0 (0%)
Gamecube
5 (19.2%)
PC
14 (53.8%)
Xbox360
3 (11.5%)

Total Members Voted: 26

Author Topic: PS2 vs Xbox vs Gamecube vs Xbox360 vs PC  (Read 4544 times)

Offline Sub

• Time Pilot Trekker
  • End is tough.
    • View Profile
PS2 vs Xbox vs Gamecube vs Xbox360 vs PC
« on: December 30, 2005, 03:05:08 pm »
I don't think this has been done on these forums and if it has, I haven't seen the thread. 

With that said, whats your favorite system to play games on? 

My vote goes to the PC.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2005, 03:07:27 pm by Sub »

Offline Piloteer

• Ensign Seventh Class
  • We're going to hit the mountain!
    • View Profile
Re: PS2 vs Xbox vs Gamecube vs Xbox360 vs PC
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2005, 03:31:58 pm »
Thats a tough choice. Overall, I think (for me) the PS2 is the best system. Though the Gamecube has some pretty awesome games too. I wish I could vote twice!

Offline Cool AN

• Mansion Maniac
  • Life is worth much more than gold
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2005, 04:54:32 pm »
I love PC gaming, and while I am leaning more and more towards console and handheld gaming (though there are many reasons for this), I still always will remain faithfull to the PC.

Quote from: /lurk
PALM: Oh face, come closer. I've needed your touch since I heard that fundamentalist Christians were being stupid again.
FACE: Not again! Quickly Palm, come to me!

Offline Cobra

• All Your Base Zero Wing
  • People want ducks.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2005, 08:24:20 pm »
I only just got my gamecube so i don't have alot of games (only 1 plus what i borrow from my friend) if I can come into some money I'm going to go on a 2nd hand game hunt and pick up some gold.

Offline MetallicDragon

• Apprentice Enchanter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2005, 10:16:53 pm »
The only plusses I see for consoles:
-Better graphics for cheaper
-Better controls for certain games.

Edit: Oh, and virtually no errors of any kind!

Offline Gauphastus

• Ice Climber
  • Hey, man.
    • View Profile
    • Gauphastumblr
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2005, 10:40:59 pm »
I gotta go with PS2. There are more games, so the chances that you will find a genuinely satisfying game is low.
The good news: I found like 10.
XBox and Gamecube offered me little to nothing.
XBox 360 is gonna have to hold until it has more than one game that I want -- and at the moment, it doesn't even have one.

I'm tired of upgrading for every new PC game that comes out. If I don't need more RAM or a slightly better graphics card compatible with some new fangled techno BS (of which only like two games will ever use), I'll need a complete overhaul because the game doesn't like my CD drive... or requires the remaining few gigabytes on my harddrive.
Bleh.
Sure, multiplayer is alright, but then you're dealing in internet as well... whole new batch of issues right there.

Still, PS2 and PC are awfully close for me.
"Ma all the gods of furious strong be with you as you crunch opposents, and live like a windrammer as you f**k."
       ~Ricky Wangstrom

Offline shikaeshi

• Atari Combat Vet
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2005, 02:20:32 am »
At first glance, the answer is easily the PS2.    I have ~ 30 PS1 games and ~15 PS2 games.   The PS2 allows me to play all of them (and any future PS2 games)  without any tweaking or worries about drivers or video cards (Civ IV, I'm looking at you).   However a strong case can be made for the PC.  In addition to playing PC games,  I  can emulate a torrent of games from the PS1, SNES, GBA, NES, and other older consoles.  Also with my laptop I can take my gaming with me.   ;D  It was a close vote for me too but the PS2 won because of the big screen TV factor   :D

Offline Cool AN

• Mansion Maniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2005, 05:14:22 am »

I'm tired of upgrading for every new PC game that comes out. If I don't need more RAM or a slightly better graphics card compatible with some new fangled techno BS (of which only like two games will ever use), I'll need a complete overhaul because the game doesn't like my CD drive... or requires the remaining few gigabytes on my harddrive.
Bleh.
Sure, multiplayer is alright, but then you're dealing in internet as well... whole new batch of issues right there.

You don't need to upgrade your PC for every new game, I haven't upgraded my computer since I got it over 1 year and 9 months ago, and it wasn't all that high end when I got it. And it can still play all games that come out, sure it can't play them all on very high but that isn't really that big of a problem. Besides if you are still using a CD drive then it is your own fault, and it is people like you who make publishers still use CD's instead of the much Superior DVD.

PALM: Oh face, come closer. I've needed your touch since I heard that fundamentalist Christians were being stupid again.

Offline LadyM

• Mortal Kombat Konqueror
  • I'm not confused anymore
    • View Profile
    • LadyMpire
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2005, 10:19:54 am »
I voted for PC gaming because I have recently been playing more PC games than console games. It's a recently discovered thing  :) Mostly I have played Gamecube in the past and some XBox. But I honestly haven't played a console game in months.

Offline Silver_Kiwi

• Pac-Man Maniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2005, 02:13:37 pm »
PC is something you can always go back to when the new console games are less than spectacular.
Plus you can mod games on PC. Half life 2 is great, but all the mods that are comming out for it make it an awesome way to stretch my money!
Silver_Kiwi

Offline Genusaus

• Dragster Diehard
  • "She Who Thirsts"
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2005, 04:09:41 pm »
Hah! My video card is three(or is it 2..) years old and it can play Quake 4 on high with no noticeable lag! I like the PC more uses and yeah.. online play for (Well, excluding Internet charges, but most games don't charge internet just internet charges internet)free, and you already have a keyboard to type. You know I kinda feel like buying a 360 take out it's video cards and put in my computer haha!
The power of purple! The Hundred Years War, which was won by the French started on the year of 1337.

