Author Topic: 2016 Election  (Read 218788 times)

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
Re: 2016 Elections
« Reply #1770 on: October 09, 2016, 03:55:32 am »
Telling people to not vote there conscience is silly. 

What the hell is a conscience exactly, in this context? We're not 8 year olds watching Pinnochio. I think we all know a conscience isn't some magical thing like a soul that gives you an objective ability to tell right from wrong. A person's attitudes can be changed by what they experience, which includes watching PSAs by Joss Whedon. A lot of people's "consciences tell them to do ****ty", reprehensible things like persecute gay people.

Also, Ink is right, advocacy by celebrities is effective. People like Robert Downey are high-status and its basically their job to be likeable and charismatic. What would be silly is underestimating the impact of what Iron Man thinks about the election on a certain portion of the voter base. The first movie came out 8 years ago, that's a decent amount of spellbound 10 year olds who can now vote.

Sam is basically right, he's just cranky.

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • GREAT SCOTT!!
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #1771 on: October 09, 2016, 08:12:30 am »
It is effective, but it is just the blind leading the blind. Why should his opinion matter? All he has is status and celebrity access, but why is Iron Man a good source? (yes, I know why it does matter, but retards shouldn't be allowed to vote anyway)

I have more educational credentials Robert Downey Jr. does. I'd be willing to bet that I also pay more attention to politics and the election than he does. Yeah he has impact, but so what? He's a actor with a high school diploma. They'll roll him out with whatever pre-recorded message is required and he'll do his thing. It's just a canvas with a message stamped onto it. The artist has no relevance and they are not a trustworthy or reliable source.

This is all a yearning for trustworthy and reliable sources. We have none but we desperately want them. We'll dress any pig up and pretend it is one if we have to.

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #1772 on: October 09, 2016, 09:03:50 am »
This is all a yearning for trustworthy and reliable sources. We have none but we desperately want them. We'll dress any pig up and pretend it is one if we have to.
The reliable trustworthy sources you want don't exist. It's always been tough to get a proper read on a situation and that isn't made easier by the overload of information we have access to these days. You're looking for a really complicated signal through a lot of noise.

What exactly do you want reliable sources to say? Tell you Hillary Clinton or Donald Trumps tax plans? At best they can tell you what they're thinking about doing now. Even under compulsion of some sort of truth serum neither would be able to make any promises or assurances. Even if a candidate were the most honest person in the world, circumstances always change and people have to make compromises so they'd inevitably appear to be liars, or at least inconsistent.

Also, the world is just too big for one person to see the whole picture. We all look through our own keyholes. Some people see more through their keyhole and some are better at piecing together the fragments other people have seen, but nobody has access to everything and nobody can work out what's really going on.

That's my two cents anyway. Just strap yourself in and feel the Gs. 

As for RDJ, yeah, I don't disagree, what does he know? He barely lives in the real world. But someone who needs to get out of a message would be dumb not to use him as a mouthpiece.
Sam is basically right, he's just cranky.

Offline Inkling

• S.T.U.N. Runner
  • Not a Squid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1773 on: October 09, 2016, 11:24:44 am »
More importantly, I am not sure why you give a damn about me posting about something that you don't give a damn about.  There's more than enough issues, controversies, and scandals going on with the campaigns themselves... but someone posted something trivial you can take issue with again!  ;)

I addressed the current topic because we had been talking about it for a while, then hoped we would move on to something else.  And we sort of have.  If you prefer, next time I can ignore you and skip straight to another topic.  Much of the rest of what you said missed the point I was trying to make, but let's move on.

As far as voting third party, I look at it in a couple of ways.

Are you* equally comfortable with either of the major candidates winning?

How close are the candidates in the polls?  If it's going to be a landslide one way or another I would feel freer to vote third party, since the thing is locked up no matter how I vote.

Are you being realistic about the chances of your third party candidate?  If you're voting as a way to boost that party's chances in future elections or as a way to send a message, that's great.  If you're voting for a candidate who is polling in single digits and think they can actually win, you're deluding yourself.

*The use of "you" here is meant in a conversational sense, not speaking to anyone specifically.
Probably not a Goat, either.

Offline Inkling

• S.T.U.N. Runner
  • Not a Squid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1774 on: October 09, 2016, 01:40:49 pm »
Second debate's tonight at 9.  It'll be basically everywhere but NBC.

To get us all in the right mindset... You're going to love this.  Just love it!

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8X48RiKQmFQ" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8X48RiKQmFQ</a>

Offline Inkling

• S.T.U.N. Runner
  • Not a Squid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1775 on: October 09, 2016, 05:49:33 pm »
We doing a debate group chat again?

Offline /lurk

• Dragon Warrior Slime
    • View Profile
« Reply #1776 on: October 09, 2016, 05:53:18 pm »
We doing a debate group chat again?

You'll need Pat to light the Beacons of Gondor. He gets results.

Edit: Pray for divine intervention.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2016, 07:43:19 pm by /lurk »
Not a winner anymore.

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • GREAT SCOTT!!
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #1777 on: October 10, 2016, 01:13:42 am »
Oh darn I was asleep and Mordor won. :U

How'd it go?

Offline /lurk

• Dragon Warrior Slime
    • View Profile
« Reply #1778 on: October 10, 2016, 04:13:59 am »
Pray for divine intervention.
Not a winner anymore.

Offline Ultimatum

• SunDog Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #1779 on: October 10, 2016, 06:05:21 am »
Where is the horse and the rider?

Offline Inkling

• S.T.U.N. Runner
  • Not a Squid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1780 on: October 10, 2016, 12:22:08 pm »
Probably as good as an immediate take on the debate as anything else:

http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/a-late-night-podcast-to-recap-a-very-strange-second-debate/

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • GREAT SCOTT!!
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #1781 on: October 10, 2016, 03:22:36 pm »
this election:

Offline eropS

• Out Run Speedster
  • That's right, I went there
    • View Profile
« Reply #1782 on: October 10, 2016, 06:48:35 pm »
I don't get it
No, no, he did. In the everything else section, at least. Officially, this makes him king.

Offline Inkling

• S.T.U.N. Runner
  • Not a Squid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1783 on: October 10, 2016, 07:09:17 pm »
Yeah, I have no idea what I'm looking at.

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • GREAT SCOTT!!
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #1784 on: October 10, 2016, 09:39:42 pm »
Did any of you guys play Mario Sunshine?