Author Topic: 2016 Election  (Read 218799 times)

Offline /lurk

• Dragon Warrior Slime
    • View Profile
Re: 2016 Elections
« Reply #465 on: January 29, 2016, 05:50:34 am »
If a vote for Trump is a vote for chaotic anarchy, is it any surprise that he's so popular?
Not a winner anymore.

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #466 on: January 29, 2016, 08:30:25 am »
Eh, I like that he at least does what HE wants.

The point of the President is to do what the people in your country want, or at the very least what's good for them (whatever you think that is). Everything about the way Trump behaves implies he doesn't care about anyone but himself. 
Sam is basically right, he's just cranky.

Offline eropS

• Out Run Speedster
  • That's right, I went there
    • View Profile
« Reply #467 on: January 29, 2016, 10:18:44 am »
Yeah but they don't do that anyway.

I fail to see a practical difference between Jeb Rubio Christie as they're all basically going to do what big business interest want, not the American people

Ted Cruz will do what god wants, not the people.

Trump will do what he thinks is good for him, and I think he believes he thinks America doing well is good for him. How he'll do that is up to him I guess but he sure won't be discussing it with donors or God.

None of them care about anyone but themselves except Sandman. When that qualifier is removed, Trump leads to GOP field imo.

No, no, he did. In the everything else section, at least. Officially, this makes him king.

Offline Rysworld

• Fooblitzky Fooble
  • hhhhhhhh
    • View Profile
« Reply #468 on: January 29, 2016, 10:40:58 am »
It's gonna be a wild ride for the next few years, whatever happens.

I'm ready.

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • GREAT SCOTT!!
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #469 on: January 29, 2016, 01:21:50 pm »
Calgon take me away!

Offline Inkling

• S.T.U.N. Runner
  • Not a Squid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #470 on: January 29, 2016, 06:32:15 pm »
Erops, have you not been listening to the stuff coming out of Trump's mouth for the last months?  I have issues of varying degrees with the rest of the GOP field too, but they pale in comparison.  If any other candidate "joked" about about taking protesters' coats and throwing them out in the cold or shooting people in the street, their campaign would be over in 24 hours.  And that's just in the last week.
Probably not a Goat, either.

Offline eropS

• Out Run Speedster
    • View Profile
« Reply #471 on: January 29, 2016, 09:15:30 pm »
Eh, it's not like any other candidate wouldn't throw the protesters out in the cold.

No, no, he did. In the everything else section, at least. Officially, this makes him king.

Offline Inkling

• S.T.U.N. Runner
  • Not a Squid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #472 on: January 29, 2016, 09:27:07 pm »
A normal candidate would pause while interrupting protesters are removed, maybe take the opportunity to make a joke about whoever he's running against, and move on.  A normal candidate doesn't gleefully yell to confiscate their coats.

http://thehill.com/blogs/ballot-box/presidential-races/265172-trump-tells-security-to-confiscate-protesters-coats

I am telling you with certainty that this, or the "joke" about shooting people in the street, or any of his blatantly stupid and impossible proposals would end any normal campaign.  I really don't see how you can just shrug and say he's the same as anyone else.
Probably not a Goat, either.

Offline eropS

• Out Run Speedster
    • View Profile
« Reply #473 on: January 29, 2016, 09:41:16 pm »
If Jeb Rubio Cruz could get away with what Trumps doing they would. The fact they've played their hands as establishment do right politicians is their problem.

Trump acts different than them because he can get away with what they've spent years dancing around. They still believe in what he says that's why GOP voters pick him

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #474 on: January 30, 2016, 02:56:33 am »
So what you're saying is if someone can get away with doing something obviously immoral without repercussions then that's good because they're just doing what they want and anyone would do the same in their position?

So someone that robs a liquor store and gets sent to jail is bad, but the hedge fund manager that embezzles and offshores millions and then gets off scott free because he has a team of expensive lawyers is the best of his profession because he can get away with being self-serving?

