Author Topic: 2016 Election  (Read 220106 times)

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
Re: 2016 Elections
« Reply #1245 on: May 30, 2016, 02:38:23 am »
Oh wow.

"Be a libertarian... give the libertarian party money for free!"

God damn parasites.

Edit: Man these people are like the biggest nerds you went to school with.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2016, 03:01:26 am by Krakow Sam »
Sam is basically right, he's just cranky.

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • GREAT SCOTT!!
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #1246 on: May 30, 2016, 04:59:32 am »
They are. :D

Here is a supplement to ChiToes' previous video. A little more in-depth.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=55NxKENplG4" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=55NxKENplG4</a>

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #1247 on: May 30, 2016, 05:20:58 am »
Excellent points. However I feel like a lot of the latter-day Trump supporters are also falling prey to another common human bias of false equivalence.

A lot of people seem to be hearing this fact that Trump is an effective orator and is good at persuading people (which is true) and comforting themselves that therefore he would be an effective president. On the strength of his bluster and oratory he may well win, but he could still be a trainwreck.

Part of the reason we have bureaucracies and government and democracies is to protect ourselves from a situation where our leader is always the person who can talk over everyone else and wave his dick around. It works in some situations but is usually detrimental to the kinds of societies we want to live in now.

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • GREAT SCOTT!!
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #1248 on: May 30, 2016, 07:59:14 pm »
First off maybe I should preface this and remind you guys that I am only presenting points and these aren't necessarily my opinions. My opinion is that they are REALLY ****ING INTERESTING to talk about. :D

Part of the reason we have bureaucracies and government and democracies is to protect ourselves from a situation where our leader is always the person who can talk over everyone else and wave his dick around. It works in some situations but is usually detrimental to the kinds of societies we want to live in now.

And then the system produces self-serving, insular thinking politicians that are more interested in the preservation of a "system", rather than the prosperity of their people. Maybe a fireband every now and again isn't a bad thing. Perhaps a government that feels it must act as a means of protecting their people from the types of leaders that "talk over everyone else and wave his dick around", strips its citizens of fundamental rights. If the people want to tear them down, they will.

The contrast is potentially important for a society to see and later judge. If government insulates the population from undesirable elements, they may not even be aware that they're being duped.

Perhaps a government that feels it must act as a means of protecting their people from the types of leaders that "talk over everyone else and wave his dick around", strips its citizens of fundamental rights. If the people want to tear them down, they will.

The contrast is potentially important for a society to see and later judge.

This is foolishness though because if a blustery sort of personality gets into power and manages to break the system, there is no time or space for the populace to judge the contrasts between leadership types, other than the thought that "this type of leader broke our system". But past that point, all bets are off because you are in the wild west. And is that a risk worth taking with a nuclear power? Is it even possible for a President to destroy the US? Can they seriously break through all the different firewalls within our government (and others) to bring about the type of radical situation that causes the nation to cease to exist?

Offline Brandonazz

• All Your Base Zero Wing
  • Everything ends.
    • View Profile
    • My Internet Treasure Trove
« Reply #1249 on: May 31, 2016, 01:09:50 am »
No, but thanks to presidential precedent, he can invade any arid godforsaken piece of sovereign territory he wants and then tell congress about it the next day.

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #1250 on: May 31, 2016, 03:25:43 am »
How about just elect nobody? It worked for Belgium.

Offline Inkling

• S.T.U.N. Runner
  • Not a Squid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1251 on: May 31, 2016, 09:33:25 am »
Skunks are omnivorous, eating both plant and animal material and changing their diets as the seasons change. They eat insects and larvae, earthworms, grubs, small rodents, lizards, salamanders, frogs, snakes, birds, moles and eggs.
Probably not a Goat, either.

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #1252 on: May 31, 2016, 10:49:43 am »
You know what they say, a Trump in your hand is worth two Bushes.

Offline Inkling

• S.T.U.N. Runner
  • Not a Squid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1253 on: May 31, 2016, 02:32:33 pm »
A literal way of questioning the dumb folksy idea of a skunk being any better than a fox, sure.

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #1254 on: May 31, 2016, 03:14:05 pm »
Yeah, folksy wisdom is, generally speaking, a crock.

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • GREAT SCOTT!!
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #1255 on: May 31, 2016, 03:42:51 pm »
I mean everything is.

We are all slowly dying.

These hands... what have they wrought?

Offline emmet

• Street Fighter Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #1256 on: May 31, 2016, 04:31:07 pm »
offering a better alternative.

arm the chickens
No way dude, you're trolling me.

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #1257 on: May 31, 2016, 04:44:55 pm »
The last 240 years of not electing Trump didn't solve anything, so how is defeating Trump going to fix anything?

I'm just going to let that sit there since you know full well that statement makes no logical sense.

Offline Legodragonxp

• Excitebike Gearhead
  • Now for some real user power...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1258 on: May 31, 2016, 08:12:47 pm »
The last 240 years of not electing Trump didn't solve anything, so how is defeating Trump going to fix anything?

I'm just going to let that sit there since you know full well that statement makes no logical sense.

Your first mistake was applying logic to an internet argument
Your second mistake was to argue with a person referencing Trump
But your biggest mistake was not picking up your statement and backing it with a side of bacon.

-Lego

Offline Inkling

• S.T.U.N. Runner
  • Not a Squid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1259 on: May 31, 2016, 08:22:56 pm »
I replied to the stuff about foxes and skunks because I hadn't read the previous comments and was in a hurry.  I don't think Brandon was blaming Trump for precedent, he was complaining about that precedent.

I don't see people saying that "Trump is the problem and defeating Trump is the solution."  I have seen people (not necessarily people here) saying to vote for Trump because he's different from the status quo.  But just being different from the status quo doesn't mean he'd be an improvement.