Offline Sub

• Time Pilot Trekker
  • End is tough.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2005, 10:03:36 pm »
Hah! My video card is three(or is it 2..) years old and it can play Quake 4 on high with no noticeable lag! I like the PC more uses and yeah.. online play for (Well, excluding Internet charges, but most games don't charge internet just internet charges internet)free, and you already have a keyboard to type. You know I kinda feel like buying a 360 take out it's video cards and put in my computer haha!

That would work?

Offline Gauphastus

• Ice Climber
  • Hey, man.
    • View Profile
    • Gauphastumblr
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2005, 11:09:52 pm »
You don't need to upgrade your PC for every new game, I haven't upgraded my computer since I got it over 1 year and 9 months ago, and it wasn't all that high end when I got it. And it can still play all games that come out, sure it can't play them all on very high but that isn't really that big of a problem. Besides if you are still using a CD drive then it is your own fault, and it is people like you who make publishers still use CD's instead of the much Superior DVD.

Actually, I got this thing brand new only three years ago. It worked well for many games. I concede that even today, many games work just fine; if I'm lucky, I'll be able to run them well on partially high detail.
Of course, then I go from something like Empire Earth I to Empire Earth II. Huge slowdown and resource hogging for what appears to be little reason, even with all the fancy stuff turned off.
Battlefield II doesn't run without random crashing.
World of Warcraft has some issues where every texture surface will turn orange, or NPCs will be invisible for extended periods of time.
It's my RAM or maybe my graphics card, I know.
It's just a bunch of minor issues that bother me, whereas the PS2 has only ever given me one error where it could not read the CD.

And to clarify about the CD issue, it really had nothing to do with CDs versus DVDs; I just had this one game, I belive it was The Matrix Online but I could be mistaken -- it was giving me errors about not having the right CD inserted. I looked up the error, and it turns out they had some rare issue with certain CD drives causing people problems.
It sounded ridiculous to me, but I waited on it.
Since I got to play eventually, I assume they fixed it in an update. I'm not sure what exactly the problem was.
But anyway, that was just a passive note. The main issue I point out for PC gamers is that there are a few games that come out, big and small, but they sometimes cause so many more problems than they're worth.
I know it sounded like an exaggeration when I say I need to upgrade every time I buy a new game; seeing as I only get the next big game on the PC every time one comes out, every once in a while, that's simply how it seems to me. It's like travelling forward in time and expecting everything to be the same, to still cater to you. It seems silly, but... oh well. It's still a bother.

A final note, I don't -make- publishers do anything. You got the wrong guy.
I just use the CD drive I was supplied and since publishers have been making games, by their own volition, on CD, I don't see the need to spend money I use for games to switch it up. Though, I do have a slot here where I possibly could put in a DVD drive...
If you want to use a DVD drive, that's fine by me. No need to try to pin some weird blame on me when I'm just on here jabbering about my personal experiences with PC games. ???

-----

But to have a relevant note, I'm still torn between PS2 and PC.
I lean toward PS2 because it has some favorites: Kingdom Hearts, Grand Theft Auto, Dark Cloud, Devil May Cry, and more.
What does the PC have? I usually get more open-ended games like The Sims, Simcity, Civilization, Age of Empires, Gothic, etc.

On one hand, you've got games on consoles that are more story-driven.
On the other you have more and more PC games made for the player to come up with their own stories.
Which is more satisfying in the end: reading a book, or writing one?
If Spore proves that it can do what it claims, I'm fairly certain I'll be over on the PC's side, probably for life. ;)

PS
REALLY LATE EDIT: I know this is way old but I just realized I hadn't mentioned -- I do have a DVD drive.
I just tend to buy CDs if that's the only thing they have in stock at the time, which is usually the case.
Most times, I rarely see the DVD copies of games. Only ones I've seen have been for The Sims 2 and a small few other games I didn't care enough about to remember. Feel free to point fingers at Future Shop for being crap. I don't mind.
So, I guess what I'm saying is... well, get bent. ;D
Retroactive quasi-flame for the win!
« Last Edit: February 18, 2006, 11:44:31 pm by Gauphastus »
"Ma all the gods of furious strong be with you as you crunch opposents, and live like a windrammer as you f**k."
       ~Ricky Wangstrom

Offline Cool AN

• Mansion Maniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2006, 03:49:09 am »
Battlefield II doesn't run without random crashing.

Battlefield 2 does that on even high end PC's.

A final note, I don't -make- publishers do anything. You got the wrong guy.
I just use the CD drive I was supplied and since publishers have been making games, by their own volition, on CD, I don't see the need to spend money I use for games to switch it up. Though, I do have a slot here where I possibly could put in a DVD drive...
If you want to use a DVD drive, that's fine by me. No need to try to pin some weird blame on me when I'm just on here jabbering about my personal experiences with PC games.  ???

DVD's are vastly superior to CD's, and yet many publishers continue to make +3GB on four CD's. Why? The only reason I can see is that there are still a very small percentage, of the PC gaming market that still use CD's instead of DVD's, and therefor publishers have to use CD's so they can sell their games to them. Now I could understand if it was a very minor difference in performance, but it isn't. DVD's make the installation faster, it saves space, and your are aren't screwed if you lost one CD (if you lost the DVD you were though).
« Last Edit: January 01, 2006, 04:09:35 am by Cool AN »

Offline sgore

• SunDog Pilot
  • Actually, Jeopardy is my second favorite game show
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2006, 11:16:52 am »
Although i like console games, The PC is always at the head of technology.
What meme is relevant right now? Look, just imagine I'm riffing on that. Updating signatures is exhausting.

Sam:The Ploofy Master