Author Topic: Overwatch  (Read 3679 times)

Offline Brandonazz

• Baseball SuperStar
  • Hoc etiam transibit
    • View Profile
    • My Internet Treasure Trove
Re: Overwatch
« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2016, 11:06:03 am »
I played a few hours of the game when it was free to play for that handful of days.

If I had the extra money I'd buy it in a heartbeat. The gameplay feels so clean and polished and the art style is like the evolution of TF2's.

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2016, 11:53:56 am »
Can you elaborate a bit more, Celdur? I hear this complaint leveled at TF2 a lot and absolutely do not understand it.

I dunno, I stopped playing tf2 only because it turned to absolute ****, not because I got burned out.

Why is the game bad though? I have a hard time understanding why people complain as much as they do about TF2. The gameplay is still super fun and the community is very active. You don't need the added drops but they are nice. Because a lot of the complaints I hear seem to be summed up with "they added hats I don't like 0/10 pirate it." Has the gameplay changed? Absolutely. But none of it is bad. I mean by that logic, my facetious complaints about how Valve removed grenades and poisoning should be deal breakers. Big deal, two mechanics I really like are gone but the package is still great so I won't cut off my nose to spite my face.

Another one I hear a lot is something like... "the game isn't what it used to be." But I disagree. The game has not changed so much that it is unrecognizable. At least not the core game of CtF, CP, and KotH. MvM is definitely different but that's a whole other mode. Maybe you changed? And that's fine too, but don't trash the game if that's the case. I dunno... a lot of the complaining, to me, sounds like the caricature of an argument rather than the genuine article. Or at least is misguided.

Then again, I'm weird.

Offline Inkling

• S.T.U.N. Runner
  • Not a Squid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2016, 12:04:46 pm »
Free to play is the only way I'd get around to playing it in the near future.  And I'm wary of signing up to Blizzard's system.
Probably not a Goat, either.

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #18 on: May 28, 2016, 12:15:19 pm »
And I'm wary of signing up to Blizzard's system.

Ten thousand times this.

The only time I've ever had an account compromised was my old BattleNet account three or four weeks after I started playing WoW. Then I come to find out that this is pretty standard procedure for Blizzard accounts in the modern era and haven't played a Blizzard game since. Being told how great customer service is and how fast they'll fix it didn't exactly help. Sounds like they have a lot of practice dealing with a broken-ass account system that is cheaper to leave broken than to fix. (completely ignorant, unqualified statement here)

Will get Star Craft II when I can buy the complete set though. Not a moment sooner.

Offline eropS

• Out Run Speedster
  • That's right, I went there
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 28, 2016, 06:28:21 pm »
Eh, mine got hacked years ago, changed my name to KOQ#1607, I like it. It's no big deal, if you use the authenticator you're pretty much set i think, I don't because i don't really care, I just don't keep cards attached to my account.

I think the game is solid all around, gunplay is fun, abilities are fun, leveling and loot boxes is useless but if you get coins or a skin that's fun. Idk, it works I think, it's polished, colorful, fun. Great to try and get in to if you're a fan of the arena shooter stuff. I expect some bull**** strats to surface soon since there's some bull**** characters, but so far nothing too egregious.  Definitely better with friends.
No, no, he did. In the everything else section, at least. Officially, this makes him king.

Offline martyk

• Simon Belmont
  • Never underestimate the power of dolphin!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 28, 2016, 08:31:25 pm »
Really wasn't particularly excited about the game when it was announced.  I figured it'd probably be decent, but not really something I'd get into.

When the open beta opened up I figured I'd try it out with some buddies just to see what it's like.  Preordered it that night.

