Author Topic: RimWorld  (Read 2327 times)

Offline Hydromancerx

• Master of Orion
  • Klaatu Barada Nikto!
    • View Profile
    • Sagan 4
RimWorld
« on: September 15, 2016, 03:45:25 am »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=866pKJDoHj4" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=866pKJDoHj4</a>

I was suprised not to see a topic on th forum yet for this game. I am rather late to the game since it s been in development for years now. I recently got the game and have been addicted to it. For those who don't know its like DF in space and looks a lot like Prison Architect. Has a similar feel to Starbound but is "top-down" instead of "side-scroller".

RimWorld
http://store.steampowered.com/app/294100/

Anyone else play this too?
« Last Edit: September 15, 2016, 03:48:26 am by Hydromancerx »

Offline eropS

• Out Run Speedster
  • That's right, I went there
    • View Profile
Re: RimWorld
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2016, 07:01:30 am »
I'm more of a wait till it's done person for the most part. Have had my eye on it and will probably pick it up when it is finished
No, no, he did. In the everything else section, at least. Officially, this makes him king.

Offline Rysworld

• Autoduel Mechanic
  • hhhhhhhh
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2016, 09:38:52 am »
I like this game a lot! Been playing a lot of it recently.

I suggest the Achtung! mod and the Medieval mod if anybody's looking for any. Ahctung improves the order-giving system and the Medieval mod brings in, as might be obvious, medieval items, as well as new types of factions that will spawn near you and send you raids and whatnot. The "Misc" collection of mods is neat as well, gives some pretty interesting ruins on the map and allows you to construct robot haulers and some other stuff, I think. I haven't gotten incredibly deep into it yet.

This is probably the most impressive colony I put out, by my reckoning. You can see some progress shots of three of my former colonies by clicking this link, if you'd like.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2016, 09:41:59 am by Rysworld »

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2016, 09:47:35 am »
I was suprised not to see a topic on th forum yet for this game.

I think this speaks to our general wariness of "early access" scams and the general ****tiness of many game developers and publishers.

Not saying they hate us, but it sure doesn't seem like a bunch of them like us outside of our ability to give them money for a product.

Offline Hydromancerx

• Master of Orion
  • Klaatu Barada Nikto!
    • View Profile
    • Sagan 4
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2016, 01:07:03 pm »
@Rysworld

My first couple tries I ended up dying when learning, but my current game has gone great. Though I had to reload some saves early on. I just like the layout so far. I will have to show you a more updated version with the city walls later. But basically I have been going medieval castle style. I started with the tribal start. Note I have been adding more and more mods as things have gone on. My plan is to move all the small huts out of the castle and around it like a medieval village. However I am very high tech now so its sort of a weird hybrid space medieval society now. Most low labor is done by bots now.

Note I realize that having underground bunkers has so many more advantages than the way i am playing but I really wanted to try a game in this style. I am also on the more easy setting with the more relaxed storyteller. So I get events but lots of time between them. Remember I am still learning the game so I did not want to go all hardcore yet. I am also in a coastal forest area with mild weather similar to where I live in RL. So we get mild seasons and year round farming.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2016, 01:11:58 pm by Hydromancerx »

Offline Legodragonxp

• Excitebike Gearhead
  • Now for some real user power...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2016, 11:14:39 am »
I watched a couple lets plays on it and it seems like fun, but the $30 tag on it has me on the bench (yeah, I'm cheap).

-Lego

Offline Hydromancerx

• Master of Orion
  • Klaatu Barada Nikto!
    • View Profile
    • Sagan 4
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2016, 12:16:13 pm »
I watched a couple lets plays on it and it seems like fun, but the $30 tag on it has me on the bench (yeah, I'm cheap).

-Lego

I understand. I was going to wait until Christmas for a sale before getting it, but someone gifted me it. And i am very glad they did. However my PZ modding has basically gone on hold since then.

Offline Hydromancerx

• Master of Orion
  • Klaatu Barada Nikto!
    • View Profile
    • Sagan 4
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2016, 02:21:22 am »

Here is the update I mentioned before. My Great Plasteel Walls.  ;D

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2016, 02:28:33 am »
Looks great!

Offline Rysworld

• Autoduel Mechanic
  • hhhhhhhh
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2016, 11:50:12 am »
Damn... you're certainly more structured than I am. I generally sort of try to follow mountain edges or, if I'm not in a mountain, natural paths to important things, and make building them up/mining them out look interesting. Somewhat relatedly I don't think I've ever finished a game of Rimworld.

It looks so efficient... but muh forts...

Offline Celdur

• R-Type Force Pod
  • :33
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2016, 12:29:00 pm »
So can someone sell me what this game does different/better than dwarf fortress?
I know it has an AI "storyteller" that basically just ramps up the bull**** until you die, but does it actually stand on its own other than that?

Quote from: Krakow sam
That quote is actualy very witty, Celdur. I suggest you use that in your signature.

Offline Rysworld

• Autoduel Mechanic
  • hhhhhhhh
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2016, 01:38:12 pm »
From what I know of Dwarf Fortress, which amounts to having read a few let's plays, it's essentially just a similar game in the genre but pared down a little and given some graphics to make it accessible.

The two major simplifications to my knowledge are:

World is not actually simulated outside your fort, storyteller just makes up events instead of there being a procedural world going on
No Z-levels, gameplay is entirely on one plane

Offline Hydromancerx

• Master of Orion
  • Klaatu Barada Nikto!
    • View Profile
    • Sagan 4
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2016, 12:29:19 pm »

Thanks guys! Here is the Church, Graveyard, Crypt and Crematorium. The Crypt has sarcophagus for all the founding members of the tribe. Note one has not died yet so she has one reserved fro her when she dies. All invader corpses get burned in the Crematorium while tribe members get burred in the cemetery. I plan to add some statues later when i have good artist. Also there is a window mod I am waiting on so I will put some windows in the church when that is updated to alpha 15. Inside the church is the bedroom for the cleric and an office for records (birth, death, wedding, etc). In front of the pews is the wedding spot where my villagers can have their weddings. While I have electrcity for the room and office I put out some ceremonial brazers to give it a more ancient feel.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2016, 12:31:37 pm by Hydromancerx »

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2016, 08:10:43 pm »
Secret arks are a feature. Noted.

Offline Hydromancerx

• Master of Orion
  • Klaatu Barada Nikto!
    • View Profile
    • Sagan 4
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2016, 05:40:57 pm »
Made a new meta-game if anyone wants to try it.

Shared Map RP Meta-Game
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=26312.msg266134