Author Topic: Lego's weapons and technology thread part Duh  (Read 3543 times)

Offline Legodragonxp

• Excitebike Gearhead
  • Now for some real user power...
    • View Profile
Lego's weapons and technology thread part Duh
« on: September 14, 2015, 08:25:20 pm »
OK, I think I need to bring this back. For those that are new here (is anybody new here?) I had a thread back in 2008 (seven years? we need to have a reunion folks... Spore, Daxx, and other failures... anyhow, where was I? Oh yeah.) where I talked about weapons and technology....

Link to the old thread, most of the pictures are shot bit I can rebuild them if there is interest....
http://www.gamingsteve.com/blab/index.php?topic=11675.0

I was talking about the F-35 in another thread (http://www.gamingsteve.com/blab/index.php?topic=6078.26295) but I figure I should keep going on its own topic.

So lets do this again!

-Lego

« Last Edit: September 14, 2015, 08:35:39 pm by Legodragonxp »

Offline Rysworld

• Autoduel Mechanic
  • hhhhhhhh
    • View Profile
Re: Lego's weapons and technology thread part Duh
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2015, 08:48:29 pm »
I guess I can start off by saying my favorite handgun ever is the Webley-Fosbery Automatic Revolver.

A bit of an obvious choice, but it is just so cool. It's not even that good, it's just such a stylish gun.

What're you guys' favorite guns?

Offline Legodragonxp

• Excitebike Gearhead
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2015, 08:55:38 pm »
I guess I can start off by saying my favorite handgun ever is the Webley-Fosbery Automatic Revolver.

A bit of an obvious choice, but it is just so cool. It's not even that good, it's just such a stylish gun.

Yeah I brought that up in post number 7 of the old thread. I'd love one in a modern caliber, just as I would love a Mauser Broomhandle in a modern caliber (.45ACP was a Chinese police staple). Here is the painful truth on both of those guns; they will probably never be made again due to cost. Both would cost about $2000-$3000 to be made now because there is so much tooling involved. Maybe 3D printing will allow it, but for now it is just too much work/cost to make them viable for production.

In the case of the Broomhandle, Star Wars dried up the supply. While Han Solo shot first, his actions and gun caused the prop-replica world to by up all the surplus Broomhandles. You can order replicas or airsoft, but the real McCoy is gone or a collectors item.

-Lego

Offline Legodragonxp

• Excitebike Gearhead
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2015, 09:04:21 pm »
OK, I am going to add to the guns, Guns, GUNS thread from before (old thread, page 9) where I mentioned that a US Navy F11 Tiger shot itself down with its own cannons.

It turns out that the US Navy was able to repeat the process, but this time with a guided missile...

OK, pause here to be fair. Technically they were not US Navy pilots (Grumman test pilots) and technically is was a pre-production test flight, but it was a US Navy fighter project and that is close enough. CNN and FOX wouldn't bother to mention that, but I have working brain cells and my parents were married so I am mentioning it here.

Here is the link to the article: http://www.ejectionsite.com/F-14%20SHOOTDOWN.pdf

The TL:DR read is that they were testing a Sparrow missile partial launch failure from an F-14 prototype at a specific speed and the missile struck the plane, effectively destroying it.

Why do test programs take so long? Crap like this.

-Lego
« Last Edit: September 14, 2015, 09:05:52 pm by Legodragonxp »

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2015, 09:32:06 pm »
You ever fired a XP-100? They look pretty neat and I want one.

Part of the reason I got into reloading was so I could make the .221 fireball to feed the XP-100 I might own someday. :3

Offline Brandonazz

• Baseball SuperStar
  • Hoc etiam transibit
    • View Profile
    • My Internet Treasure Trove
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2015, 10:52:51 pm »
Can I axe you some questions, Lego?

I want a functional, but realistic (including materials), replica of a 17th or 18th-century rifle.

As in, I'd like it to be (approximately) like the real deal, but functional because I want to play with it.

How hard would such a weapon be to obtain? Are they a dime a dozen because they're less complex, or outrageously costly collectors items?

Non-fiscally, what hoops would I have to jump through to fire off a flintlock musket in my back yard?

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2015, 02:07:43 am »
I've hung out with re-enactors before and I don't know the specific rules in your country but generally there are some sort of exemptions for things like that if you're part of a historical or re-enactment society.

Sam is basically right, he's just cranky.

Offline Legodragonxp

• Excitebike Gearhead
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2015, 05:45:10 am »
You ever fired a XP-100? They look pretty neat and I want one.

Part of the reason I got into reloading was so I could make the .221 fireball to feed the XP-100 I might own someday. :3

No I never have fire one of those. When they were popular I wasn't interested in them. It would be more reasonable to look in to getting a Thompson Contender pistol with a custom barrel or to get a .22 barrel blank and ream your own. Do not try to build your own XP100 from a rifle. Turning a rifle in to a handgun is illegal in the US without the proper licenses and fees (gun laws are screwy).

I want a functional, but realistic (including materials), replica of a 17th or 18th-century rifle.

As in, I'd like it to be (approximately) like the real deal, but functional because I want to play with it.

How hard would such a weapon be to obtain? Are they a dime a dozen because they're less complex, or outrageously costly collectors items?

Non-fiscally, what hoops would I have to jump through to fire off a flintlock musket in my back yard?

I'd have to research it some. It would be a lot faster if you told me where in the world you live to start.

