Author Topic: The Martian  (Read 2221 times)

Offline Legodragonxp

• Excitebike Gearhead
  • Now for some real user power...
    • View Profile
The Martian
« on: September 15, 2015, 06:42:25 pm »
Anybody else read the book, enjoy it, and hoping the movie will be any good?

If you haven't read it, here is the free copy: http://www.misterswift.com/iSTEM/The_Martian_files/The%20Martian%20-%20Andy%20Weir.pdf EDIT; There was a sweep of the internet on Thursday and most pirated or free copies of the book or audiobook are now yanked.

There were some minor changes between the free copy and the print copy but nothing too major. Note that the free copy was always intended, the author didn't realize it would become so popular. For you webcomic guys, he is also the guy that wrote Casey and Andy.

The guy that did the audiobook was awesome.

-Lego
« Last Edit: October 03, 2015, 11:41:27 am by Legodragonxp »

Offline Inkling

• S.T.U.N. Runner
  • Not a Squid.
    • View Profile
Re: The Martian
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2015, 08:35:18 pm »
I had no idea that this was originally a free book.  That makes this even more interesting.
Probably not a Goat, either.

Offline martyk

• Simon Belmont
  • Never underestimate the power of dolphin!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2015, 03:32:49 pm »
I'm real excited about this movie.  This sort of thing is right up my alley.
Quote from: Doctor Zay
Martyk is a handsome fish.
Quote from: Brandonazz
This dolphin is delicious.
<Sgore> Martyk, mentally I always picture you as like, our forums bartender.
<Neoadept> I've always pictured you trapped in a tuna net

Offline Tesla

• Street Fighter Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2015, 02:38:59 pm »
Just back from this. I really liked it! Token criticisms: it had some pacing issues, particularly in the second act. Donald Glover's character could have been cut entirely. Very sparse characterization, even for Damon's character, but that's pretty okay because it's more of a plot driven film. Actually very little focus on Mars itself, to be totally honest.

I'm really impressed to see a big budget movie like this where science not only isn't the "bad guy," science is pretty much the hero of the story. Are we seeing a shift in cultural norms? (Sidenote: apparently the book's romance subplot was actually downplayed in the movie. It was very subtle. What's happening??) I hope so! I'm also liking how sexy Mars is becoming - we're seeing a huge uptick in interest. Hopefully the Red Mars TV adaptation is popular too.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2015, 02:40:33 pm by Sugarplum Tesla »
No way dude, you're trolling me.

Offline Inkling

• S.T.U.N. Runner
  • Not a Squid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2015, 03:43:16 pm »
I'm about to see it in a few minutes.  I hope it's good.

Offline Inkling

• S.T.U.N. Runner
  • Not a Squid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2015, 10:34:48 pm »
Ha ha just kidding, it was sold out.

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2015, 12:36:52 am »
MATT DAMON!
Sam is basically right, he's just cranky.

Offline Legodragonxp

• Excitebike Gearhead
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2015, 11:37:52 am »
Just saw it, I had low expectations because I know the audio-book is over 10 hours long so I knew a lot would get cut. If I knew nothing of the original story I'd give this movie a 6/10. It is a Matt Damon movie where he is the hero, bad things happen with a happy Hollywood ending.

If you are not a book reader, find a copy of the audio book read by R C Bray from Podium Publishing. He does a good job with voices and his reading is well paced out.

When the book was being edited for print the author, Andy Weir, was criticized for poor character development so some changes were made to fill in gaps. It is clear with the screenplay version and the need for time that they went the other way. The characters in the movie get such little screen time that there was no effort made to explain anything and it is painfully clear that some of the character development ended up on the cutting room floor (the romantic piece got two nods (literally) and a five seconds in the end credits. There was a lot of talent in this movie, but it was wasted. Sean Bean's character was supposed to be tough and combative, but in the movie he just rolls over. Kristen Wigg's character was more vocal, but the PG-13 rating and need for time made her pointless but for a couple one liners. And that is just the start.

Narration. I can see this being hard to put in a movie, after Blade Runner most people shy away from it, but in this movie they give a nod to it with the video logs. Sadly this is more than half the book and it was very poorly implemented in the movie.

Plot points: This is mostly a man vs nature story. Apparently there wasn't time for that, so more than half of the challenges Watney has to face never happen in the movie. What happens off Mars is even more disrupted or completely missing. Example: There was a nod to the Rover Nods (that the movie never actually justified the hole in the roof, it is just a nod to the book and a cheap joke) and the driving section of the story was almost totally chopped out with all the accompanying challenges and issues.

Desperate situation: The book covers this well, the movie blows by so fast you never get much of a feel for it being a problem. If it had been any faster it would have been more like missing a bus and waiting for the next one than the actual challenges the astronaut had to face. With so much dialog cut you never get the full story or feel of there being an issue.

