Author Topic: what did you do today  (Read 5082 times)

Offline Tesla

• Street Fighter Champion
    • View Profile
what did you do today
« on: July 11, 2016, 03:20:23 pm »
I have no idea what most of you do on a day to day basis, or what your lives are like at all.

Today I got up around 10.30. Monday is the day I get to go to work late. I watched Preacher and had a slice of pizza for breakfast and that was ok. I played a heck of a lot of Pokemon Go on the bus/walk to work. Arrived at work at 1.30. It's an unpaid internship in a game studio startup, where I do AI stuff. I have no idea what I'm doing most of the time and it often feels like I'm just seeing how long I can go without being discovered. And yes, I know that's a really common thing to feel.

Finished at 6, arrived home around 8. My little brother arrived home from Ghana and gave me a spoopy mask to ward off evil spirits. And then we ordered pizza and I'm just realising all I've eaten today is pizza.

And then tesla was sad because he has no laptop and can't play his vidya.

What you do? Even just a sentence or picture. I think it'd be cool to get this thread going on par with the gripe/personal triumph threads.

No way dude, you're trolling me.

Offline Ultimatum

• Wild Gunman Gangster
    • View Profile
Re: what did you do today
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2016, 03:24:07 pm »
I mowed the grass till it rained

Offline Rysworld

• Autoduel Mechanic
  • hhhhhhhh
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2016, 03:26:42 pm »
I don't do much throughout the day, really. I'm not taking Summer classes.

Offline Great Distance

• Gyruss Gyrusian
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2016, 03:39:02 pm »
Well, my new workplace just started summer vacation, so I was at the university all night. I'm working on a parametrically designed landscape. I've never done a lot of scripting, so it's interesting to see how this will work out.

I went to bed at 6 am after getting home, woke up around 11 am, and wasted time bumming around on Reddit, mostly reading about PokemonGo. :X Went back to the university much later than I'd like to admit, and did some more Grasshopper scripting. It's basically a visual scripting plugin for a 3D program. Really I just prefer making art and stuff, but I'm too far into this nonsense to back down.

Decided I have to go to bed early this time and get myself back into some semblance of a normal schedule, so I got back home closer to 10 in the evening, washed some dishes and debated here about PokemonGo. And whoops, now it's half past 1 am again! What the **** am I doing... I'm not particularly proud of admitting my schedule is ****ed up as soon as I don't have to wake up for work in the morning.

Offline sgore

• SunDog Pilot
  • Actually, Jeopardy is my second favorite game show
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2016, 03:41:46 pm »
My story begins upon a sunny morning.

The trumpeting of my ipad alarm began for the third time and, despite it being my day off, I could do nothing but concede.
After downloading a series of news stories to my device, I thrust myself up from my bedcovers and onto the carpet below.

Breakfast? A granola bar.

Destination? Home for the elderly.

Mission? Discuss current events.

Accomplished? Yes. We talked about the events in Louisiana, Minnesota, and Dallas, the 2016 race, and Pokemon Go.

Afterwards, I met my father for lunch at a Noodles and Company. I had curry. He had Whole Grain Tuscan Fresca.

Later I came home and updated my iOS software, and fell asleep in the middle of the process.
Then I messed around on Periscope for a while.
Then I finished reading a short story.

Later I shall go do stand-up at an open mic.
Perhaps it will be terrible?

We shall see.

What meme is relevant right now? Look, just imagine I'm riffing on that. Updating signatures is exhausting.

Sam:The Ploofy Master

Offline Tesla

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2016, 03:47:57 pm »
GD your day looks a lot like many of mine this year. Lots of late nights at university writing code, going home and staying up extremely late. Just like you! I just looked up Grasshopper, seems interesting. Do you use C#? Cause that's what I use at my work. :D

Sgore, why you going to a home for the elderly? Know someone there or just a fine upstanding gentle man? And were you upgrading to the iOS 10 beta? Cause I also just did that thing.

Offline Great Distance

• Gyruss Gyrusian
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2016, 03:54:20 pm »
Nah, I literally have no coding knowledge, and I'm just learning it as I go. Something like C# sure would be helpful though, as I know codes can be embedded into the Grasshopper script. I did start a Python course once, but at the time I didn't see the point, so I quit it. But I do have some minimal knowledge about coding now. There are a lot of great resources on the internet.

My field doesn't really require much computer savvy, but as I ended up teaching some IT courses at our university, this is the direction I have taken. Seems logical to expand upon that... though I am wondering what I have gotten myself into.

Offline Tesla

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2016, 03:58:07 pm »
Well if you ever want to talk about C# or Python let me know. (Two of my favourite languages)

Offline Tesla

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2016, 04:07:51 pm »
What do you think of preacher? It's... pretty slow, in my opinion. Looks good, though.

