Author Topic: Desigining a new crafting system for MMORPGs  (Read 2340 times)

Offline Yokto

• Street Fighter
  • Do not feed the Giant Gnawling.
    • View Profile
Re: Desigining a new crafting system for MMORPGs
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2016, 11:19:55 am »
OK I have done some work on this. Think is best to post.

So the though is break down it to smaller task and try to design one element at a time. But also keep in mind how these systems can interact with each other. So I present the mining part first.

Mining actually start off with you prospecting for ore. Some ore of course is more valuable then others. And may be for different purposes to. Iron is a good all around ore in general. Good for simple tools and that like. But not the fanciest of ores. And other ores might have better properties for enchanting. Ores should have there nitche. This to tie in to a dynamic player economy.

In the real world of course start with you just going and look at rocks. But not only that. In the real world ore tend to be deposited in certain areas. This could even be exaggerated in a game. Having certain metals be close to other minerals that are easier to spot. But not only that. Certain plant life might prefer the minerals in the soil. Lets say for example that Iron root happens to like Iron rich soil. That way a person can actually start reading the environment around them and be able to tell where one might find the ore.

Second phase is exploration of ore (As I have decided to call it.) Now you have found the area where you like you like to start mining. Making a visual scan you can see that the rock has different colourations and textures to it. 

The picture of both show a example how it might look (But hopefully prettier when a proper artist do it). In this case we are hunting gold! As can see it is a golden streak there. Lucky us. But before we start mining it we should pay attention to the rock it is lodged in. The dark grey area is rock we do want to mine though. It harder then the regular light grey rock. So will degrade our tools quicker. And so increase our operational cost. The light brown rock is rock we want to avoid to. It there to symbolise lose martial. Mining that could mean we get cracks and it could cause a land slight or other catastrophy that could damage us and our gear. Not to mention make a lot of noise which might get the attention of some nasty monsters. The blueish area is a low grade mineral. You want to avoid that to because this mineral happen to make the gold ore more impure. With bring me to the mining

The goal is to mine gold ore and keep it as pure as possible. Anything not gold will make the gold ore more impure. Which makes the smelting process harder. Crap in Crap out. So when using you pickaxe you want to avoid hitting areas which is not gold. Some materials will bring more impurity to the mix while other less. So the Dark Grey rock might not actually add much impurity but that is balanced out by the fact that it degrade you tools faster. Therefore you have a choice here on how you mine. And choices general make thing more interesting for the player.

Tools also play a role. Using a tool that is more precise may take you longer but make it easier for you to dig out more pure ore and avoid bad rock. On the other hand you steampowered powerdrill might chew though that rock like there is no tomorrow.

Just some ideas of course.
Check out my Creatures.
The Ęthirans
The Echin
The Jinnivons
Star Citizen Ref code: STAR-JLJP-LRTC
When you singing up use code and get 5000 credits for free ;)

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2016, 03:39:56 pm »
That actually looks pretty good. Would the actual mining part use a different interface or would it all happen in the mumorpuger overworld?
Sam is basically right, he's just cranky.

Offline Yokto

• Street Fighter
  • Do not feed the Giant Gnawling.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2016, 03:39:45 pm »
Thank you for the question Sam.

The best option would be it being a in world thing with no separation though a pop-up window or something like that. But that also a cost issue. It is more complicated to do it as a in game thing. On the other hand it can depend on the game to. It may not be so immersion breaking if the game is more 2D esque.

The good thing I think with this system is it could work in both cases. One could maybe even start of with the simple pop-up window version before one make a more proper implementation that is more seamless with the world. (though you would need plan ahead for that else you might get big headaches in the future.)
Check out my Creatures.
The Ęthirans
The Echin
The Jinnivons
Star Citizen Ref code: STAR-JLJP-LRTC
When you singing up use code and get 5000 credits for free ;)

Offline dndfreak

• 1942 Veteran
  • The GM
    • View Profile
    • PathLosers
« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2016, 03:38:43 pm »
What you describe sounds conceptually similar to thumping in Firefall. Thumpers, the resource gathering drills, have a limited inventory to collect and where you drill determines how much pure material you gain and how much of the thumper's capacity is filled with debris and impurities.

Of course, in that game thumping draws the attention of nearby wildlife and starts a defend-the-objective horde mode, so picking a thump spot is as much about the resources as it is about defensibility. Thumpers are expensive and if one gets destroyed before you have a chance to send it up, replacing it will hurt.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2016, 03:42:21 pm by dndfreak »