Author Topic: Pillars of Eternity  (Read 1026 times)

Offline eropS

• Out Run Speedster
  • That's right, I went there
    • View Profile
Pillars of Eternity
« on: April 02, 2015, 07:34:09 am »
#Invalid YouTube Link#

Honestly, this game is bomb.

It's like if Baldurs Gate 2 was slightly less epic, but way smoother, better put together, and had more options.

Combat is difficult to start, but if you decide to get into it you'll eventually be mowing down enemies in a flurry of position reliant spells. Magic works with the X per rest, but some abilities can be used X per encounter, which makes for more tactical game play that is rewarding to grapple with and master. Seriously, once players get a party of 6, things really take off.

The story is good, the writing is actually good as well. It's compelling, it gives you many decisions that hit almost every range you could think of, it provides many stat-based chat interactions (I believe their occurrence is as follows: Resolve>Perception>Intellect>Might>Dex&Con; then there's also Lore>Survival>Athletics>Mechanics>Stealth). These can all lead to unique interactions that will give different outcomes. They're present in almost any quest, and really make you feel rewarded for actually being able to use your Might to further the plot without killing fools.

Stat allocation is linear, which is neat. The classes are all pretty unique but there's definitely some stand-outs. They're all pretty fun to play though, besides maybe a Fighter. The rest of the character creator is pretty extensive, too, with background and culture being additional choices that will have minor effects such as additional chat options, stat changes, and starting equipment.

Seriously though, the story, it's good. Especially near the end, the game poses a sort of unique scenario in which idk, I kind of resonated with and considered. It's fun, and worth the time to explore.

No, no, he did. In the everything else section, at least. Officially, this makes him king.

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
Re: Pillars of Eternity
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2015, 07:53:15 am »
This is the game with the waterfall and the bridge picture I remember seeing. It looks really neat, have been hearing good things from lots of different people.

Offline Tesla

• Street Fighter Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2015, 08:01:22 am »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zAw4v6JbCBI" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zAw4v6JbCBI</a>
i got a lil dinkle dank
No way dude, you're trolling me.

Offline Celdur

• R-Type Force Pod
  • :33
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2015, 09:59:41 am »
Durance best character.

Quote from: Krakow sam
That quote is actualy very witty, Celdur. I suggest you use that in your signature.

Offline Mr. Wizard

• Karate Champ
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2015, 11:04:43 pm »
I like the lore and the story. What I have seen so far is satisfyingly complex without being too epic. The Super Epic World Changing Story with its Macguffins And Chekov's Godhammers already happened, and our story is a spin off. I am liking it so far.

Also they built it to control exactly the same as the Infinity Engine, from Baldur's Gate. If you played that a lot, you will find muscle memory kicking in often.

Also there are no romances so you dont have smelly swamp witches trying to bone you five minutes after joining your party.

Also Wizards are called Wizards and not the much more boring term "Mages"

Also it's "inspired" by Dungeons and Dragons but the game system is purpose built for a computer RPG and flows very well once you get a handle on it.

Also is uses Attacks of Opportunity but does so in a clear and cool manner.

Also Durance is the best.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2015, 11:41:01 pm by Mr. Wizard »

Offline eropS

• Out Run Speedster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2015, 10:19:30 am »
I started up a Path of the Damned (basically the 'Nightmare' mode) and I must say it's been a blast putting together a custom party and then watching my strategy unfold seemingly with success.
No, no, he did. In the everything else section, at least. Officially, this makes him king.

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2015, 08:10:01 am »
Should I kill that king dude? Or should I help his cousin?

Can I kill both of them? How do I do that? Don't care about spoilers. Already playing in turbo mode.

Also I found a cat but already have a dog so I keep the cat in my backpack.

Offline eropS

• Out Run Speedster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2015, 07:17:50 pm »
I'd kill the kind he's a douche. but yeah you can attack the other guy after you kill the king and vice versa. probably the secret hidden best outcome