It's a really solid game.  You can definitely see the time they put into it.  Pretty well balanced with a lot of interesting heroes but most of all it just feels good.  Everything you pull off in this game feels really satisfying.  One thing that always gets my attention though is the level of detail in the levels.  Really shows the amount of heart that went into putting them together.
Quote from: Doctor Zay
Martyk is a handsome fish.
Quote from: Brandonazz
This dolphin is delicious.
<Sgore> Martyk, mentally I always picture you as like, our forums bartender.
<Neoadept> I've always pictured you trapped in a tuna net

Offline eropS

• Out Run Speedster
  • That's right, I went there
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 28, 2016, 08:42:19 pm »
Yeah it feels like each level could be a Disneyland ride with the amount of color and detail they have going on
No, no, he did. In the everything else section, at least. Officially, this makes him king.

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #22 on: May 28, 2016, 09:21:06 pm »
Maybe someday.

Right now it has two massive negatives against it: I don't trust Blizzard and I don't want another FPS. I'll show myself out of the topic now since there probably isn't much more I can add.

Offline martyk

• Simon Belmont
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 28, 2016, 10:02:15 pm »
Maybe someday.

Right now it has two massive negatives against it: I don't trust Blizzard and I don't want another FPS. I'll show myself out of the topic now since there probably isn't much more I can add.

If it helps at all Pat, those two reasons were why I didn't bother looking into Overwatch earlier, and I was pleasantly surprised to be proven wrong.

Offline martyk

• Simon Belmont
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 28, 2016, 10:11:39 pm »
Also,

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #25 on: May 28, 2016, 10:58:16 pm »
Maybe someday.

If it helps at all Pat, those two reasons were why I didn't bother looking into Overwatch earlier, and I was pleasantly surprised to be proven wrong.

I'm sure it is a fine game. Blizzard has a Nintendo level of polish with a lot of their stuff, which I respect.

But I'm just not on the Blizzard train. Honestly if I hadn't had that bad experience with BattleNet I'd probably be much more willing to try any of their products. I spent years playing Star Craft and Diablo and had fun! But security and my personal privacy really matter to me. It's a big deal in my world. And I can't let it slide. I was warned about BattleNet not being safe anymore but reassured by Blizzard fans. So I took a chance and put my foot out the door and almost immediately got burned. Heck, even if I could just play these games without needing their stupid login and whatnot. But the broken, untrustworthy account system is part and parcel of all of their games.

There are plenty of other games for me to play and I'm sure they won't miss my money. I'll consider buying Star Craft II when it is all complete. All I want to do is play the Protoss campaign, I don't care about multiplayer. But of course that one is coming out last. Lucky for me I'm a stubborn ass and will just wait it out until the Star Craft II Battlechest comes along.

And then hopefully there will be a crack or something so I can play offline without BattleNet.

Offline Brandonazz

• Baseball SuperStar
  • Hoc etiam transibit
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 29, 2016, 02:47:58 am »
he only time I've ever had an account compromised was my old BattleNet account three or four weeks after I started playing WoW.

Ditto, but it was after I stopped playing. Someone was using it to launder gold or something.

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #27 on: May 29, 2016, 08:37:36 am »
That was the thing. I stopped playing it for like a week and then I get an email that my account (which I had had for YEARS) was banned. At this point it is permanently banned despite continuously changing passwords and then just abandoning it outright. And I had games on that account as well. My Diablo and Star Craft keys were registered on there. Thankfully I still have the CDs and they still work because it is from a world before our "always online" hellscape of a reality.

I was reading on /v/ that they are banning people for "offensive" speech on Overwatch? Has it really come to this? Or are the tards overreacting?
« Last Edit: May 29, 2016, 08:40:50 am by PatMan33 »

Offline Brandonazz

• Baseball SuperStar
  • Hoc etiam transibit
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 29, 2016, 12:43:43 pm »
Banning from Overwatch or like the old blanket ban?

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #29 on: May 29, 2016, 01:03:05 pm »
They were saying it was a ban from Overwatch. But it is /v/ so you never know.

I also heard there was a lack of people willing to play healers or support. That's my bread and butter. Do we need healers?