Author Topic: The Science of Aliens - Gender of Aliens  (Read 7822 times)

Offline Hydromancerx

• Master of Orion
  • Klaatu Barada Nikto!
    • View Profile
    • Sagan 4
The Science of Aliens - Gender of Aliens
« on: December 29, 2005, 07:17:27 pm »
I have been reading the book "The Science of Aliens" by Clifford Pickover. I highly recommend it even from the little bit i have read.This book bring up all the things that spore is about. What aliens would look like, how alien behaviors could be, alien sense, alien cultures, alien travel, etc. All within the scope of science as we know it and some (as we don't know it  Wink ) Anywho i am going to start topics like this one now and then on the issues that he brings up. Because these same questions for real life happen to fit within Spore very well. Can't can't help think maybe Will Wright read this book too since it was written in 1997.

Just within our own planet their are many way to reproduce and not all have to involve an male and female. Here are some examples.

1. Amoeba - Divides into 2 parts producing 2 creatures.
2. Cutting, budding or body fragments can grow into a new creature. For instance a starfish's arm being cut off can grow a new starfish.
3.  With sexual reproduction the reproductive cells from diffrent parents fuse tother and make a new but diffrent offspring.
   A) Male and Female appearing the same.
   B) Male and Female apprearing diffrent such as in humans, male moose with antlers and females not, or peacocks with giant tail feathers while females not.
   C) Hermaphrodites which have both sexual organs but still reproduce by sexual reproduction (rather than self fertilization).
   D) 3 Sexes where there is one female and 2 males. Except only 2 are needed. For instance in a crustacean, one male is fast and can get to a female to reproduce and cannot hold on for too long. While the other is slow but strong and can hold on long enough to mate. Each success about 50/50 so both the male subtypes exist.
   E) Some single celled creatures can have 8 (4 female and 4 male) or even 10 diffrent sexes (5 male and 5 female).
   F) Pesudocopulation is where another creature mates for a creature. For instance flowers cannot go over and mate another flower. So bees, butterflies, birds and bats mate with a flowers (the sexual organ) of the plant for them and in return get nectar.
   G) Sex changing. Some fish, amphibians and other creatures change their sex during their life time. This can be based on temperature, lack of one gender or even age.

So do you think spore will have genders? If so how many? What kind of reproduction do you think will be there? Do you think for instance you can self fertilization or "budding" off?

Offline Martham112

• Dig Dug Digger
    • View Profile
Re: The Science of Aliens - Gender of Aliens
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2005, 03:21:07 am »
I would like to see a tiny Wilosaur stating of in a wart on the adults nose.
But anyway I think they will be like slugs. They need to mate,but can with any other of there species. I think this because the Wilosaur that Will's one saw had nothing to differentiate between the two.

Offline 762

• Goddess of Phobos
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2005, 08:29:07 am »
There will be males and females in the game, but you may only be able to distinguish between the two because females are in a nest/ respond to your mating call. You can't just go up to any old creature and get your freak on. You might even have to fight for a mate.

Spore countdowns: USA Europe

Offline Martham112

• Dig Dug Digger
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2005, 11:32:06 am »
but you may only be able to distinguish between the two because females are in a nest respond to your mating call.

What if you consider your one as a female then?

Offline huggkruka

• Space Ace
  • Totally powers
    • View Profile
    • My Digitalart.org profile
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2005, 02:44:15 pm »
You forgot explosive uniforming. Two animals merge, then explode, sending hundreds of grubs flying all over the place.

Offline happydan20

• Venture Conqueror
  • Discovered the "everything syndrome."
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2006, 09:54:18 am »
yeah dont forget about black widow spiders and those praying mantis things, sometimes one of the partners dies in the process.
I survived the flood of 2008 and all I got was this crappy homelessness.

Offline Borogove

• Venture Conqueror
  • mimsy: adj. - flimsy and miserable :(
    • View Profile
    • Meyermike.com
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2006, 10:06:33 am »
Jellyfish reproduction/lifecycle really weirded me out when I read up on it.  I had no idea that a single species could reproduce in so many different ways...
Use those talents you have. You will make it. You will give joy to the world. Take this tip from nature: The woods would be a very silent place if no birds sang except those who sang best.
-- Bernard Meltzer

Check out my games:  http://www.meyermike.com

Offline GrrrArrgh

• Venture Conqueror
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2006, 01:42:47 pm »
yeah dont forget about black widow spiders and those praying mantis things, sometimes one of the partners dies in the process.

