Author Topic: Big vs Small  (Read 8326 times)

Offline Tarious

• Adventure Ace
  • FINISH HIM!
    • View Profile
Big vs Small
« on: March 28, 2005, 06:24:24 pm »
In the 3rd Podcast, Steve was describing when Will's creature ran into the Spider Creature that wanted to eat Will's Creature.

Will ran from the spider. This brings up a consept, What if he had stayed and fought. I don't want to see the Bigger creature win every time, but i don't want to see the little creature have a huge chance of winning.

Then theirs the fact that u don't want to be killing rabbits for food, and one of em killing your creature.

Offline krjal

• Pac-Man Maniac
    • View Profile
Re: Big vs Small
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2005, 07:36:22 pm »
You could conceivably have a very small creature with high physical strength and speed but low intelligence to compensate and vice versa.
+++"Sometimes, when I look into the abyss, the abyss looks back" - [tmo]+++

Offline Greyleaf

• Boot Hill Bandit
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2005, 08:10:57 pm »
I would like this area to be pretty realistic. If your an enourmous giant elephant, think should get out of your way - or become pavement. If your light, long and lean you should be able to outspeed and possibly outmanuever an oponent. Speed can be used for more then running. And for creatures lacking in both areas, such as humans, you should be able to use far better tactics and tecniques. All can win in hand-to-hand combat.
98% of the teenage population does or has tried smoking pot. If you're one of the 2% who hasn't, copy & paste this in your signature.

Offline craigp

• Phoenix Fighter
    • View Profile
    • Perkwiki
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2005, 08:47:26 am »
You ever try 'winning in hand to hand combat' against a bulldog?

Size isn't all that matters - bulldogs are smaller than we are - but unless we're talking pack animals, you DON'T try to take out something significantly larger than you. The spider's KNEES were taller than his animal.

-Craig

Offline Anou Mawi

• Phoenix Fighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2005, 04:33:15 pm »
Yes, one could throw stones, or spears...

Offline Scipion

• Stargate Superstar
  • Returned from the grave, now with more immunities!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2005, 04:37:20 pm »
Except for our use of tools, we're pretty boned when it comes to physical combat.
-Just like Gaming Steve all of my ideas, suggestions, and comments are merely edjucated guesses. These are based on prior experience and current released info.-

Offline Xarionis

• Tempest Top Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2005, 06:29:01 pm »
Unless you're a ninja. Stealth.

Offline MrBlueDragon

• Breakout Battler
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2005, 04:42:04 pm »
one can always look for bigger creatures fighting, let them kill each other and when there is a victor go in and prey on him seeing as he is now weak, and if the victor didn't have time to eat the meat from the other creature you just got even more food

;D

Offline Gaming Steve

• Master Chief
  • Dig Dug Digger
    • View Profile
    • Gaming Steve
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2005, 09:41:37 pm »
It is difficult to say how combat will work with various sized creatures but in the microbe stage Will's creature took several hits from enemy creatures. I would think that on land and sea it will work very similar to real life -- a lion vs. a human (without tools) will not last long. But once that human gets some tool knowledge (i.e. spear) the battlefield will level.

Will did note that even though his creature was small it could run fast. Also keep in mind that you can add "weapons" to your creature via claws and such to even the playing field. It should be interesting to build a small vicious creature and see what happens.
Check out Gaming Steve on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/thegamingsteve

Offline Behumat

• Joust Warrior
  • Coruscant committee to fight urban sprawl
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2005, 09:44:24 am »
Remember the movie critters? Tiny mutant hedghogs that travel in packs and shoot poison spines at people. (I think they were actually intelligent aliens, and that was just their way of saying "Hello, lets be friends")

Offline lemurbouy

• Defender Devotee
  • oh my...
    • View Profile
    • Leeman's Livejournal!
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2005, 10:03:49 am »
I remember Critters.  I think DiCaprio was in the 2nd or 3rd movie.  Anywho, one of those would be awesome although I like the idea of the ball people mentioned earlier.  "We demand bouncing, followed by rolling, followed by bouncing of the 15th kind."  -leeman

Offline xnodas

• Frogger Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2005, 12:16:21 pm »
size will of course matter a great deal in this game because you will have lots more wheight to use behind swings of your claws or tail, but having a smaller creature that has a better type of claw and has great amounts attack speed then you can prolly take some of the bigger creatures down
"Tell me what you cherish most...give me the pleasure of taking it away." Final Fatasy VII: Advent Children

Offline Stromko

• Phoenix Fighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2005, 01:29:54 pm »
In the super-primitive land creature age you won't have 'humans' trying to fight creatures with their bare hands, if you wanted to follow the basic evolutionary path, and assuming we can't climb trees, you'd probably have to make some kind of proto-ape with big teeth and claws, otherwise it wouldn't survive to see the day it could use tools.

I really wonder how it was that the spider was obviously bigger, stronger, nastier than Will's creature, maybe it puts you up against creatures that are actually more evolved than you. This would follow the same pattern as the tidal pool phase, wouldn't it, with how the brown things would try to kill him and were too big to eat? But then later, he got more powerful and was able to eat them too? So the spiders might be the brown things, he won't be strong enough to take them on at first.

But my theory is a little wobbly because the brown things don't look like something that was evolved at all, they're just blobs like the rest of the things in the pool, while Will's creature is all vertebraeish and junk.

Offline snappledude21

• Space Invaders Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2005, 07:57:43 pm »
I'd go for the CAMO critters....just look like dirt, very large and flat, with a HUGE mouth. you walk on them, when you get towards the middle, inflate, swallow, digest, deflate, wait.

mike

Offline Legodragonxp

• Excitebike Gearhead
  • Now for some real user power...
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2005, 02:23:48 pm »
I'd go for the CAMO critters....just look like dirt, very large and flat, with a HUGE mouth. you walk on them, when you get towards the middle, inflate, swallow, digest, deflate, wait.

mike

The male of the species are refered to as 'Puff Daddys'
-Lego

Offline Gaming Steve

• Master Chief
  • Dig Dug Digger
    • View Profile
    • Gaming Steve
« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2005, 07:40:35 am »
I remember Critters.  I think DiCaprio was in the 2nd or 3rd movie.  Anywho, one of those would be awesome although I like the idea of the ball people mentioned earlier.  "We demand bouncing, followed by rolling, followed by bouncing of the 15th kind."  -leeman

I actually saw Critters (the first one) in the theater. Oh yeah! ;D

That would be a fun creature to make, the round little Critter, but I'm not sure if you can make creatures without legs...
Check out Gaming Steve on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/thegamingsteve