Author Topic: what did you do today  (Read 5142 times)

Offline Inkling

• S.T.U.N. Runner
  • Not a Squid.
    • View Profile
Re: what did you do today
« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2016, 12:02:39 am »
I never read the comics, but I read some of the wikipedia page, so I think it's a bit too sacrilegious for me.

I'm genuinely surprised that I haven't seen anyone getting mad at the show.  Either they haven't gotten to the crazy stuff yet, or there's just so much other stuff to get people worked up over right now that this one fell through the cracks.
Probably not a Goat, either.

Offline Tesla

• Street Fighter Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2016, 12:04:50 am »
I've read it too, but it was a long long while ago so I can't remember anything but the broad strokes. They've taken a lot of liberties with the story - for example in the graphic novel they go on their road trip almost immediately whereas in the show they're still in Jesse's home town (Tulip and Cassedy too) and many of the townspeople are being developed more. Arseface has also been made a citizen of the town.

There's none of the heaven stuff, which is unfortunate. A lot of the supernatural stuff has been very toned down. There are angels but they're just a couple of British dudes who can't die. We never actually see Genesis as anything more than something resembling a comet.

As ChiToes and I and pretty much everyone everywhere have said, it's moving very slowly. I'm at a loss as to why they haven't left the town yet.

That said, the show is still pretty good. It captures the themes and aesthetic of the comics well. The saint of killers story is very very slowly being dripfed in cold opens.

I guess we should make a thread...

Oh and here's a weird thing - Irish vampire Cassedy's Irish accent is just AWFUL, whereas the actress playing Tulip is Irish playing an American. Must be weird for her.
No way dude, you're trolling me.

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2016, 12:13:11 am »
I'm genuinely surprised that I haven't seen anyone getting mad at the show.

NO SERIOUSLY. THIS.

(turbo-spoilers ahead)

How are they going to deal with the part where half of one of the books is about a pedophile party? What about the Allfather of the Catholic Church being the living embodiment of gluttony and sloth, to the point where he eats his food, pukes it up, then eats some more and also eats some of the puke too because he saw some bits of cake. What about the descendants of the Messiah being kept in a room in some Church building, forced to inbreed literally since the death of Christ, so that a child of his bloodline will exist and oh by the way he's a total retard troglodyte. Or the part where Cassidy totally runs off with Tulip, drugs her, rapes her, and then proceeds to drug and rape her for months while they think Jessie is dead. Or, you know, the part where God is a total sociopath ******* and the primary antagonist. And Herr Starr? And Odin?? ****ING ODIN QUINCANNON?!?! OR ALL OF JESSIE'S PAST!?

*catching breath*

T-the part where Jessie (with The Voice) tells Arseface's Dad to "go **** himself", so the man cuts off his own dick and starts sodomizing himself before committing suicide.

Oh my god if they do even one of these things the fallout will be immaculate. I can't wait!

Are they showing Saint of Killers in the present in the cold opens? Or are they showing his origin? Both were in the comics, so they could do either or. Also, has Jessie gotten The Voice yet? Has Genesis (thing that gives Jessie the power of The Voice) even been mentioned? Maybe they are going to do a Dark Shadows-style bait and switch where they completely change the show after two seasons? That'd be sick!
« Last Edit: July 12, 2016, 12:23:59 am by PatMan33 »

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2016, 02:41:41 am »
**** you and your stupid prize. Congratulations.

Much obliged! *Peace among worlds hand gesture*
Sam is basically right, he's just cranky.

Offline Haseri

• Lode Runner
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2016, 03:11:04 am »
My brother updated my computer from Windows 7 32-bit to 64-bit. I can now play more games! Although I spent most of the afternoon getting everything back to the way I like it.

I work front of house in a theatre, evenings but the occasional matinees. I had a bit of a nervous breakdown on Saturday, so it was nice to have a couple of days of doing nothing. I mean, I don't really do anything all day anyway, but there wasn't a rush in the evening to catch a bus.

Offline Great Distance

• Gyruss Gyrusian
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 12, 2016, 03:21:55 am »
I am doing it again. Wasting my life on the internet.

Also wondering why is it that I have a job and still no money.

I really want to go outdoors and just enjoy the summer, but ugh, there is still so much to do.

Offline Tesla

• Street Fighter Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 12, 2016, 04:40:53 am »
Pat - to be honest I'd forgotten a lot of that. Looking forward to seeing if they do it.

And yeah, of course Jesse has the Word and Genesis has been named and explained (but just explained, there was no flashbacks or anything unfortunately). The Saint of Killers stuff is all flashback, he hasn't been connected to the present yet.

