Author Topic: Fallen London/Sunless Sea  (Read 7419 times)

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
Fallen London/Sunless Sea
« on: April 05, 2015, 04:36:37 pm »
I've been playing both of these games a lot recently.

Fallen London is a browser game (No, don't leave, it's actually really good) and Sunless Sea is a naval exploration game both set in the same mysterious gothic world.

A little backstory for the curious: At some point in the mid 19th century London was stolen away to a weird underworld called "The Neath". Certain laws don't work quite the same way down there as they do on the surface, for example, death is very rarely permanent and secrets, concepts, ideas and stories have much more of a tangible value. London is also now a great deal closer to Hell and Devils mix freely with the population.

It would be sort of pointless to go into the setting any more (and there is so much more, oh man) because most of the fun of both games is uncovering all the details and joining up the dots yourself. The writing in both games is excellent and they really deliver the story elements in a way which makes you feel like you're delving into secret knowledge, and what details you do uncover don't ever dispel the atmosphere of mystery that hangs over the world the authors have created.

Mechanics-wise fallen London is essentially a sort of choose your own adventure resource-management game. You get an allotment of actions which replenish over time in real-time, which you can spend on pursuing various plots and stories. You success in most actions is tied to one of your four main stats; Dangerous, Shadowy, Watchful and Persuasive (and sometimes to other qualities you accumulate as well) and some actions require a particular resource to complete (there are a myriad of these in the game, ranging from straightforward valuables like fragments of jade, through Blackmail Materials and on to really abstract resources like Tales of Terror or Romantic notions (even souls). The game has some paid content but its mostly just unlocking optional storylines, and as there's no substantial pvp element there's no pay to win bull****.

Sunless Sea retains a similar mechanic for story resolution but its tied to slightly more stats (Hearts, Veils, Pages, Mirrors and Iron) and also has a simple naval exploration and combat game which takes up a fair amount of your time. Fallen London is your base, and from there you venture out across the Unterzee in your steam ship, discovering weird far-off places. You put in at port on various islands and explore them via a choose-your own adventure style interface. The game is really unforgiving, particularly to begin with and it's very easy to die very quickly even on later playthroughs. Luckily there is continuity between playthroughs as you can write a will which allows your next character to inherit various resources (usually cash) from your now ex-character. Again, the story is related in intriguing little snippets and its up to you to figure out how it all fits together. Sunless Sea's story doesn't involve London much, and instead focuses on other exotic locales, which range in tone from lovecraftian horror to rather surreal and comedic locations.

Fallen London is free to play and Sunless Sea is pretty cheap on steam, I'd definitely recommend picking them up, it's one of my favourite settings ever.

Sam is basically right, he's just cranky.

Online Rysworld

• Autoduel Mechanic
  • hhhhhhhh
    • View Profile
Re: Fallen London/Sunless Sea
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2015, 05:41:45 pm »
Been playing a bit of Sunless Sea, it's pretty fun.

If you enjoy good exploration and good writing, you'll like it.

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2015, 08:21:06 pm »
Jesus Sam made a topic about games? What is this the Twilight Zone!?

Sunless Sea popped up on my radar a bit ago but I never played it. It may have even been here that I saw it. Looked neat though! Will try it.

Offline Slinky

• Mr. Do! Disciple
  • hey there
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2015, 08:42:04 pm »
Jesus Sam is the final evolution of Krakow Sam.

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2015, 09:10:01 pm »
As usual, I miss one comma and some ******* is here to tell me about it.

I try so hard all the time to do things right and there's always someone there to scream to everyone when and how I ****ed up. :|

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2015, 02:05:15 am »
Relax Pat Slinky's just doing improv, he don't mean nothin' by it. Not his fault he isn't funny.

Offline Slinky

• Mr. Do! Disciple
  • hey there
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2015, 08:06:41 am »
Yeah Pat I love you and I want you in me.

EDIT: now skeeter
« Last Edit: April 06, 2015, 08:08:19 am by Slinky »

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2015, 12:35:19 pm »
So, would anyone like to join me in playing Fallen London? I really want someone to speculate with on all this mysterious background, and the game also has some options I'd like to explore that can only take place between players. If anyone wants to join shoot me your email address so I can shoot you a referral and we can get something good out of it.

Offline Inkling

• S.T.U.N. Runner
  • Not a Squid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2015, 04:10:17 pm »
Okay, I'm interested.
Probably not a Goat, either.

Offline Celdur

• R-Type Force Pod
  • :33
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2015, 06:29:09 pm »
I'm game

Quote from: Krakow sam
That quote is actualy very witty, Celdur. I suggest you use that in your signature.

Offline eropS

• Out Run Speedster
  • That's right, I went there
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2015, 08:45:10 pm »
Is it multiplayer? I've signed up and don't really see any way to play -with- you guys
No, no, he did. In the everything else section, at least. Officially, this makes him king.

Offline Celdur

• R-Type Force Pod
  • :33
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2015, 08:49:43 pm »
Seems like that stuff unlocks once you get your house or something.

I'm curious though, does the game actually have stories where you have hard choices and you have to think for yourself? Or do you just grind stats and brute force your character to succeed?
So far all that I'm doing is doing mini-stories with little substance to them to up my stats. Where is the real meat of the game. Or is that the meat of the game?

Quote from: Krakow sam
That quote is actualy very witty, Celdur. I suggest you use that in your signature.

Offline eropS

• Out Run Speedster
  • That's right, I went there
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2015, 09:11:54 pm »
I think the 'gold' cards are where the story/consequences take place. Same with the cards you draw; if you fail those challenges I think the penalty is you don't get the rewards.

Idk if you've got an ambition yet either but that seems to change up the pace, too.

Also, I've apparently developed a reputation with the criminals so I'd expect 'gold' cards related to that eventually?
No, no, he did. In the everything else section, at least. Officially, this makes him king.

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2015, 01:12:17 am »
Yeah some events result in irreversible choices, usually ones at the end of a long storyline. Regrettably there is a bit of unavoidable grinding, but it's interspersed with interesting snippets of plot and background info.

Multiplayer stuff starts happening when you get a house. I've never really done it so no idea how exactly it plays out. My character is The Philanthropologist so shoot me an invite to something once you opportunity arises.

Offline Brandonazz

• Baseball SuperStar
  • Hoc etiam transibit
    • View Profile
    • My Internet Treasure Trove
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2015, 12:47:30 pm »
Uh, if there is a multiplayer aspect then I'd love to be a part. Sending my email address, not that it's hard to figure out.