Offline eropS

• Out Run Speedster
  • That's right, I went there
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2016, 04:26:07 pm »
I wake up and get to work by around 9. Where varries depending on the client right now it's Microsoft location across lake Washington.

I then sit at my desk and am currently doing government regulation and compliance for bing and Microsoft ads. Basically I do access reviews and help set up/make sure controls around key processes are functioning/exist.

Then I drive home, feed my cats, shmoke, eat, maybe go to the Rec, sleep. Maybe get a couple hours in some game if it has my attention

I need to volunteer more ha
No, no, he did. In the everything else section, at least. Officially, this makes him king.

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2016, 04:48:06 pm »
Today I visited my grandma and mowed her lawn, got a wad of birthday money because grandma. Drove home, got a phone call from my grandma because we both forgot she was holding some mail for me, discovered said mail was a letter from the university to say I won the Anthropology dissertation prize (prize money: 100, kaching). Then I loaded up tabletop simulator and updated my netrunner decks to use cards from the latest cycle me, celdur and wizard have "unlocked" for ourselves. Then I played Rogue Trader via IRC as usual for a Monday. My Navigator and the Astropath went to investigate a ship in our crusade fleet which was giving off some weird psychic noise and found out it was infested with genestealers. Then I listened to the latest Hello Internet while playing Enter the Gungeon.
Sam is basically right, he's just cranky.

Offline Tesla

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2016, 05:06:45 pm »
Sam you made me think there was a new hello internet.

**** you and your stupid prize. Congratulations.

Offline Legodragonxp

• Excitebike Gearhead
  • Now for some real user power...
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2016, 07:19:17 pm »
Woke around 7 am.
Went to the bathroom from 7am to bout 7:20. Addressed download issues while catching up on work.
Went to work, drove around BLM protests in Minneapolis beucase I'm white and evil.
Got to work about 8:15
Stored .38 special Ruger LCR from belt holster and .357 magnum Ruger GP100 from between seats for a regular 8 hour work day
Fixed a half dozen people's problems with computers, half of which were directly related to a checkbox.
Went home at about 4:00
Saw minivan on southbound lane while driving northbound with crushed windshield... deer or person impact... not many deer on top of a bridge.
Got home
did some minor landscaping
hugged wife.
praised son for helping with landscaping
made dinner
pizza rolls and tuna sandwiches
drank vodka
more vodka
surfed internet
displayed obvious signs of bigotry in repsonse the modern media
had ice cream
trained Bronto in ARK... pain in the @$$
came here and posted.

-Lego

Offline Inkling

• S.T.U.N. Runner
  • Not a Squid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2016, 08:05:18 pm »
I usually have mondays off because my stupid job is only 28 hours a week.
Woke up late and had... let's be classy and call it brunch.
Fought with my computer for the internet connection being slow as hell, eventually got it working well enough to pay middle of the month bills.
Wasted time on the internet.
Got a phone call from my brother and caught up on stuff.  He and his wife might come up to visit for my birthday if I'm still in this town by then.
Went for a walk.  I used to go for walks a lot more often at my old apartment, it was in a much better area for it.  There were a few obvious pokemon go players, but mostly middle aged Indian couples.
Winner winner chicken dinner.
Waste more time on the internet.
Put in an application for a job I don't really want.
Laundry.
And I'll continue to waste time on the internet until bed.
Probably not a Goat, either.

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2016, 11:17:26 pm »
Woke up early.
****posted on the internet for a while.
Ate breakfast (WRONG ORDER PAT!!!)
Did some chores around the house so the lady doesn't have to deal with any stupid **** when she gets home.
Went to work and had a great time. Solved some problems and got to know one of the bosses a bit better. He was telling us his experiences working in the cinema 40 years ago and how things have changed. **** 40 years ago.
Came back and wrote that response in the OTT and now I'm here!

Pretty normal day, I don't do a ton, honestly. Hoping to get back to the range soon, I've got a lot of rust on me. Not even sure I can do 100 yards without a scope at the moment. And I want desperately to get back into photography, but I don't have a good camera anymore. My film equipment is excellent and to be in the darkroom again would be a dream come true, but there aren't any of those for miles. I miss the darkroom. Photography is the reason I graduated high school.

Tomorrow is slower. Almost a day off, but I have a 9PM - 1AM shift tomorrow night to tear down the ovens and fryer and give them a good clean, which I do weekly. It's very fun and relaxing. Depending on the money situation I may go see my buddy back home before work during the day.

Onto what matters: Preacher

I've read the comics. They are excellent and scary and crazy and awesome. Very visceral and some of the panels actually made me gasp or look away.

How is the show? I don't watch TV. I can't fathom how they're going to make Preacher work on anything other than HBO. And even then, Preacher makes Game of Thrones look like a kid's show at some points. Is it good? Have you guys read the comics? How do they compare? And how the hell are they doing it exactly without getting their channel taken off the air?