Author Topic: From the Depths  (Read 1891 times)

Offline Celdur

• R-Type Force Pod
  • :33
    • View Profile
From the Depths
« on: November 09, 2015, 10:15:22 am »
So here's a game more people should play.
It might not look very appealing at first but I think quite a few people on this forum would like it a lot.
It's in early access, and the graphics aren't the best, but the game feels like a finished product and it has a whole lot going for it.

Basically its a game about naval and arial combat with self made vechicles. You can slap an AI on anything you make and it'll know what it is and do its job(or you can customise the AI's behaviour heavily), or you can control things by yourself. The game has challenge missions, a campaign mode where you try to conquer a large world and multiplayer with lots of different game modes.
So there is a lot of stuff you can do outside of just making stuff, whereas most other similar games don't.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e6NrDN2lO10" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e6NrDN2lO10</a>

And there is a lot of depth when it comes to designing your vechicles. air/water drag is a thing, as is center of gravity, so you want to consider the shape of your vechicle, where you put the heavy stuff, things like ballasts and propulsion placements all have a big impact in how your vechicle moves about. Buoyancy is also a thing both with floating materials or with air pockets. You'll want to consider where to put vurnerable parts like the engine or ammo barrels(which will cause a lot of damage if they get destroyed) to put them out of harms way. It's hard to make a truly effecient and effective design, which makes making stuff a lot more fun, since its an actual challenge. And you might think that would curb creativity, but that really isn't true. For example there are a number of ingame enemy factions all with their own theme and design philosophy, and within those factions are a whole bunch of vechicles that are all very different from eachother.

Another big thing is weapon design. Almost all weapons in the game are modular, so you start with a base, and you add more parts to it to alter how it functions. Usually the bigger you make it the stronger it gets, but there is more to it than that. For example missiles are customizable, and you can change out the parts to make it function differently. You could make infrared/laser guided missiles, torpedos, mines, depth charges, harpoons, flares and many other things from the same weapon type.
All weapons have their own pros and cons, and all of them you can tweak to your liking.

The reason I'm making this thread is because I got reminded of a game we played a few years back. I can't remember the name but it was a 2d game and you could make your own spaceship from a selection of shapes, and slap weapons on them. And we used to have competitions with them, pitting our designs against eachother. If enough people get this game, we could totally do that with this, and it'll be a lot more interesting because this game has a ton more depth.

Quote from: Krakow sam
That quote is actualy very witty, Celdur. I suggest you use that in your signature.

Offline Gungnir

• SunDog Pilot
  • Bbrrrraaaaaiiiiinnnnssss
    • View Profile
Re: From the Depths
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2015, 10:43:58 am »
Man this game....

I spent way too long watching youtube videos of people's creations a while back. The game looks really cool but I'm not nearly creative enough to come up with fun stuff myself.

Offline Pixxel

• Robotron Automaton
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2015, 12:15:56 pm »
I'm working on a submarine at the moment.
If you stop and think about it, Your life's longer as an old guy than a kid. Scary o.o

Offline Celdur

• R-Type Force Pod
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2015, 12:47:59 pm »
Man this game....

I spent way too long watching youtube videos of people's creations a while back. The game looks really cool but I'm not nearly creative enough to come up with fun stuff myself.

Wizard gave me some good advice on that.
Start out with making some good engine and weapon designs, try to make something for a specific goal, like maybe something compact, something resource effecient, something that's good against this or that. Then save those parts and try to make a hull that fits those designs.

As for hull designs, I tend to just put it on symetry mode and start off with some random shapes, then I try to make it into something that works.
Might not be the best way of doing things but it works for me.

That quote is actualy very witty, Celdur. I suggest you use that in your signature.

Offline Gauphastus

• Ice Climber
  • Hey, man.
    • View Profile
    • Gauphastumblr
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2015, 01:55:52 pm »
I still wanna join you guys with this but I'm too busy for a stretch. Should be soon though. :u
"Ma all the gods of furious strong be with you as you crunch opposents, and live like a windrammer as you f**k."
       ~Ricky Wangstrom

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2015, 02:18:42 pm »
Will be getting it someday. Celdur recommended it to me.

