Author Topic: h a c k m u d  (Read 2288 times)

Offline Celdur

• R-Type Force Pod
  • :33
    • View Profile
h a c k m u d
« on: September 28, 2016, 07:49:51 am »
h a c k m u d is a sort of mmo about hacking. It's almost completely text based, with some flair to make you feel extra hackery.
Out of all the hacking games I've played, this one feels the most real.
You can access other peoples or npc accounts and take all their money, but most are protected by locks, which act like little puzzles you have to beat.

You can create scripts to brute force a lot of things, or you can use other peoples scripts, either for sale or made by friends.
The scripts are in java, and you don't need to know any java to be useful or have fun in this game.
Scripts aren't just for breaking locks though, people have made "websites", faq's and wiki's, all sorts of stuff.
And of course, a lot of scripts are also malicious. If you enter the wrong script, you could lose all your money, for example.
Thankfully there are ways to check if a script is dangerous or not, but you'll have to be vigilant all on your own.

So aside from finding npc accounts in a mess of data for money, there is a big pvp aspect to this game.
And it mostly boils down to finding peoples loc's, which is basically their IP adress, or making people run your dirty scripts.
To do pretty much anything on an effective level you'll need the help of other people, mostly because you need users, and each player only gets 2.
The game helps you with this since you can make a corp, which is basically a clan or a guild.
With corps you can set up users to be something other than just the account you play on.
You could turn them into banks, or decoys, money laundering, traps, whatever.

It's all very interesting, and you really don't need to know any scripting to be part of something.
In a way this game reminds me a lot of EVE, but with a lot less downtime.
I'd love to have a bunch of people come together to make some big project of helping/****ing people over.
But I guess we'll see where it goes.

If you want a better idea of what the game is like, this article is pretty good:
https://mmos.com/editorials/interview-with-sean-gubelman-developer-of-hackmud

So far me, sam, wizard and gungnir have gotten the game, and I hope we can get more folks in.
If people show any interest I might make a few helpful posts with info.

Quote from: Krakow sam
That quote is actualy very witty, Celdur. I suggest you use that in your signature.

Offline sgore

• SunDog Pilot
  • Actually, Jeopardy is my second favorite game show
    • View Profile
Re: h a c k m u d
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2016, 09:02:13 am »
This game looks amazing, and I will likely look into it more later. Thanks for sharing it!
What meme is relevant right now? Look, just imagine I'm riffing on that. Updating signatures is exhausting.

Sam:The Ploofy Master

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2016, 09:20:35 am »
h a c k m u d

Do I have to spell it that way? Major turn off.

Offline Legodragonxp

• Excitebike Gearhead
  • Now for some real user power...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2016, 09:30:26 am »
h a c k m u d

If you want it to come up on a STEAM search, yeah. I might actually be looking in to this.

-Lego

Offline Legodragonxp

• Excitebike Gearhead
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2016, 04:19:02 pm »
h a c k m u d

If you want it to come up on a STEAM search, yeah. I might actually be looking in to this.
EDIT: I watched a couple of the lets play guys, I think I'll wait a bit.

-Lego

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2016, 04:50:32 pm »
Innovative.

Offline Legodragonxp

• Excitebike Gearhead
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2016, 08:23:20 pm »
It actually, conceptually, looks really cool. I was a huge EVE Online player and this is right up that same alley. My concern is that when I scratched at the surface of it, it seemed to have a steep learning curve (coding) combined with a very limited end game (just bashing each other over the head after the 'main mission').

I scratched a little deeper and looked at a few other 'hacking games'. I loved the old UPLINK game from a decade ago but it is showing its age.The genre isn't really there yet (HACKMUD is the closest yet). In my digging I found DUSKERS, more of an "FTL meets console commands", but I am really enjoying it.

I should point out I've been on a William Gibson kick lately,so I'm in that mood.

-Lego

Online Tesla

• Street Fighter Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2016, 01:16:28 am »
The scripts are in java, and you don't need to know any java to be useful or have fun in this game.

it's not java, it's like... sort-of-javascript.

looks cool!
No way dude, you're trolling me.

Offline Celdur

• R-Type Force Pod
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2016, 01:38:52 am »
It actually, conceptually, looks really cool. I was a huge EVE Online player and this is right up that same alley. My concern is that when I scratched at the surface of it, it seemed to have a steep learning curve (coding) combined with a very limited end game (just bashing each other over the head after the 'main mission').

I scratched a little deeper and looked at a few other 'hacking games'. I loved the old UPLINK game from a decade ago but it is showing its age.The genre isn't really there yet (HACKMUD is the closest yet). In my digging I found DUSKERS, more of an "FTL meets console commands", but I am really enjoying it.

I should point out I've been on a William Gibson kick lately,so I'm in that mood.

-Lego

Duskers is a pretty fun game, got a bit repetitive though.
And I don't think the learning curve is too rough, you only need to know how commands work, you never need to actually code yourself.
I will say though, the endgame isn't quite there yet. So far it consists of people making fun/useful places to visit, or people trying to get other people to run their spooky scripts.
There's also some ARG type sites around according to the developer, that people still haven't cracked after months. I think I stumbled on one a while ago but I can't find it anymore.
I'm sure as things evolve stuff will get more interesting, but right now if that doesnt sound interesting maybe you should wait.

That quote is actualy very witty, Celdur. I suggest you use that in your signature.

Offline Celdur

• R-Type Force Pod
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2016, 04:01:54 pm »
hey wiz, if you're reading this, can you make a simple money/upgrade siphon script?
when I leave breaching logs I want to leave a fake one afterwards thats just a script, but I need the script first
and y0g works great, I breached a T1 and got a script char upgrade from it, send it to your main user.

Online Tesla

• Street Fighter Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2016, 04:51:45 pm »
alright, I bought the game. (But then it went down)
No way dude, you're trolling me.

Offline Legodragonxp

• Excitebike Gearhead
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2016, 05:12:56 pm »
Looks like they had a maintenance window. I'm reading a lot of mixed reviews on this. Sound like a lot of people are hacking the game rather than hacking IN the game.

-Lego

Offline Celdur

• R-Type Force Pod
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2016, 06:20:36 pm »
yeah, the dev is working on it, he talks with the community a lot.
there is also a money shortage right now, the game is designed to prevent inflation but it's kinda backfiring right now, he's also working on that.
for a one man mmo this is going pretty well though, lots of cool stuff is happening.

Offline Legodragonxp

• Excitebike Gearhead
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2016, 09:08:56 pm »
Economy of MMOs is a nightmare. Eve Online has an economist on staff just to help keep the inflation in check. The rumbling I've been reading is that the high tier people are clearing out the newbie areas leaving them too broke to move forward. A single person-run MMO is a bad plan. WoW made it worthless for high-level players to raid lower level areas for the most point. Something similar needs to be done.

-Lego

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2016, 05:06:51 am »
Maybe we should force politicians to run an MMO before we let them have the big boy governments.