Editing and character lines: This gives the movie a pacing issue when you watch it, but if you know the original story you'll really notice the bad cuts and the fact that to move things along the discussions and lines were compressed. Teddy the director of NASA gets half the earth lines, and he is supposed to be the 'bad guy' in the movie but instead he is the narrator for time compression. Mindy Park gets a few lines, you see here here and there in the movie, but she really had almost no point in being there. Donald Glover's character was actually expanded a lot from the book to the point of being someone else, although I will begrudgingly admit this is one piece that the screenplay does better than the book.

The book makes a point of commenting on how this is not like a movie where the hero would do this or that, etc... Hollywood opted to take almost every reference and make it actually part of the movie, going directly against the book.

Continuity: nope. Some scenes are clearly out of order and why does he take a shower and then say he hasn't had one in a year and a half?

They didn't do as bad of a job going from the book to the movie as say Starship Troopers, but I am starting to think that Ridley Scott is losing his touch.

-Lego
« Last Edit: October 03, 2015, 11:40:12 am by Legodragonxp »

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2015, 01:02:36 am »
Only now "losing" his touch?

Did you not see Robin Hood or Prometheus or any of his other recent failures? I think he lost it a good while ago  :-\

Offline Legodragonxp

• Excitebike Gearhead
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2015, 06:48:36 am »
Only now "losing" his touch?

Did you not see Robin Hood or Prometheus or any of his other recent failures? I think he lost it a good while ago  :-\

I guess totally lost might have been a better phrasing.

-Lego

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2015, 01:08:11 pm »
"You either die a hero or you live long enough to see yourself become a villain" - Harvey "Doubleface" Eckhart

Offline Inkling

• S.T.U.N. Runner
  • Not a Squid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2015, 08:04:42 pm »
Hooray I finally saw it.  It was quite enjoyable.  I wouldn't have noticed some of those plot holes if Lego hadn't mentioned them, and I really enjoyed walking out and overhearing people who had read the book nitpick at things that were left out or different.

So I have questions about whether two things were in the book: The Chinese bailout and the Iron Man Maneuver.  Getting assistance from another space agency is a great device to increase the scale of the story and make it a real international effort.  It could also be a blatant move to cash in on the Chinese movie market.  And the Iron Man Maneuver, the convertible launch capsule, and the tetherless spacewalks were all rather silly, but it was the climax of the movie so I can roll with it.

Offline Legodragonxp

• Excitebike Gearhead
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2015, 09:09:38 pm »
The audiobook is back on Youtube, so if you are technically minded (you have Realplayer) you can get a copy from here *grab it fast, it might pop again: <a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9qvclBwBlPY" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9qvclBwBlPY</a> I recommend ripping it and playing it back at a slightly faster speed.

As for the questions:

The Chinese bailout was in the book, but the movie skipped over a lot of it. The Chinese do it between scientists and offer up the plan to the US and Chinese leaders as a fait accompli. The Chinese State Council did it because they would be on equal space footing with the US in the world view, they would publicly rescue an American, and they got a Chinese Astronaut on Ares V. In return they lose the ability for their mission (Tiang Chen).

Ironman was in the book as an idea, but it wasn't done. It was just a spark to consider venting atmosphere as thrust in the ship. The rescue in the book was more realistic and with different characters being involved. There are several lines and actions that got swapped around in the movie for time compression, but the movie ending was a Hollywood ending that the author originally explained wouldn't happen in real life in the book.

In the book commander Lewis prohibited tetherless spacewalks. That crap with the guy floating down the ship and dodging the centrifuge was handled differently. (He goes back in, goes to the front, locks the door from the outside, and then tether walks 'mountain climber style' back to the airlock). The ship wasn't spinning in the book (which does bring up a small flaw in the book) When the rescue happens it is Beck on a tether that gets Watney still strapped to the MAV chair.

The convertible ship was in the book, with a better explanation (and a lot more humor), the scene where they explain the modifications was only about half there. In the movie he uses a parachute, in the book they use HAB canvas (the movie calls it that too). HAB canvas and the repair kits were cut out of the movie being replaced with plastic and duct tape. If the canvas scenes had been on the movie there would have been over an hour of stuff just for that. It missing actually causes a cascade of other scenes that could be cut as well.

Listen or read the book, the missing humor alone makes it worth it.

-Lego

« Last Edit: October 11, 2015, 09:11:30 pm by Legodragonxp »

Offline eropS

• Out Run Speedster
  • That's right, I went there
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2015, 06:51:45 pm »
I liked this movie it was a fun watch. Every side character I felt was not wasted, and I ended up liking characters like the blond girl who followed Watney on the satellite.

Would watch again on cable rerun.
No, no, he did. In the everything else section, at least. Officially, this makes him king.

Offline Legodragonxp

• Excitebike Gearhead
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2015, 09:25:44 pm »
That character's name was Mindy Park. Funny thing is that the author would later state she was supposed to be Korean but that information never came across while they made the movie. She is also one of the most transformed characters in the book.

-Lego