Author Topic: Kingdom Hearts  (Read 1285 times)

Offline Slinky

• Mr. Do! Disciple
  • hey there
    • View Profile
Kingdom Hearts
« on: January 26, 2016, 06:02:15 pm »
So, because they were a Christmas gift from a friend who expects me to play them, I've started the Kingdom Hearts games. I've played 1 and Re:Chain of Memories so far. Do any of you guys actually like these games? They're pretty hyped up from what I hear but I honestly don't understand what people like about them at all. They seem like ****ty obnoxious Final Fantasy OCs interacting with ****ty versions of okayish Disney characters with buttonmashy combat and boring level design. I could be wrong though. Also bosses are cheap and frustrating.

So yeah does anyone here like KH?

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
Re: Kingdom Hearts
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2016, 07:14:11 pm »
They aren't my style of game so I never really played them, but a lot of my friends love these games.

Offline Gauphastus

• Ice Climber
  • Hey, man.
    • View Profile
    • Gauphastumblr
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2016, 12:43:09 am »
I liked them a lot like a hundred years ago but I'm kinda over them now.
The overall series plot is confusing but.. I guess it makes sense in the end. Lots of magic and fluffy silly stuff about what makes us who we are, how the pursuit of knowledge may be corrupted into lust for power.

Or something.

I'm not a fan of how the plot was handled most of the time though. I get that they wanted to have secrets and stuff but it all felt so lame and pointless. Like the answers you got weren't really all that exciting 'cause the writers can just make up stuff and pile up more made up stuff on top of it.
I guess that's world building or whatever but god dang was it clumsy as hell sometimes.
"Ma all the gods of furious strong be with you as you crunch opposents, and live like a windrammer as you f**k."
       ~Ricky Wangstrom

Offline Cyst

• Space Harrier
  • V 3 $ T H 3 T I C /// 新鮮な盗まれたアート
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2016, 03:52:33 am »
I really like the series, and am extremely hyped for KF3! I mean, the characters aren't the deepest, and the storyline is kinda just thrown together, but to be quite honest I feel like that only allows for it to become more artistic. It has a lot of deeper meaning at that, which I hadn't noticed during my first few playthroughs... At the time, I'm playing an emulated version of Dream Drop Distance, and like it's blowing me away, but maybe that's because of nostalgia (i did use these games for a *lot* of escapism from my v chaotic childhood). Like, if you think of it in terms of other games, I don't know if you'll enjoy it, but when I look at it, for what it is, I see art, especially when I read about the development of the games. The characters aren't intended to be fully fleshed out, that's to come over time, as the story isn't even fully constructed. The combat is actually quite difficult to do as intended, which is why most, myself included, default to buttonmashing.

But idk mayb it jus calls to me cuz it is ish yet still of beauty, much like my own art

also nostalgia

N I WAS SO HYPED WHEN KH1 WAS FIRST ANNOUNCED OMF xD
« Last Edit: January 27, 2016, 03:55:28 am by Cyst »
DEATH TO DAESH! In solidarity with Rojava!
-----------
Oh come now, Lurk.

The internet is a magical place, where linguistic and dialectic possibilities are endless. Why not embrace those variations and see where they lead you.

Offline Ultimatum

• Wild Gunman Gangster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2016, 07:19:20 am »
I liked the games when I was younger,like who wouldn't like a video game with Micky mouse and fantasy characters together?

But the game is now a franchise with a plot so convoluted it needs diagrams to explain it all. 

Offline Slinky

• Mr. Do! Disciple
  • hey there
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2016, 05:26:14 pm »
I might not see the appeal because I was never into FF or Disney, I dunno. Maybe I should just get farther in the series.

Offline Cyst

• Space Harrier
  • V 3 $ T H 3 T I C /// 新鮮な盗まれたアート
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2016, 12:13:36 pm »
To be honest, I am not a big fan of Final Fantasy either, although Disney characters likely made it easier for me to relate with the plot, after all I too had gone on journeys with the characters of the films... However, I think if you look at the story as thematic elements, it is much brighter and more interesting... Just my opinion of course.

But yeah, like Ultimatum said, the plot is convoluted, I mean it was just kind of thrown together, and continues to get convoluted overtime, but personally I find it incredibly appealing.

like i said, been on that hype train for over a decade, hella fangirl
DEATH TO DAESH! In solidarity with Rojava!
-----------
Oh come now, Lurk.

The internet is a magical place, where linguistic and dialectic possibilities are endless. Why not embrace those variations and see where they lead you.

Offline dndfreak

• 1942 Veteran
  • The GM
    • View Profile
    • PathLosers
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2016, 09:44:27 pm »
The plot being so convoluted and ridiculous from II on helped its popularity in a way, because it's a great spark for conversation. It's a good series for getting people WAY too into it.

The original came out when I was entering early teens and I loved the series for a long time. I didn't really tire with any game in the series until I hit DDD because in Dream Drop it forces you to swap spontaneously between Sora and Riku every fifteen minutes or however long it is so it basically puts a timer on boss fights and I had both Sora and Riku in the final boss at once, at relatively low levels because I don't grind at all ever in KH games, and the damage they did is so miniscule that I ended up swapping back and forth three times each character before finally beating the boss, not from death because I'd almost never get hit but just from the arbitrary time limit. I then tried to go back half a year ago or so to emulate Birth By Sleep and I only went halfway through it before just getting bored and wanting to play other things. But BBS is the grindiest in the entire series, so that might have something to do with it.

KH1 was relatively limited in terms of magic variety and whatmayhaveyou so mashymash was pretty much the only way to go. KH2 has a faster tool for magic access and each elemental type also has different ranges and qualities, etc, making them far more interesting. The portable games (BBS, 358, coded, ddd) replace the menu with a pre-slotted deck like from CoM and mp with a cooldown system, where some abilities reload faster than others as well, and there are special elemental and non keyblade attacks in addition to spells/items/etc. The longer you go in the series, the less mashy you can get away with and the more you have to really use abilities well to cap out your damage.

Offline Ultimatum

• Wild Gunman Gangster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2016, 09:26:02 am »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tc8hrXyG1xw" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tc8hrXyG1xw</a>

This raises plenty of valid points,certainly I never bothered with the drive modes or magic (or summons for that matter) because if the game was already too easy,why bother?

Offline Cobra

• All Your Base Zero Wing
  • People want ducks.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2016, 12:49:57 pm »
I only played the 3DS version I think that's Dream Drop Distance. Never finished it got to some boss who could take your health down to 1hp and you had to hope he didn't attack you immediately before you could cast a heal spell. I ended up looking online for the guide on how to beat him best I could find is that you just had to hope it didn't happen.

It was enough to make me stop playing to find out it didn't matter how well you played the RNG had to go your way and you had to hope the boss didn't do its 2HKO move because it's unavoidable if it does.

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2016, 07:49:22 am »
Is the DS version good?

Offline Cobra

• All Your Base Zero Wing
  • People want ducks.
    • View Profile