Author Topic: Westworld  (Read 1427 times)

Offline Tesla

• Street Fighter Champion
    • View Profile
Westworld
« on: October 03, 2016, 03:01:56 pm »
Bang bang! Cowboys and Indians and robots! Pew pew!

I thought it was good. I'm into it. Only one episode in and already an entire room of full frontal. Thanks HBO.

Who else thinks most of the technicians are probably also robots?

No way dude, you're trolling me.

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
Re: Westworld
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2016, 05:15:14 am »
First episode was fantastic. I'm really looking forward to the rest of the season. Lots of nice scifi questions being raised. The look and feel and sound of everything is great. I love the effect of the totally serious, crafted Western stories being interposed with a bunch of dumb tourists constantly breaking character and blundering through everything.

I've never seen the original movie but from what I understand it's the fairly standard Jurrasic Park story of the robuts going wrong and trying to kill the guests. It's interesting that the series totally inverts that mechanic and makes the replicants basically totally innocent, even when they're vile murderers and rapists, and makes the true villains the disgusting rich *******s raping their way through the park and of course the amoral technical fellows and shady corporate types running the show.

Also retro instrumentals of modern songs, good stuff.

I give it 8 cowboy hats out of 10
Sam is basically right, he's just cranky.

Offline Tesla

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2016, 05:57:54 am »
Heads up - HBO released the second episode early!

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2016, 10:39:54 am »
Oh man, I was looking forward to watching it on Monday. Stick to a scheduel HBO.

Offline Tesla

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2016, 11:22:42 am »
You can still watch it on Monday!!

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2016, 04:33:33 pm »
Too late, already downloaded, gonna watch imminently.

Offline Hydromancerx

• Master of Orion
  • Klaatu Barada Nikto!
    • View Profile
    • Sagan 4
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2016, 07:31:21 pm »
I like the concept and the show is ok. Though seems like the same formula of Michael Crichton.

There are a few things I question ...

1.They said the park has been around for like 30 years are they alluding that the orginal movie was when the park first opened? If so is it suppose to be an alternate timeline to now? Like higher tech but same year? They also said that all diseases have been cured. So I assume it can either be alt timeline or in the future.

2.So are their outer parts suppose to be synthetic or biological? If biological do they need to eat?

3.In the original movie it mentioned there was an Ancient Roman and Medieval parks. Do you think there will be other parks shown in this series too?

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2016, 02:49:53 am »
1. Doesn't matter and I'm almost certain it will never be addressed in anything more than very small background hints.

2. They're clearly entirely "biological" in the sense that they're 3D printed and have some sort of synthetic biology that mimics a human very closely rather than being animatronics that just mimic the appearance of a human. The possible exception being their brains which seem to be some sort of sophisticated computers. Presumeably they need some sort of fuel source but probably they just get topped up with some sort of chemical fuel when all their blood gets replaced during maintenance.

3. Not in season 1 :P

Offline Plank of Wood

• Final Fighter
  • Ka-Boom!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2016, 12:19:51 pm »
it's good
the real saviour of this forum

Offline Hydromancerx

• Master of Orion
  • Klaatu Barada Nikto!
    • View Profile
    • Sagan 4
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2016, 12:54:39 am »
3.In the original movie it mentioned there was an Ancient Roman and Medieval parks. Do you think there will be other parks shown in this series too?

Yay they did it! They went to another park! Samurai World!!

Offline Brandonazz

• Baseball SuperStar
  • Hoc etiam transibit
    • View Profile
    • My Internet Treasure Trove
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2016, 06:53:53 pm »
Oh man, I can't believe that the William and Man in Black storylines were taking place decades apart with identical characters.

I was totally bamboozled the entire season.

The hint they kept giving, which confused me, was people showing up at the church town location and it sometimes being buried, sometimes not. I thought this was just the hosts confusing their memories with the present.

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2016, 01:25:33 am »
Yeah honestly there was a lot of classic Nolan obfuscation going on there throughout.

Like, if they hadn't been incredibly selective in what they showed you of what was going on then it would have been obvious much earlier, but they limited it to really cryptic hints and kept throwing red herrings that seemed to disconfirm it.

Offline Brandonazz

• Baseball SuperStar
  • Hoc etiam transibit
    • View Profile
    • My Internet Treasure Trove
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2016, 09:56:55 am »
Now that I've had a bit more time to process it, they actually made an ever bigger hint that I missed.

All of the hosts that William and Logan harmed / dismembered had obvious metal components, unlike the modern models.

Which the Man in Black had mentioned to Teddy in an earlier episode.

Offline eropS

• Out Run Speedster
  • That's right, I went there
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2016, 10:07:00 am »
The logos are different and he also recognizes the host model and calls her out as an old one
No, no, he did. In the everything else section, at least. Officially, this makes him king.

Offline Tesla

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2016, 10:20:41 am »
And obviously the fact that the photo of Logan's sister is the same photo Dolores' dad finds buried in the dirt in the first episode. That's a big one. :p

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2016, 10:43:43 am »
Those flew by so fast though that I didn't really have a chance to connect them.

Maybe if the series had been released in a big lump on netflix and I'd binged it but with a week between hour long episodes its hard to remember the exact content of a dirty photo.

In general the show played some dirty games to keep its twists hidden. Like for example switching between a third person perspective to the direct experience of characters and hosts without any indication that was happening. That way Ford can show us a god damn photo with Arnold in it but because we're obliviously witnessing it through Bernard's eyes we don't see the third man in the photo.

It also conveniently doesn't show any hints that the hosts in the Logan 'n' Billy story are old school robos until around the point it starts getting increasingly obvious that there's a two timeline thing going on anyway.

Though I don't know why I would expect otherwise since this is a Nolan production and the Nolans are masters of doing stuff that makes perfect sense as you watch it because it obeys cinematic rules, and then in retrospect is a massive logical cluster****. The goto example they use on the Cracked podcast is that in the Dark Knight Rises Batman chases Bane into a tunnel and it's broad daylight and when they exit the tunnel after a few minutes it's night time.