Author Topic: Hentai Club  (Read 5258 times)

Offline Slinky

• Mr. Do! Disciple
  • hey there
    • View Profile
Hentai Club
« on: February 08, 2016, 01:06:59 am »
So obviously none of us are completely mild-mannered and boring, but obviously it's not acceptable to be an incredibly edgy douchebag all the time so if you are an edgy douche internally then you sort of have to keep it to yourself. In this thread you can blow of some edgy steam if you want and it's okay. So I'll start.

How about that late stage capitalism huh? All these Super Bowl ads are kinda crazy, they don't even sell products anymore, they just kinda randomly touch upon some things that are culturally significant like emojis or something and then say "buy this". Kinda weird right? Like what's going on with advertising? What's going on with all these reboots and stuff too, why is advertising really focusing heavily on "nostalgia" and stuff? Is the current generation really into regressing into like, childhood things? There's a graphic design trend recently of making everything bright, colorful, and simplistic. It sure does look nice, but again it seems like the kind of thing that appeals to little kids. Does it have to do with the rising rates of mental illness? Do people just need to be a little more childlike to cope?

Is advertising just being distilled down into appealing shapes, colors, and sounds, coupled with familiar ideas and concepts, in order to create a positive association in our brain with the product being sold? Is that what advertising has always been?

lmao weird marketing dystopia, discuss (or discuss your other edgy, anti-establishment ideas)
« Last Edit: February 12, 2016, 01:03:42 am by Slinky »

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
Re: Edgy thread
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2016, 02:49:41 am »
Not edgy enough man.

*cracks knuckles*

Why do people get so upset when celebrities die??? It's not like any of us personally knew them. :Y

Yeah the advertising thing is really weird. A hundred years ago ads just boiled down to "Buy this product, it is good", but in the 60s Don Draper discovered being sexy and it changed the world of marketing forever.
Sam is basically right, he's just cranky.

Offline Slinky

• Mr. Do! Disciple
  • hey there
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2016, 02:53:59 am »
What's the point of those videos that make you feel bad because animals feel things and we still kill and eat them? There are only two possible outcomes which are a) you feel guilty and sad for eating something good, which achieves nothing, and b) you go fully vegan and become malnourished because humans are omnivores, unless you decide to take a bunch of supplements which is actually less natural than just eating animals in the first place. All it is is just turning a sad idea into like, sad-entertainment. It's a gawker thing or something. People like to be made to feel bad about stuff. That being said of course it's ****ed up that megafarms stuff chickens into tiny cages and they **** on each other and never move until they die and calves only have two good legs because they can't walk but that's a different animal (huehuehue) entirely

Also people get sad when celebrities die because celebrities were part of their world, and they constantly heard about them and now they're dead, so it feels like something is missing and it's not actual grief but people just treat it like it's grief? I dunno.

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2016, 02:58:26 am »
One possible outcome is that everyone eats *less* meat, thus making these megafarms an unprofitable and necessary venture and agriculture gets scaled back a bit to a point where animals didn't suffer so much? But I agree guilt tripping people is pretty much alwaysia dreadful tactic since it's preaching to the converted and just serves to harden the opinions of people who don't agree.

It's very similar to the activists who want to stop violence against women and their strategy to accomplish this is to imply all men are rapists or complicit in women getting raped due to inaction.

Offline Slinky

• Mr. Do! Disciple
  • hey there
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2016, 03:23:03 am »
I was told once that all men were potential rapists and it actually seemed really true the more I observed the world around me; turns out I was just hanging out with teenage boys.

anyway stop post-raping me sam. you're part of the problem

Have you noticed recently that people have started marketing "stylish" MACE spray and tasers? Like they're small, discreet, come in several tasteful colors (or hot pink). Seems weird to turn "safety in a seedy part of town" into a marketable, designable fashion product. LATE CAPITALISM DUDE

it's like the world is a parody of itself

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2016, 03:39:46 am »
Apparently despite more attention being called to these issues and increasing backlash the amount of unnecessarily gendered products for adults and kids is actually increasing, because having multiple versions of the same product drives up sales.

Offline Tesla

• Street Fighter Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2016, 04:30:57 am »
I think you can just as easily make the argument that advertising and things like that are becoming increasingly subtle and nuanced. There's at least some evidence that every generation is more capable of abstract reasoning and metaphor than that before. Google 'flynn effect' - but obviously take it with a grain of salt. I've seen a few propositions for why this effect might be the case - from the boring and obvious (better nutrition, education standards) to the interesting and subtle (a sort of complexity snowball effect, every generation is being raised in and then creating a progressively more complicated and intellectually stimulating environment).

Think of movie trailers - they used to be so much more straightforward and declarative than they are now. Sure, movie trailers today are formulaic, but a lot of the "formulae" require a complex and deep understanding of cultural context, something which most of us take entirely for granted or are not even aware of. Even just a few decades ago, they'd simply spell out the plot and tell you which characters to like.  Design trends, musical trends, etc, are being iterated upon and exhausted extremely fast these days. We talk about 'inverting' tropes which were only introduced half a decade ago. I think this is also the reason why people have a hard time associating this or the last decade with some signature style of music or dress.