Because that's a pretty good analogy for what's happening here.

Offline dndfreak

• 1942 Veteran
  • The GM
    • View Profile
    • PathLosers
« Reply #475 on: January 30, 2016, 04:54:49 am »
I mean, think about what the protesters are doing. An event held for supporters is held for the audience as much as for the candidacy. If a protester feels like a movie or play or some other type of performance is an affront to their morals, they stand around outside with signs and get ignored as they should be. If the opening scrawl starts up in the premiere for episode VII and some dude jumps in front of the projector waving his arms and shouting, "Jar-Jar", you're damn straight he'd get thrown out in the cold, if he's not trampled to death along the way.

Interrupting a candidate in the middle of a supporter event is not just an obnoxious waste of the candidate's time, but of the audience's as well. It's for supporters, not people on the fence. A couple of fools shouting another candidate's name, no matter who they support or who they're antagonizing, will not change a single person's mind. All it does is waste time for tens of thousands of people, hundreds of thousands. Free speech in this country has always been limited to protect the rights of others. An interruption of this nature does nothing beneficial and only wastes other people's time, and in many cases time is money. There are many who would say it's about damn time someone wasn't allowed to get away clean with such a display of selfishness.

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #476 on: January 30, 2016, 05:34:29 am »
At no point did anyone argue that it was improper to eject protesters.

The issue is that Trump is in a position of power, with thousands of people apparently fanatically clinging to his every word. To then stand up in front of those people and even as a joke say that someone should have their property confiscated* and then be thrown out into the cold without a coat is just irresponsible. Ditto saying "I could go out and shoot someone". These are not the actions of a mature adult. Even a comparative dunce like Dubya knew better than to say things like that in public. Even the idea that Trump could be president of the USA is making George W. Bush look like a fantastic statesman by comparison.

*What sort of reaction would have got if he'd said "take their gun away"?

Offline eropS

• Out Run Speedster
    • View Profile
« Reply #477 on: January 30, 2016, 06:52:32 am »
I don't think what he's saying is good. I think that he is speaking his mind and that speaks to the GOP base, and he gets to speak his mind and have it sound authentic to voters because he has never had the reputation as a politician who cares about appearences. If the others spouted off they'd be seen as stooping, low, etc. He's not because he never had the expectation he would.

Jeb Rubio Cruz would kill for that kind of exception, but they don't get it, and hence they're losing the base because while they dance around and dog whistle their intentions (which are the same as Trump), Trump just says it and exposes it to the world.

Offline Rysworld

• Fooblitzky Fooble
  • hhhhhhhh
    • View Profile
« Reply #478 on: January 30, 2016, 12:02:48 pm »
Erops, I think people know that and they know your view on the matter. We're not confused as to what view you hold about Trump speaking his mind and the way he does it.

What we are confused about, I think, is why on Earth you think it is a good thing.

Being outwardly stubborn, petty, selfish, and racist are generally not things that should endear you to a prospective coworker, let alone a candidate to help lead one of the most powerful nations in the world. They shouldn't really be any better if the person tells you about them, either.

Perhaps you only think that he is headstrong, detail-oriented, self-loving, and outspoken about immigration issues?

Offline eropS

• Out Run Speedster
    • View Profile
« Reply #479 on: January 30, 2016, 12:18:03 pm »
I guess I think it's good because I don't see those facets as a negative against him when the rest of his party votes in step with what he says, it's a knock on the whole GOP that they allow him to do this, that's not a good thing. Thus, the whole thing is moot to me when compared to the rest of the GOP field, since they are all culpable, he's just more outspoken. and not tied to anyone, thats his advantage and i think it's a good thing

outwardly stubborn, petty, selfish, and racist

I mean, being inwardly stubborn, petty, selfish, and racist isn't that much different at the end of the day.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2016, 12:19:47 pm by eropS »