Author Topic: Planetary Dawn Project: Construction of Worlds  (Read 13673 times)

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
Re: Planetary Dawn Project: Construction of Worlds
« Reply #105 on: December 06, 2016, 06:49:59 am »
Shadowrun is awesome, Hydro. You should look into that more some time.

Right, so we've got our plates more or less done. Let's get this boat show on the road!

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #106 on: December 06, 2016, 09:28:29 am »
Did a rough map to show where likely mountains would be placed.

The red lines are all fault lines that would cause mountains to form. One special caveat is the Northeastern continent. The north-south fault line is a transform fault, which is where the land slides past each other rather than into or away from one another. That island in the center is just a giant volcano lol

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #107 on: December 06, 2016, 02:29:44 pm »
Right, so the order of events.

We've got our map outline and plates decided upon. We also know where there are likely to be somewhat large mountain ranges. I assume we'll be able to paint in smaller ranges here and there.

At this point we can also get an idea of what some of our biomes are going to look like. Are we ready to begin painting biomes? How would you like to go about terraforming areas? A grid? Just call out places? Discussion and teamwork? We have options! :D

Offline Hydromancerx

• Master of Orion
  • Klaatu Barada Nikto!
    • View Profile
    • Sagan 4
« Reply #108 on: December 06, 2016, 02:46:56 pm »
You need to draw the Equator, Tropic lines (ex tropic of Cancer) and polar circle lines. So we can tell where each of the 3 categories of biomes will be (polar, temperate and tropical). After they are drawn you need to draw the sea currents so we can accurately place biomes.

Offline Hydromancerx

• Master of Orion
  • Klaatu Barada Nikto!
    • View Profile
    • Sagan 4
« Reply #109 on: December 06, 2016, 03:24:56 pm »

Blue = Cold Current
Pink = Warm Current

I made a quick version of hwo sea currents could work. This will help us determine where biomes should go.

You can see how sea currents influenced the map for Sagan 4

http://wiki.mydigiview.com/images/1/1d/Sagan4_w26_gigantic_labeled.jpg

Dry to Wet
 Desert -> Grassland -> Scubland -> Woodland -> Rainforest -> Wetland

Tropical
Dune -> Savanna -> Tropical Scrubalnd -> Tropical Woodland -> Tropical Rianforest -> Swamp

Temperate
Desert -> Plains -> Scrubland -> Temperate Woodland -> Temperate Rainforest -> Marsh

Polar
Tundra -> Polar Scrub -> Taiga -> Bog

Mountain
High Desert -> High Grassland -> Rocky -> Boreal -> Alpine -> Moor
« Last Edit: December 06, 2016, 03:41:47 pm by Hydromancerx »

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #110 on: December 06, 2016, 03:44:26 pm »
I like the stratification of biome types. There's a lot there, but it seems like detail that will be useful to have.

As for the currents, I like it. I just don't know if my judgement on this aspect is the best to go by. So I'll wait for more input.

Offline Josasa

• Commando Soldier
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: December 06, 2016, 04:51:38 pm »
I like the currents and biomes setup. Feels like it's coming together. Below is another jump ahead, but it was something I was thinking about while at work.

Lengthy post ahead, looking forward to some discussion around it!

I was looking back at Oviís breakdown of Eras and Ages and I liked the organization, but then I got to thinking. Iím not sure if this is the same for everyone else, but when I look at periods of time, like the Medieval Era or the Age of Gunpowder, it defines a pretty specific ĎEuro-centricí model of history for that time. Most of the history Iíve read is based on the ĎEuro-centricí view point so Iíll admit thatís what Iím most familiar with, but I donít believe a culture like China defines their past with similar terms. Given their more isolationist view on the world, the Age of Sail doesnít seem an appropriate descriptor for their section of history, except for maybe Zheng He and the Chinese treasure ships which lasted for all of a century at most. Again, Iím not well versed in Chinese history and they may very well have a period labeled similar to the Age of Sail. My point is that using some of these labels could pigeon hole our ideas into specific time periods that might limit our creativity. This might make the world more Earth-like than we intended.

My suggestion is somewhat based on Ian Morrisí Why the West Rules Ė For Now which has some similarities with Guns, Germs, and Steel by Jared Diamond. Both are pretty decent reads for a project like this.  One of the underlying principles was a series of high points for civilization and then subsequent crashes (not necessarily low points). Once weíre out of the Prehistoric Era (I think that timeline still makes a lot of sense since itís pretty generic despite its reference to technology) I suggest we label time periods as either ages of Convergence or Divergence. The idea here is that this designates a time period as a rough guideline for the conglomeration of peoples under larger governments (empires, federations, etc.), or the breakup of these empires into smaller polities (city-states, kingdoms). You could think of it like bubbles that continue to merge before finally popping and restarting the process. This way, we can come up with our own ĎAgeí names based on the history weíve created. Maybe we have a massive singular empire that discovers the new world or city-states that undergo the industrial revolution.

