems like the Koppen climate classification system are what most use but its very complex. Which is Why Sagan 4 was simplified. We also have our own key on the map if you cared to look.

http://wiki.mydigiview.com/index.php?title=Image:Sagan4_w26_gigantic_labeled.jpg

Yes I use the eyedropper tool too. However its purple and pink to reflect the purple flora of Sagan 4. Also blue for land was mostly avoided due to having ocean biomes too.

EDIT: Here is a combo key from both using more Earth-like colors.

« Last Edit: December 08, 2016, 12:05:57 am by Hydromancerx »

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #132 on: December 08, 2016, 07:45:31 am »
Does anyone else have thoughts? I'm trying to be encouraging to everyone's ideas in hopes that they'll provide us with lots of information so we can all make a decision. But I'm not hearing much from you guys. I don't want to be the one making all of these decisions. I'm getting the sense that maybe some of you don't want to stick your toes into this debate for fear it gets heated.

I think Hydro's plan is good, but I worry a bit because he is pushing for it really hard and nobody is really offering any advice. If we reject his plan without giving him a fair discussion, why should he continue to bother playing with us? On the other hand, we also need to discuss all of the plans and not just Hydro's plan, even though he really really really wants us to use that one.

So come on guys, this is the one we have to discuss now. The other things have time before their due date. But these biome types are the issue on the docket for today. So let's get this one in the books before this evening. :)

How will we do biomes? Would you like to go with Oviraptor's plan or Hydromancerx's plan? Each are successful models, Ovi's based on real-world maps and offers more simplicity and Hydro's based on and used for a game that is somewhat similar to our own and this system is quite comprehensive, plus it is known to work. Each has merit. Let's talk!

Offline Brandonazz

• Baseball SuperStar
  • Hoc etiam transibit
    • View Profile
    • My Internet Treasure Trove
« Reply #133 on: December 08, 2016, 09:02:17 am »
I like both but I am also looking at it from the perspective of keeping things moving along. That map comes with a good list of biomes, a map key already made in simple colors we can eyedrop in most programs, and allows us to easily glance and get info. If real cartographers are using it there's no reason we should try to reinvent the wheel unnecessarily. So it's more than just the colors and the biome names. That wiki page offers up a complete product ready to ship, which is ultimately what we need here.

This is my position. It has the added benefit of allowing us to look up real-world-actual-images of locations with any given climate to see exactly what it looks like.

You want subtropical rainforest? Let me just step outside for a minute. The highs are in the 80s F this week.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2016, 09:04:57 am by Brandonazz »

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #134 on: December 08, 2016, 09:05:06 am »
Oh damn that is an excellent point. If we come up against any issues, we can reconcile them against a map of a real-world location with similar features.

Yeah that about seals it for me. Damn that was like, the perfect point.