Author Topic: Street Fighter V  (Read 1889 times)

Offline dndfreak

• 1942 Veteran
  • The GM
    • View Profile
    • PathLosers
Street Fighter V
« on: February 14, 2016, 09:13:31 pm »
I just picked up this one for $45 from GmG, downloading the beta now. Steam also gave me three SFV beta invites, so if you wanted to get you hands on one for the day and a half left until launch, let me know.

Offline dndfreak

• 1942 Veteran
  • The GM
    • View Profile
    • PathLosers
Re: Street Fighter V
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2016, 01:12:55 am »
So launch happened, their servers crashed two minutes in (as expected). Good times.

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2016, 06:12:54 am »
But it's a fighting game!

Offline /lurk

• Dragon Warrior Slime
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2016, 07:05:26 am »
So launch happened, their servers crashed two minutes in (as expected). Good times.
So they launch the game without
  • arcade mode
  • character trials
  • vs. CPU mode
  • multiplayer lobbies
  • buttslaps
and the game crashes anyway.

To think I was once looking forward to this cluster****. At least Pokken Tournament comes out soon :^)
Not a winner anymore.

Offline Inkling

• S.T.U.N. Runner
  • Not a Squid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2016, 08:10:00 am »
Wait, so what was in the game at launch?
Probably not a Goat, either.

Offline eropS

• Out Run Speedster
  • That's right, I went there
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2016, 08:53:27 am »
Fighters and matchmaking I think

Pretty lame
No, no, he did. In the everything else section, at least. Officially, this makes him king.

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2016, 09:01:02 am »

Offline /lurk

• Dragon Warrior Slime
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2016, 09:23:47 am »
Wait, so what was in the game at launch?
1v1 online and "Story Mode but not the real story mode actually that's supposed to come out this summer".
Not a winner anymore.

Offline Inkling

• S.T.U.N. Runner
  • Not a Squid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2016, 09:45:25 am »
So 45 bucks for a beta, or are they going to charge more for all of those missing pieces?

Offline eropS

• Out Run Speedster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2016, 10:44:52 am »
Which missing pieces?

Cause fighters ain't free iirc. Well they are, if you grind the capcom funbucks
No, no, he did. In the everything else section, at least. Officially, this makes him king.

Offline dndfreak

• 1942 Veteran
  • The GM
    • View Profile
    • PathLosers
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2016, 12:47:53 pm »
No, it doesn't just have multiplayer and the little story mode. It has survival mode, in four different degrees of difficulty per character, with a unique mechanic. There's no automatic healing per character, but after each bout, a random selection of purchasable buffs pop up, including one healing item, which you use your current score to pay for. Surviving to the end (10, 30, 50, or 100 rounds) is the ultimate goal, but even if you want to just end up with 0 score and keep your health maxed up from battle to battle, you typically earn around 9k per fight and a full hp recovery runs for 25k, so the idea is using smaller buff purchases to keep your health bar going as long as possible before needing the heal, and gambling on how much damage you'll take in the next run and whether a strong heal will be up for purchase afterward.

Also it DOES have offline multi as well, not just online 1v1, as well as lobby play and all that jazz. I agree the lack of 1p vs or a normal arcade mode seems strange, but for now, the Survival mode is fine.

The reason I decided to go into SFV is that supposedly the plan from Capcom this time around is to just do the DLC thing as opposed to past games in the franchise which force you to buy the whole game over again five or six times whenever there's a patch.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2016, 12:50:08 pm by dndfreak »

Offline eropS

• Out Run Speedster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2016, 01:44:31 pm »
You mean there won't be a Street Fighter 5 Ultimate Platnium Blackbelt addition?

Offline Inkling

• S.T.U.N. Runner
  • Not a Squid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2016, 03:01:28 pm »
So what I'm gathering from this is that I wouldn't get the game even if I had the money or interest.

Tell me more about having to buy the game again to get a patch.  That sounds hilariously evil and so much worse than dlc.

Offline dndfreak

• 1942 Veteran
  • The GM
    • View Profile
    • PathLosers
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2016, 04:18:10 pm »
Well Street Fighter traditionally is an arcade cabinet thing, from the days long before patching (and updating cabinets is a very recent development). The reason why Street Fighter games have all these new editions for 'Alpha' and 'Turbo' and 'Alpha Turbo Ultra Max HD Arcade Edition' slapped on the end is because they needed to differentiate one cabinet version from another when making balance tweaks and adding characters. Capcom was making patches for SFII back in the early 90's and SFIII by 2000, when the current consoles didn't have internet access patches for console games didn't exist. The only way to do it was by selling a new line of discs every time.

SFIV came out, eventually on PCs and modern hardware capable of patching, nine years after SFIII. Capcom did make minor patches, but SFIV was still primarily about the arcade cabinet brand at home in Japan. they still needed to patch consoles by releasing new hardware, so in order to maintain the brand recognition strength and protect arcade revenue, SFIV followed the same setup as the previous numbered title.

The difference is with SFV is that 1. the arcade market now has updatable cabinets, 2. home consoles are more sophisticated and releasing updates on them is far easier, and 3. the esport thing happened and Capcom wants to get in on that pie.

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2016, 07:31:03 am »
You mean there won't be a Street Fighter 5 Ultimate Platnium Blackbelt addition?