These time periods can even be specific to certain geographical areas once the initial culture groups are placed and it becomes clear which cultures are in contact with each other. While one area is converging into larger nations, another area could be fragmenting into kingdoms.

I think thereís a good premise for this based on Earthís history. In a grand generalization, there is the creation of the Roman Empire and the eventual breakup into European kingdoms. These started to solidify back into nations over time until the world wars which followed another period of fragmentation, etc. Thatís a very basic overview that skips a lot of history, but I hope it gets my idea across. The lengths of convergence or divergence can be varied based on our tastes. This can allow us to stretch out the game as long as we like since we could slow down human advancement with more divergent setbacks like Patís suggestion about natural disasters, disease, angry beavers, etc.

Offline Oviraptor

• R-Type Force Pod
  • tastes just like chicken
    • View Profile
    • Oviraptor's World
« Reply #112 on: December 06, 2016, 05:12:16 pm »
Bolded and redded to make sure you read this part:

I can create a geological profile for the planet if you guys like. I'll go though add all the elevation data on the 10k scale image. Also clean up the fault data and what not (probably make some minor changes, but should be mostly what Pat laid out). It might take me a few days, but it should be a nice presentable map when it's done.

As for biomes, I'd use this as a reference. But I wouldn't start adding them until i finish the geological profile map.

Also, that map will probably have to be redone. Both because the elevation map might affect things and because you've drawn the tropical and polar circles in the wrong places. They should be at the latitudes indicated in this article.

...ALL THE TEXTS...

Some good ideas. Keep in mind that was just a preliminary idea, not meant to necessarily be final. It also was meant to describe the time period technologically instead of politically, but it's hard to do specifically because of the reasons you outlined. Anyway, I'm definitely open to any changes to the system I came up with.

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: December 06, 2016, 05:25:37 pm »
Words

Thumbs up from me. If we wanted to get really fancy with it then I'd suggest the cycles of covergeance and diveregeance should be out of sync for different parts of the world. So on one continent there might be an ascendent empire while on another there's a breakdown of organised states.
Sam is basically right, he's just cranky.

Offline Slinky

• Mr. Do! Disciple
  • hey there
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: December 06, 2016, 05:30:45 pm »
Convergence/divergence is a really cool idea, sounds fun

Offline Oviraptor

• R-Type Force Pod
    • View Profile
    • Oviraptor's World
« Reply #115 on: December 06, 2016, 05:32:26 pm »
I can create a geological profile for the planet if you guys like. I'll go though add all the elevation data on the 10k scale image. Also clean up the fault data and what not (probably make some minor changes, but should be mostly what Pat laid out). It might take me a few days, but it should be a nice presentable map when it's done.

Oh, also, feel free to throw out your ideas of where you guys might think old mountain ranges might be (i.e. Appalachian, Ural, etc.).

Offline Slinky

• Mr. Do! Disciple
  • hey there
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: December 06, 2016, 06:27:37 pm »
Maybe have the southeastern continent have an old mountain range? It seems like it's drifted the farthest from its original Pangaea place

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #117 on: December 06, 2016, 07:00:39 pm »
Words

Thumbs up from me. If we wanted to get really fancy with it then I'd suggest the cycles of covergeance and diveregeance should be out of sync for different parts of the world. So on one continent there might be an ascendent empire while on another there's a breakdown of organised states.

Yes and yes. I think we will be able to gauge a lot of this better once we have an actual group of people milling about on the surface. But I like the idea of keeping it amorphous, rather than based on our own historical model.

Ovi, I'd love to see your maps. I guess the biomes and topography will, to an extent, be pre-determined due to the fact that we're doing plates. Will we still be doing a "land phase" or a "terraforming phase"? How is that going to work? Or is that kind of out the window since we went with this "plates" model?

Offline Oviraptor

• R-Type Force Pod
    • View Profile
    • Oviraptor's World
« Reply #118 on: December 06, 2016, 07:07:56 pm »
I think we should still pick the regions for fauna equivalency (similar to how we started to do in PCP3]we started to do in PCP3). Easier than just making up as we go along. This could probably wait until after the biomes are picked.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2016, 07:11:03 pm by Oviraptor »

Offline Hydromancerx

• Master of Orion
  • Klaatu Barada Nikto!
    • View Profile
    • Sagan 4
« Reply #119 on: December 06, 2016, 08:14:06 pm »
As for biomes, I'd use this as a reference. But I wouldn't start adding them until i finish the geological profile map.

That system is both more complex than the system I proposed. I also think some areas are very specific like "Broadleaf Forest". Which is specific to Earth. In my system it would just be like "Temperate Woodland" much more generic. But based on that I would say ...

Tundra = Tundra
Polar Scubland = Not Listed
Taiga = Taiga
Bog = Not Listed

Desert = Semi Arid Desert
Plains = Temperate Steppe
Chaparral = Mediterranean Vegetation
Temperate Woodland = Broadleaf Forest
Temperate Rainforest = Montane Forest
Marsh = Not Listed

Dunes = Arid Desert
Savanna = Grass Savanna