Author Topic: 2016 Election  (Read 225218 times)

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • GREAT SCOTT!!
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
Re: 2016 Elections
« Reply #1695 on: September 27, 2016, 01:23:00 pm »
"Low energy" is a problem now?  It seemed to me that she was trying to appear as the calm and level headed option on the stage opposed to Trump.

She can do that without acting like a corpse dug out of the earth and placed behind a podium, especially against an opponent like Trump. Literally anyone can look calm and level-headed next to Trump.

Offline Inkling

• S.T.U.N. Runner
  • Not a Squid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1696 on: September 27, 2016, 03:01:48 pm »
If Clinton looked like a corpse, then Trump looked like a coke fiend. *sniff*

Play the "doesn't she look tired" card all you want, but Trump flopped on multiple issues.
Probably not a Goat, either.

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • GREAT SCOTT!!
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #1697 on: September 27, 2016, 03:49:24 pm »
Play the "doesn't she look tired" card all you want, but Trump flopped on multiple issues.

I'll be sure to rescind the part where I said that he had a great night and nailed every issue.

OH ****ING WAIT. :|

Let the bitch take her licks, she can handle it without your help.

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • GREAT SCOTT!!
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #1698 on: September 27, 2016, 04:07:25 pm »
Can we vote for Joe Biden yet?

Please?

Offline Inkling

• S.T.U.N. Runner
  • Not a Squid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1699 on: September 27, 2016, 06:04:58 pm »
Biden/Warren vs Rubio/Kasich.  But no, this is what we get.

Offline eropS

• Out Run Speedster
  • That's right, I went there
    • View Profile
« Reply #1700 on: September 27, 2016, 06:33:47 pm »
Biden?

Sandman
No, no, he did. In the everything else section, at least. Officially, this makes him king.

Offline Brandonazz

• All Your Base Zero Wing
  • Everything ends.
    • View Profile
    • My Internet Treasure Trove
« Reply #1701 on: September 27, 2016, 08:01:47 pm »
Biden/Warren vs Rubio/Kasich.  But no, this is what we get.

It's not the election that we want or need; it's the election that we deserve.

Offline /lurk

• Dragon Warrior Slime
    • View Profile
« Reply #1702 on: September 28, 2016, 11:43:10 am »
With all the identity politics, I actually forgot that this election was a one-percenter vs. someone even richer.

Good job CIA.
Not a winner anymore.

Offline Ultimatum

• SunDog Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #1703 on: September 28, 2016, 12:27:39 pm »
Racists can have freedom on the internet, and we're all free to call them pieces of **** and make their lives difficult.

I don't agree with the "make their lives difficult" part. That's you putting your nose where it doesn't belong. You're better off ignoring them, rather than hardening their stance and making them ornery.

Now, if they're causing trouble or being a disturbance, that is another issue and one for the authorities. Otherwise, I see no virtue in the public shaming of people that hold opinions privately and are otherwise not going out of their way to impose their beliefs. Going after those people because you somehow found out they have a poor opinion is just zealotry veiled behind cries of justice.

I was thinking over what's been said and here's my thoughts

If people hold racist opinions and people call them out,is there a chance they may change their minds?

Or should we ignore racism as long there's no chance of it influencing anyone else?

Offline Inkling

• S.T.U.N. Runner
  • Not a Squid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1704 on: September 28, 2016, 02:59:53 pm »
Well I mean, they can't help it, can they? But, there's nothing you can do about it. So, er, I'd kill 'em.

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • GREAT SCOTT!!
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #1705 on: September 28, 2016, 03:34:56 pm »
I was thinking over what's been said and here's my thoughts

If people hold racist opinions and people call them out,is there a chance they may change their minds?

Or should we ignore racism as long there's no chance of it influencing anyone else?

Ohh! Good thoughts!

I think both are correct. Because you are right that it is worth trying if there is a chance to change a mind.

We should absolutely call people out and try to talk with them about what they believe. But some people aren't going to change and/or some people are just a nuisance about it but otherwise harmless, and there has to come a time to stop and move on to more promising pastures.

It's a difficult balance. And it seems difficult to talk about degrees of racism, if that even exists.

But again, I've got problems with people taking the initiative to "dole out some justice" to the ignorant set. Yeah, Kathy is pretty racist, but do we really need to make it the point of our lives to make sure every moment of hers is filled with public shame? I mean, she's not even trying that hard to put down the ethnic groups she hates. 95% of her life is spent doing the same **** the rest of us do, and some small part of that remaining 5% is stuck on a dead end ideology. You can leave Kathy be.

David Duke-tier people on the other hand? Sure, we can shame them. But I mean, I think people like that thrive on public shaming... they're like trolls. @_@

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • GREAT SCOTT!!
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #1706 on: September 28, 2016, 07:18:47 pm »

Offline Inkling

• S.T.U.N. Runner
  • Not a Squid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1707 on: September 28, 2016, 08:08:09 pm »
I don't know that I support the whole public shaming thing, but I don't think the point is changing opinions.  I think the point is to say that whatever opinion isn't welcome.  And I guess it could be useful for flagging someone who is hateful to the point of actually being dangerous.

Offline Haseri

• Lode Runner
    • View Profile
« Reply #1708 on: September 29, 2016, 01:20:24 am »
Well I mean, they can't help it, can they? But, there's nothing you can do about it. So, er, I'd kill 'em.

I think being racist is a learned trait. If so, it can be un-learned. The problem is, by the time you're an adult, it's mostly entrenched. Though there is that video around about an ex-KKK Grand Wizard who was basically turned with kindness. So it's hard, but not impossible.

And it seems difficult to talk about degrees of racism, if that even exists.

I think there is. There's a difference between my parents' making fun of Greek names whenever they come up and their distress at the local Traveller group; to my grandparent's post-Empire "these people are different but they're basically alright"; to my great-grandparents using terms like "fuzzy-wuzzies", although according to my dad, there wasn't any actual proper hatred there, just ignorance.

I think a big problem happens when people lump benign ignorance - people can't be blamed for not caring about everything all the time - with genuine hatred.

Offline /lurk

• Dragon Warrior Slime
    • View Profile
« Reply #1709 on: September 29, 2016, 04:36:39 am »
Though there is that video around about an ex-KKK Grand Wizard who was basically turned with kindness. So it's hard, but not impossible.

The KKK are a bunch of LARPing dweenies. It probably wasn't that hard.
Not a winner anymore.