Author Topic: Chuck and Lizzie and the Mom who was Busy  (Read 905 times)

Offline dndfreak

• 1942 Veteran
  • The GM
    • View Profile
    • PathLosers
Chuck and Lizzie and the Mom who was Busy
« on: June 21, 2015, 05:25:08 am »
Last spring, I took a course entitled 'Children's Literature'. The course description billed it as analysis-focused, but the professor never bothered reading it. Instead, much of our grade was dependent on writing and illustrating our own original children's book. This didn't go well for a lot of students, as you can imagine, but I stuck through it knowing I could rely on the magic of copypasta to crunch through a series of illustrations the day before. Sure enough, i spent the large part of the entire weekend before class patching this together, which turned out better than I thought. I realized when I started posting in the doodles thread that I still had the files, so figured I might as well share.

The idea for this book came about when I was on a TF2 Teamspeak with a single mother who would regularly get interrupted while playing by her three year old daughter, and she reacted... poorly. The mother couldn't comprehend that the kids just wanted attention and the kid never understood why she couldn't get it. I wanted to write something that would hopefully provide a sort of middle ground, a way to solve the issue without actually telling the parent they're doing something wrong. Well, directly, anyways.

The result was Chuck and Lizzie.

Offline Slinky

• Mr. Do! Disciple
  • hey there
    • View Profile
Re: Chuck and Lizzie and the Mom who was Busy
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2015, 12:56:29 pm »
Man that font is painful.

Offline Kaizer

• Mail Order Monster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2015, 02:41:04 pm »
Yeah, it needs more comic sans.

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2015, 02:55:41 pm »
What a ****ty mother. (the TF2 one, not the one in the story)
Sam is basically right, he's just cranky.

Offline dndfreak

• 1942 Veteran
  • The GM
    • View Profile
    • PathLosers
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2015, 10:46:43 pm »
Yeah, pretty much. I gave up on hanging out with them in general a couple months back. Not the best people I've ever met.

I mean, it's not like she ignored her kid. She basically just did the bare minimum of whatever the girl wanted, and wasn't happy about it. She had an attitude where she just thought her child was a needy brat as opposed to just wanting to spend time with her mom. That's one of the big reasons I used the idea of wanting to play together instead of some other want or need.

Yeah, she wasn't a great mom. But she's a single parent, and doesn't have anyone else to give her daughter that necessary attention. I think she made the same mistake the majority of new parents probably do. Not everyone really understands kids.

The real issue is that, from what i saw, I'm not sure how much she actually tried to understand. That's what makes the bad parent. Effort. Kids will pick up on that.