-Lego

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2015, 06:57:54 am »
What if I told you he lived in the craziest state in the Union. :U

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2015, 08:12:32 am »
Sam is basically right, he's just cranky.

Offline Brandonazz

• Baseball SuperStar
  • Hoc etiam transibit
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2015, 12:14:53 pm »
I'd have to research it some. It would be a lot faster if you told me where in the world you live to start.

-Lego

Not only is it on my profile, but I complain about it constantly. Pat knows.

Florida. Tampa, specifically.

I've hung out with re-enactors before and I don't know the specific rules in your country but generally there are some sort of exemptions for things like that if you're part of a historical or re-enactment society.

I did some archery with the Society for Creative Anachronism. It's pretty fun stuff, but they're a pre-17th-century anachronistic group.

I'd rather not get an arquebus or hand cannon though. I'd take a late 16th-century musket, but I doubt the SCA would let me use it as a period-accurate thing in any of their events.

And I don't want to do American Civil War stuff because I would die of heat exhaustion in uniform by the time the performance or larp ended.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2015, 12:30:42 pm by Brandonazz »

Offline Legodragonxp

• Excitebike Gearhead
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2015, 01:02:51 pm »

-Lego

Not only is it on my profile, but I complain about it constantly. Pat knows.

OK. Florida it is: (sorry I didn't check your profile) The problem here is replica gun/prop, real functioning gun black powder, or airsoft. I will assume for now you are talking about a working black powder firearm, for use in Florida.

Black powder can no longer be mailed through the USPS as of 2011. You can still ship it through Fed Ex and UPS I believe, but you would be better asking them in person. If not you'll need to buy it locally.

Since you want a replica gun from the 17th or 18th century, in the state of Florida it would be considered an antique firearm (even if it was built today, so long as it was build like the gun from 1918 or earlier).

Florida Statutes 790.001(1) defines an Antique Firearm as any firearm manufactured in or before 1918 (including any matchlock, flintlock, percussion cap, or similar early type of ignition system) or replica thereof, whether actually manufactured before or after the year 1918, and also any firearm using fixed ammunition manufactured in or before 1918, for which ammunition is no longer manufactured in the United States and is not readily available in the ordinary channels of commercial trade.

What makes this interesting is a different part of the law:

Florida Statutes 790.001(6) defines a Firearm as as any weapon (including a starter gun) which will, is designed to, or may readily be converted to expel a projectile by the action of an explosive; the frame or receiver of any such weapon; any firearm muffler or firearm silencer; any destructive device; or any machine gun. The term “firearm” does not include an antique firearm unless the antique firearm is used in the commission of a crime.

So even if you are a felon in the state of Florida, you could buy a working black powder gun so long as it is of a design dating from 1918 or earlier. Neat huh?

You are old enough to buy black powder and weapons that use them.

Availability: You can buy a new muzzle-loader kit from Cabella's from $300+ and the built guns start for just a few dollars more. Now these guns are made of modern metals, but based on the original designs, from before 1919,so they are technically antique firearms in Florida.

Obviously these are still guns even if they are not 'legally' firearms. Don't be stupid.

OK, shooting in your back yard.. (reads a bit.. Florida is stupid). In the state of Florida you can't shoot over public grounds (roads and such) nor can you fire over dwellings or residential zoned land. You cannot discharge a firearm in a dangerous manner. This is state law. Cities can have their own laws and ordinances as well, but it appears that in Florida an official enacting a firearms law against the state law could get fined $5000 and lose his job. So can you shoot in your backyard? It would appear to be yes, so long as you do it in a safe manner and don't shoot over anybody else's property.

BUT

You can get hit with a disturbing the peace tag for it. Now an antique firearm is not a firearm in Florida, so you should not be able to get hit with 'discharging a firearm in public' but since you are creating a lot of noise you are 'disturbing the peace' which could be considered a crime and therefore your antique firearm is now a firearm by law.

My advice... move.

-Lego
« Last Edit: September 15, 2015, 01:09:12 pm by Legodragonxp »

Offline Slinky

• Mr. Do! Disciple
  • hey there
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2015, 01:16:08 pm »
I don't know if I'm comfortable with the whole "Brendan Fraser wielding a musket' scenario.

Offline Brandonazz

• Baseball SuperStar
  • Hoc etiam transibit
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2015, 01:51:22 pm »
Wow, thanks for all the information!

OK, shooting in your back yard.. (reads a bit.. Florida is stupid). In the state of Florida you can't shoot over public grounds (roads and such) nor can you fire over dwellings or residential zoned land. You cannot discharge a firearm in a dangerous manner. This is state law. Cities can have their own laws and ordinances as well, but it appears that in Florida an official enacting a firearms law against the state law could get fined $5000 and lose his job. So can you shoot in your backyard? It would appear to be yes, so long as you do it in a safe manner and don't shoot over anybody else's property.

BUT

You can get hit with a disturbing the peace tag for it. Now an antique firearm is not a firearm in Florida, so you should not be able to get hit with 'discharging a firearm in public' but since you are creating a lot of noise you are 'disturbing the peace' which could be considered a crime and therefore your antique firearm is now a firearm by law.

My advice... move.

-Lego

Don't worry, I'm getting out of Swamp Asylum as soon as I can.

Offline Ultimatum

• Wild Gunman Gangster
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2015, 03:06:43 pm »
hey Lego,what you think of the X-Jet?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Williams_X-Jet