Author Topic: 2016 Election  (Read 219422 times)

Offline Inkling

• S.T.U.N. Runner
  • Not a Squid.
    • View Profile
Re: 2016 Elections
« Reply #480 on: January 30, 2016, 12:46:14 pm »
Okay, but the argument that all of the GOP candidates are the same as Trump just isn't true.  No one else is saying we should ban all Muslims.  There's a huge difference between calling for vetting refugees, or even a ban on accepting refugees, and banning travel for any muslim from anywhere.  No one else is saying we're going to make Mexico pay for the hugest most luxurious wall along their border because it's nonsensical pandering.  Sure, any candidate would love to speak their mind freely instead of sticking to talking points that they hope will win over their base, but no one, not even Cruz, seems to have the disgust for everyone who doesn't agree with how great they are.

I do agree with you that Trump's campaign, is a knock, a monumental condemnation, of the GOP base and whoever else is supporting him.
Probably not a Goat, either.

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #481 on: January 30, 2016, 03:00:44 pm »
outwardly stubborn, petty, selfish, and racist

I mean, being inwardly stubborn, petty, selfish, and racist isn't that much different at the end of the day.

It is different because when you have thousands of people hanging onto your every word and eating up all your bull**** like it's God's jizz your words have the power to shape the beliefs and actions of those people. For all we know Obama secretly huffs ground up endangered tiger glands because he believes they give him sexual powers*. If this were true that would be bad, because hunting tigers to extinction is unethical. If he also took time out at the state of the union to extol the virtues of Tiger Glands and how every virile American should aspire to huffing Stripe Dust and a good chunk of the Democrat voter base started doing a massive run on the stuff, pushing up prices and increasing poacher activity across Asia then that would be a whole lot worse.

Politicians have a responsibility to reign in the behaviour of the people they whip up at their rallies.

*That's only a half truth
Sam is basically right, he's just cranky.

Offline dndfreak

• 1942 Veteran
  • The GM
    • View Profile
    • PathLosers
« Reply #482 on: January 30, 2016, 05:16:41 pm »
You seem to be convinced that every Trump supporter is an 8 year old watching Nickelodeon and then running into walls shouting that his name is Patchy the pirate.

Personally, I tend to think he's not as extreme with racism as a lot of people think. Even attackers trust Trump's brashness and so assume everything he says is genuine and heartfelt rather than calculated. I watched an interview where he was being pressured about ISIS plans and Trump essentially told them off because ISIS is watching the goddamn news and he can't threaten them with any action if they know it's a threat; it defeats the purpose. There's no bluff to call.

I feel like a few of his other stances, like the mexican wall and muslim ban, are proposals he does not genuinely expect to come to fruition. But they're threats. They draw attention to issues and spark discussion and inspire the people who are able to come up with better plans to do so. It's a call to action. But of course, if Trump comes out and says it's just talk, the desired effect is ruined.

In the same interview, he mentioned his book, The Art of the Deal, and that no one in politics seems to know what it is and that's what he's bringing to the table. Haggling. Start at a high point and let someone else make a better offer.

Look back to when Trump was talking about the muslim ban and saying it would fall in place until 'we figure things out' and that he wishes he didn't have to enact such a policy in the first place, but again, 'there's a problem that needs to be solved'. The goal is to find a better answer before enacting the ban in the first place. But again, if he said the muslim ban was just a threat and he didn't plan on actually doing it, then nothing would get done.

I do not believe that Trump is quite as racist as most would claim. I believe he is more calculated than many give him credit for. I also do not believe that his followers are impressionable children being handed kool-aid and told to drink.

Offline Ultimatum

• SunDog Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #483 on: January 30, 2016, 05:29:39 pm »
You give trump too much credit

Offline dndfreak

• 1942 Veteran
  • The GM
    • View Profile
    • PathLosers
« Reply #484 on: January 30, 2016, 05:39:31 pm »
Maybe. But whether it's a threat or not, it 1. won't happen, logistically and 2. is still a call to action. I'd like to think he's bluffing, but in actuality, the impact is the same whether it's a bluff or not. It's still a call to action and a demand for a better solution.

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #485 on: January 30, 2016, 06:06:02 pm »
Remember, Trump wants to **** his daughter

Sam is basically right, he's just cranky.

Offline dndfreak

• 1942 Veteran
  • The GM
    • View Profile
    • PathLosers
« Reply #486 on: January 30, 2016, 08:48:12 pm »
Only wants to?

Trump gets what trump wants.

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • GREAT SCOTT!!
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #487 on: January 30, 2016, 10:27:23 pm »
Oh man this debate. Is this even happening?

Where am I? Have I fallen into the Berenstain universe.

Just promise me you won't stop.

Offline Inkling

• S.T.U.N. Runner
  • Not a Squid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #488 on: January 30, 2016, 10:39:29 pm »
I've heard that line of thinking elsewhere, that Trump doesn't actually believe the stuff he says, it's just an act, he probably wouldn't be that bad.  And that's probably true to some degree, I think he is just throwing out red meat to people.  That still leaves you with an unqualified candidate who conned his way into office, where you don't know his actual positions on anything and can only pick through his past comments that have been all over the map.  Of course he's playing a character, he's been a reality tv actor for however many years.  But everything I've seen from him, in politics, reality tv, and business, shows a genuinely terrible person.

Saying that the "ban all muslims" talk was haggling is like making your first bid on a used car an offer to steal the car and break the owner's legs on the way out.

Offline dndfreak

• 1942 Veteran
  • The GM
    • View Profile
    • PathLosers
« Reply #489 on: January 31, 2016, 01:39:26 am »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u75XQdTxZRc" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u75XQdTxZRc</a>

Offline eropS

• Out Run Speedster
  • That's right, I went there
    • View Profile
« Reply #490 on: February 01, 2016, 07:36:25 am »
Big day.

Sanders pls
No, no, he did. In the everything else section, at least. Officially, this makes him king.

Offline Inkling

• S.T.U.N. Runner
  • Not a Squid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #491 on: February 01, 2016, 09:43:22 am »
I wonder if there's any interest in moving to a normal primary in Iowa.  Because the caucus system feels really archaic and unnecessarily complicated.

Offline Kenotai

• Krull Slayer
  • Wint firinoint vai.
    • View Profile
« Reply #492 on: February 01, 2016, 10:00:45 am »
Big day.

Sanders pls
More like "Iowan democrats pls"
I hate the waiting for results part of an election.
Visit, Vote, Vykusi - New Poll 9/01/08

Quote from: Little
I, for a fact, quite like Keno[tai]. He's my favorite.

Offline emmet

• Street Fighter Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #493 on: February 01, 2016, 10:11:09 am »
When are results expected?
No way dude, you're trolling me.

Offline Inkling

• S.T.U.N. Runner
  • Not a Squid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #494 on: February 01, 2016, 11:10:29 am »
It'll be late tonight.  They start at 7 central and will apparently take a few hours.  It sounds like there's potential for a lot of first time caucusers to show up for both parties, which could make things take longer.  Europeans should probably just check the results tomorrow morning, unless they're nocturnal.

This looks like a decent place to watch results come in:

http://data.desmoinesregister.com/iowa-caucus/results/index.php