That's not really a method of reproduction so much as it is a habit. Spiders are really interesting when it comes to mating rituals. There's one species that actually offers itself up as a meal during mating to keep the female distracted long enough for it to impregnate her. Now that's dedication to the propagation of your species.

And just to stay on topic one other asexual method of reproduction could be how the creatures from the tremor movies did it. Eat a bunch of food, puke up some offspring.
There is a method to my madness. That method is in and of itself quite mad, but it is method nonetheless.

Offline SimEarth Freak

• Fishing Derby Champion
  • Trichordates are now sentient
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2006, 02:49:09 pm »
One observation about sex and reproduction in Spore:

When Will was demonstrating the cellular stage of the game he was able to lay an egg without mating, but at the creature level he needed to find a mate.  So there must be some stage during the game when you do evolve gender, even if males and females are identical.

Offline Hydromancerx

• Master of Orion
  • Klaatu Barada Nikto!
    • View Profile
    • Sagan 4
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2006, 04:16:45 am »
It might be intersting to have say an ant-like species. One in which there is only one type of male and many types of females. For instace the workers and soldiers are still female but do not reproduce. Only the queen reproduces with the male drones. Play SimAnt and you will know what i mean.

In Spore i think it would be cool to do the same where you can have a cast system of genders but still the same species.

Offline SimEarth Freak

• Fishing Derby Champion
  • Trichordates are now sentient
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2006, 12:08:43 pm »
It might be intersting to have say an ant-like species. One in which there is only one type of male and many types of females. For instace the workers and soldiers are still female but do not reproduce. Only the queen reproduces with the male drones. Play SimAnt and you will know what i mean.

In Spore i think it would be cool to do the same where you can have a cast system of genders but still the same species.

I believe Will is actually interested in ants, which was why he wrote SimAnt, and why pictures of Ants appear in his slide shows.  It would be cool if you could evolve a species with non fertile members.

Offline Golgrig

• Star Castle Cadet
  • I am Will Wright's complete lack of suprise.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2006, 08:12:38 pm »
the species that use the Hive organization do so to their own benefit, so it should be extremely rewarding to make a hive, if you could, in spore.  If a Hive could organise its self to the same level an individual's cells are organised it would be the next level of organization like the order in stephan baxters Destiny's Children Saga a human Eusociality, a hive of human drones and Queens. 

kind of interesting is int it? or do you sudenly think Borg! .....Resistance Is Futile!

as for what type of genders Spore offers, I'd think it would give you some choice.
"6.4 Um's per minute" or "The Speed of Wright

An adventurer in the land of who gives a ****

The idea is to mix one ingredient that will burn very fast with a second ingredient that will supply enough oxygen for that burning. This burns so fast, it's an explosion.

Offline Hydromancerx

• Master of Orion
  • Klaatu Barada Nikto!
    • View Profile
    • Sagan 4
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2006, 12:05:13 am »
the species that use the Hive organization do so to their own benefit, so it should be extremely rewarding to make a hive, if you could, in spore.  If a Hive could organise its self to the same level an individual's cells are organised it would be the next level of organization like the order in stephan baxters Destiny's Children Saga a human Eusociality, a hive of human drones and Queens. 

kind of interesting is int it? or do you sudenly think Borg! .....Resistance Is Futile!

as for what type of genders Spore offers, I'd think it would give you some choice.

I was thinking actually about the creatures in Man After Man in which developed a hive system. It was weird cause they had like a fat hive mother queen and funky saytar-like males with bush mustaches.

Offline Tantalus

• Bezerk Brawler
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2006, 04:55:57 pm »
/ressurect dead thread

Offline Hydromancerx

• Master of Orion
  • Klaatu Barada Nikto!
    • View Profile
    • Sagan 4
« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2006, 04:06:38 am »
It would be interesting if you had a species that could breed but only certian combinations of sexes such as ...

A = Male
B = Female
C = "Emale"

A + B = C
A + C = A or C
B + C = B or C
A + A = Cannot
B + B = Cannot
C + C = A or B