Even your suggestion that advertising is "being distilled down into appealing shapes, colors, and sounds" seems to be an indication more of a growing overall complexity than anything else. A working symbolic design language in advertising means two things - a greater ability to infer meaning from that sort of thing in the general populace, and a greater ability for marketers to unravel and manipulate the inner workings of the human psyche.

I think "the rising rates of mental illness" as you say, is just a rising rate of diagnosis of mental illness. I don't think we're all going cuckoo or something.

Also I have a problem with the phrase "late stage capitalism" as if you think capitalism is going away any time soon. :U

Basically what I'm saying is that most of this stuff is getting better, not worse. People are smarter and more tolerant now than any other time in history, in the grand scheme of things this is a time of astounding peace and prosperity. The point is, I've found a way to be too edgy even for the edgy thread.

Now shut up and worry about climate change!
« Last Edit: February 08, 2016, 04:34:11 am by Sugarplum Tesla »
No way dude, you're trolling me.

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2016, 04:39:23 am »
Tesla promoting the gay agenda to keep us heteros asleep and unaware so his homo brothers can take the reigns of society and destroy us all.

Don't listen to his lies, we're all getting much dumber, not smarter.

Offline Tesla

• Street Fighter Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2016, 04:41:15 am »
i think maybe it's just you getting dumber
No way dude, you're trolling me.

Offline /lurk

• Dragon Warrior Slime
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2016, 05:24:58 am »
Think of movie trailers - they used to be so much more straightforward and declarative than they are now. Sure, movie trailers today are formulaic, but a lot of the "formulae" require a complex and deep understanding of cultural context, something which most of us take entirely for granted or are not even aware of. Even just a few decades ago, they'd simply spell out the plot and tell you which characters to like.  Design trends, musical trends, etc, are being iterated upon and exhausted extremely fast these days. We talk about 'inverting' tropes which were only introduced half a decade ago. I think this is also the reason why people have a hard time associating this or the last decade with some signature style of music or dress.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pc71YvWG0GQ" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pc71YvWG0GQ</a>

For a movie trailer to "just spell out the plot", it would require the movie to actually HAVE a plot.

Movies these days are all just about the colour balance.
Not a winner anymore.

Offline Slinky

• Mr. Do! Disciple
  • hey there
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2016, 07:59:14 am »
I think "the rising rates of mental illness" as you say, is just a rising rate of diagnosis of mental illness. I don't think we're all going cuckoo or something.

Also I have a problem with the phrase "late stage capitalism" as if you think capitalism is going away any time soon. :U

Basically what I'm saying is that most of this stuff is getting better, not worse. People are smarter and more tolerant now than any other time in history, in the grand scheme of things this is a time of astounding peace and prosperity. The point is, I've found a way to be too edgy even for the edgy thread.

I understand about the rising diagnosis rate thing, but people are also under a lot of stress these days. I understand that, say, people in impoverished wartorn countries or ancient hunter-gatherer tribes were under significantly more stress, but it seems like the combination of stress to cause brain damage and stagnation and comfort to let it fester is a prime breeding ground for this stuff. I don't have anything to back that up though, just an idea. I do know that almost everyone my age I know has some kind of mental illness, and I don't mean like stupid self-diagnosis either - I know a lot of people who are really, actually disabled by some kind of condition. Maybe it's always been that way, I haven't been alive long enough to know.

Also as far as I understand late stage capitalism doesn't mean "end stage", it just means it's the indefinite maturity stage of capitalism where everything grows inward and becomes more complex and subtle and absurd. Again, I'm not sure, but I think that's what it means.

Also you know the world is ****ed when being an optimist is considered edgy. There, I've just out-edged you.

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2016, 09:03:36 am »
I don't think there is some grand Muslim conspiracy where they secretly want to take over the world, but I think Muslims need to get their act together and start policing their ranks. It's your ****ing problem, too. Eventually you're going to have to make a choice between your religion and a modern, progressive society just like the other major religions had to in their past. Neuter it and join the rest of humanity as we try to push into the future.

Offline Inkling

• S.T.U.N. Runner
  • Not a Squid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2016, 11:02:12 am »
I just want to know who greenlit that puppy monkey baby abomination and if they've been fired yet.

Oh wait, edgy.  Um...

I'd have them all shot. I would take them outside and execute them in front of their families.
Probably not a Goat, either.

Offline Slinky

• Mr. Do! Disciple
  • hey there
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2016, 11:05:02 am »
I just want to know who greenlit that puppy monkey baby abomination and if they've been fired yet.

Oh wait, edgy.  Um...

I'd have them all shot. I would take them outside and execute them in front of their families.

Nah that's just mean. The kind of edgy I'm talking about is where you think you're in They Live and you have the sunglasses and can see all the billboards and no one else can.

Offline Inkling

• S.T.U.N. Runner
  • Not a Squid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2016, 11:18:21 am »
Probably not a Goat, either.