Author Topic: BattleBots 2015 - Flywheelbot Edition  (Read 3587 times)

Offline Mr. Wizard

• Karate Champ
    • View Profile
BattleBots 2015 - Flywheelbot Edition
« on: July 06, 2015, 12:22:21 pm »
So ABC has resurrected Battlebots and put it every sunday. They did not inject very much Reality TV into the formula. (Only a little)

*Link removed due to DMCA demons*

So far we have learned some things from the matches.

1. Advances in motors and batteries just mean spinning robots are even more destructive.

2. Girls just cant seem to make practical robot designs. (SEXISM.EXE ACTIVATED)

3. Flamethrowers are really useless.

4. Nightmare still cant beat Team Whyachi.

5. Horizontal Spinners are better than vertical spinners.

6. The Announcers are only there for flying bits of metal to scare them.

7. Bad Drivers are everywhere. VLAD THE IMPALER I MISS YOU SO.

8. Stinger is best bot.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2015, 01:39:02 am by Mr. Wizard »

Offline Ultimatum

• Wild Gunman Gangster
    • View Profile
Re: BattleBots 2015 - Flywheelbot Edition
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2015, 12:42:44 pm »
robot wars

Offline Brandonazz

• Baseball SuperStar
  • Hoc etiam transibit
    • View Profile
    • My Internet Treasure Trove
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2015, 02:11:15 pm »
I've been seeing some of the bots on Tested on Youtube and this is looking pretty neat.

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2015, 02:30:47 pm »
I watched last week's episode and it was a good time. Really enjoying this show.

Also I am loving the high definition. Maybe the 90s were a little too early for this type of show. The show has improved immensely with the advances we've made in computing and broadcasting. But I also agree with Wizard that the lack of reality tv garbage is nice.

Another thing we learned: any idiot can put a net in a box and tangle up a bot; do it right, loser.

Offline Neoadept

• Fooblitzky Fooble
  • Has a nice hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2015, 05:31:30 pm »
I spent the first episode spotting people who didn't learn anything from the first series.

Exposed wheels, no self-righting, visible ground clearance.

No that I'm complaining.  Seeing them get fed to the other 'bots was glorious.
Nefarious?  Nearly.  Ne’er-do-well?  Never!  Neither nearly names this narrator.  Naive and knowledgeable, notorious and inscrutable, this nascent Nero is known naturally as Neoadept.

Offline Mr. Wizard

• Karate Champ
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2015, 05:41:16 pm »
The guy with the tracked bot will find how bad an idea tracks are

Offline Inkling

• S.T.U.N. Runner
  • Not a Squid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2015, 10:14:06 pm »
I'm so happy that this show is back!
Probably not a Goat, either.

Offline Mr. Wizard

• Karate Champ
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2015, 01:47:49 am »
SPOILERS FOR BATTLEBOTS DO NOT READ IF YOU HAVEN'T SEEN THE FIGHTS.

I love Witchdoctor. So many teams say "We're attaching this wedge to deal with spinners" and then they attach a solid ass hunk of metal to themselves which gets ripped off immediately. Witch Doctor V. Tombstone was the most surprising fight. I thought their only strategy was to use the small robot to immobilize tombstone, so when I heard they dropped it for "better armor" I was like "Welp, another cakewalk for Tombstone". Then tombstone tries to attack and just flies away. Turn's out Witch Doctor 's shield had reactive armor, with spring between it and the wedge. This almost completely nullified tombstones weapon advantage. Tombstone barely won. witch doctor would be a beast if it just improved its stability. I say drop the minibot and make a way to flip yourself over quickly goshdarn it.

Ghost raptor's is a stupidly lucky robot, but credit where it is due, that de-icer attachment was stupid and brilliant at the same time. I say this is the first victory he really earned. All his previous matches had robots with malfunctions, usually not due to his skill at all. The de-icer took advantage of two weaknesses. first, it prevented Icewave from directly advancing. Secondly, it allowed him to be lifted. That made it hit Ghost Raptors armor at a more favorable angle. It is interesting to note that Ghost Raptors outer armor is also reactive, so it could take Icewaves hits like Witchdoctor took tombstone. So icewave hit that spring loaded armor at a more favorable angle since it was lifted and flipped itself over. Excellent strategy there. I can see them trying something similar against tombstone if they meet him in the finals.

OMG THAT OVERHAUL AND BITEFORCE FIGHT WAS GREAT. Biteforce, look at Overhaul and learn some crap. He lifted you because his forward wedgelets go further. Drop the stupid magnets on the treads in increase the length of the wedgelets. Overhaul, look at Biteforce, he dominated early on because his tracks actually go all the way to the back of the bot. This lets him continue to control his movement even when getting lifted slightly. When Biteforce lifted you up, you lose all ability to move because your wheels are  in the center, far from the edge. I know we have seen lots of robots get tossed around the arena, but seeing overhaul successfully lift Biteforce in the air is the most special way to get into the air. Its not sudden outburst of explosive force, like Tombstone or Bronco, just very carefully applied articulated power. It was beautiful.

Bronco and Stinger was a disappointment. I like Bronco, but he is really a one trick pony. I felt that stinger was more interesting. It was the fight of brickhouses, cant really harm one another since each bot is difficult to damage and they lack damaging weapons anyway. Spectacular (and literal) blaze of glory for Stinger. I was rooting for Stinger, but let's see if Bronco's one trick will even matter against tombstone.

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2015, 05:11:59 am »
It is very cool that the bots are evolving as the competition goes on. Maybe that happened in the first series but I was too young to notice/watch them in order.

I've come to the conclusion that hammers are pretty useless. They never seem to hit hard enough. Plus, when you see the test videos they usually test the hammers on tin cans and ready-to-cook chickens... which are not bots.

Offline Mr. Wizard

• Karate Champ
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2015, 10:18:12 pm »
Well, I do remember modular robots in the past, but they were usually pretty simple. Like, you could screw on a different spike or something. I dont remember anything on the level of what Ghost Raptor has had to do or any as modular as Bite Force.

Hammers are not very effective. The fastest any weapon can move is about 300 miles an hour, and only spinning robots manage to achieve that. There is no mechanism short of an explosion that can get a hammer to reach 300mph and swing with as much force as can be mustered by a flywheel robot. Hammer robots were more effective in lower weight classes, which generally had thinner armor. At 250lbs though, hammers are practically useless.

Offline Inkling

• S.T.U.N. Runner
  • Not a Squid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2015, 10:23:21 pm »
I hope they bring in multiple weight classes if this gets another season, I was going to say the same thing about hammers.

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2015, 06:09:37 pm »
Finals time, yo.

Finals.

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2015, 06:26:40 pm »

Bite Force just shellacked Ghost Raptor.

This show better get renewed for another season. A few weekends of shooting for an entire season of shows? No way this costs the network much money. Also I am loving that they are getting right to the fights and not overloading on filler segments.

CHAMPIONSHIP ROUND BEGINS NOW!!!!!!

That was pretty cool! Satisfied with the outcome.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2015, 07:18:52 pm by PatMan33 »

Offline Inkling

• S.T.U.N. Runner
  • Not a Squid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2015, 11:36:11 pm »
Yeah, that was fantastic.  If this season was a success maybe we can get additional weight classes in the future!

Offline Mr. Wizard

• Karate Champ
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2015, 02:49:34 am »
Damn, that was excellent. I have to eat my words from earlier too. :Y