Offline dndfreak

• 1942 Veteran
  • The GM
    • View Profile
    • PathLosers
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2015, 06:41:03 am »
The space game you're thinking of may be Gratuitous Space Battles, though there's an older indie freeware version out there somewhere that looks like geometry wars because they had no money for actual artwork.

Offline Celdur

• R-Type Force Pod
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2015, 10:05:39 am »
Yeah, it was the geometry wars one.

Anyway, why don't I show off some of the **** I made.
Suggest others do the same (that means you Wizard)

This is one of my older designs, it looks like **** but it has pretty effective torpedos so I still use it now and then.

I just finished this the other day, it has really good AA but it seems to get destroyed rather quickly. All the defensive stuff I slapped on don't seem to help much either.
The range of the guns is insane though, so I guess this one should just act as artillery.

Here's the biggest thing I've made. I really like how it looks but I never managed to make something usefull out of it.
One day I'll actually put weapons on it.

This thing started as a joke, and turned out to be a joke too.
The guns being this high up means the recoil flips the ship over, so I had to add those little side platforms for support, and if anything hits the tower it blows up and takes the ship with it.

This is what I'm working on right now, its the front of a plane if you couldn't tell. For some reason I don't really know what to do with the back end.

Offline Mr. Wizard

• Karate Champ
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2015, 01:23:56 pm »
Okay Celdur, I will share my ships too. My ships dont have a single design philosphy, each one was designed to test something different.

The Presidential Fleet

The Kennedy Torpedo Boat

Designed to be a platform for small but effective weapons.

The Truman Destroyer

Designed to be a shallow water destroyer. The hull was created with a flawed understanding of American destroyer hull design.

Nixon Barge

Ole' Tricky Dicky was created as a supply barge for future resource shipments. Since that part of the game isn't implemented yet, I just slapped missiles into it. Lots and Lots of Missiles.

Clinton Class Destroyer

The Clinton is a cigar shaped craft where I was trying to build a faster ship. It is pretty fast but it tends to have really weak armaments.

Abraham Class Battleship

I was trying to build big and I succeeded. those are 16 quad mounted 250mm guns. :D

Ulysses Class Cruiser

I was going for something smaller and cooler looking. This ship works really well, even if the guns are a little weak.

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2015, 02:16:53 pm »

Offline Inkling

• S.T.U.N. Runner
  • Not a Squid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2015, 03:02:41 pm »
If I ever get this game, I'm making either a Vice Presidential Fleet or a fleet for losing candidates.
Probably not a Goat, either.

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2015, 04:46:17 pm »
Sam is basically right, he's just cranky.

Offline Inkling

• S.T.U.N. Runner
  • Not a Squid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2015, 09:45:08 pm »
Quayle Class Potatoe Boat.
Probably not a Goat, either.

Offline Mr. Wizard

• Karate Champ
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2015, 10:25:44 pm »
Hey guys new ship. I think it's my finest creation so far.

The Washington Class Cruiser

I cannot tell a lie, I think this ship is my best so far. It looks good, it packs a punch, it has thick armor, and it has a respectable speed. And each gun has its own AI controller so it can spread freedom in every direction at once.

Offline Brandonazz

• Baseball SuperStar
  • Hoc etiam transibit
    • View Profile
    • My Internet Treasure Trove
« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2015, 11:11:41 pm »
And each gun has its own AI controller so it can spread freedom in every direction at once.

Now you're thinking like 'murica.

Offline dndfreak

• 1942 Veteran
  • The GM
    • View Profile
    • PathLosers
« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2015, 04:19:22 am »
360 degree freedom is best freedom.

Offline Mr. Wizard

• Karate Champ
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2015, 03:59:33 am »
I built a bigger boat.

Jefferson Battleship

It has 168 freedom dispensers.

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2015, 05:45:27 am »
Build a Trump boat.

The tallest, most luxurious battleship in the sea. Entirely surrounded by a fantastic border wall to keep out enemies. Designed by a genius. Let's stop kidding ourselves, it's the greatest battleship in the world, it's going to make naval warfare great again.

Offline eropS

• Out Run Speedster
  • That's right, I went there
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2015, 06:08:52 am »
It's gotta be YUGE
No, no, he did. In the everything else section, at least. Officially, this makes him king.

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2015, 07:08:37 am »
Widely known fact. Only idiots would deny it.