Odin Quincannon is essentially a main character and he's been portrayed quite accurately so far, except no mention of racism. No giant meat women yet either.

No "go **** yourself" moment but something very similar. A man is having trouble with his mother and Jesse tells him to "open his heart to her." It doesn't go well.
No way dude, you're trolling me.

Offline Slinky

• Mr. Do! Disciple
  • hey there
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 12, 2016, 09:08:52 am »
for the last few days i have not really done anything at all except eat and sleep. i did briefly draw and i also played god of war II for several hours to make a dent in my massive backlog

summer is basically do nothing depresso time this year because my girlfriend is out of state for the whole season and i still don't have a job although i have gotten some online art commissions

when i start technical college in september i imagine things will pick up a bit and then i'll have stories to tell

preacher sounds wayyy too ****ed up for me, like not for the faint of stomach and i am of the faint of stomach and heart as well, so i don't think i would read or watch it but i'm glad you guys seem to be enjoying it

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #23 on: July 12, 2016, 10:40:26 am »
Also wondering why is it that I have a job and still no money.

I think a lot of 20-somethings and 30-somethings right now are feeling this pinch all around the world. Guess that doesn't make it better. That's why we all gotta stick together! :U

Odin Quincannon is essentially a main character and he's been portrayed quite accurately so far, except no mention of racism. No giant meat women yet either.

Oh that's great! Can't wait for the bottom to fall out on him.

There's a segment involving some of Odin's KKK followers that is probably one of the best bits in the whole series. Odin has just finished going on some massive KKK rant and then leaves to go do something elsewhere. His two guards are now alone in this room and they have a heart-to-heart. Basically it goes like this (not pulling any punches with this description since it's The Preacher, so it has spoilers and is offensive):

"Man, that Odin... like, I get it, screw the niggers and this and that, but Odin... man, Odin really likes this stuff? Like, sure whatever, the message. But I don't actually hate the guy at the gas station or whatever, it's more about the companionship and brotherhood. Odin is all about hating black people, you ever notice that? A true believer. His commitment is intense."

Rolling on the floor with laughter. It's just so dumb.

Also I looked up his character. The guy they have playing him, I wasn't convinced. But seeing him in makeup and in costume? He's perfect. I will have to watch an episode to get a sample of his voice. This is Odin from the comics:

Aw I should probably watch this show. Getting hyped thinking about when The Grail shows up and Herr Starr and his waifu start doing their thing.

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 12, 2016, 03:41:35 pm »
Can't believe you're into all this weird stuff and then you won't read Homestuck :Y
Sam is basically right, he's just cranky.

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #25 on: July 12, 2016, 03:53:23 pm »
One doesn't simply read Homestuck.

It's a lifestyle choice.

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #26 on: July 12, 2016, 05:11:51 pm »
I feel the same way except I live in a swing state lol

Maybe I'll take the day off and go shoot guns at the range instead.

Offline Legodragonxp

• Excitebike Gearhead
  • Now for some real user power...
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 12, 2016, 07:03:22 pm »
Woke around 7:09 am (snooze button)
Went to the bathroom from 7:10am (walked slow) to bout 7:20. Addressed download issues while catching up on work.
Went to work, drove around construction in Minneapolis because I'm white and evil.
Got to work about 8:15
Stored .38 special Ruger LCR from belt holster and .357 magnum Ruger GP100 was left at home, DEFCON 2 today.
Fixed a 9 people's problems with computers, third of which were directly related to a checkbox.
Went home at about 4:00
Saw police on southbound lane while driving northbound withannoyed cop...lack of ambulance meant no shooting.
Got home
did some cleaning
hugged wife.
praised son for helping with cleaning
made dinner
steamed shrimp
drank vodka
more vodka
surfed internet
displayed obvious signs of being pro-gun in repsonse the modern media
we are out of ice cream
trained pig like dino and built a bridge in ARK... pain in the @$$
came here and posted.

-Lego

Offline Inkling

• S.T.U.N. Runner
  • Not a Squid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 12, 2016, 09:30:14 pm »
Half day at work, then met a friend for dinner and watched the replay of the Rifftrax MST3K reunion.  It was good, but nowhere near as good as the Christmas one.  And then I cruised the shopping center parking lot for pokeshops before coming back to the apartment.
Probably not a Goat, either.

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #29 on: July 12, 2016, 11:19:10 pm »
Cleaned the **** out of the kitchen over the last five hours. Just got home!

Gotta go back in in about six hours to knock out a few other things I want before I'm comfortable leaving the kitchen in the morning shift's hands. :U

Got a new idea for a thread.

That's all.