Author Topic: Star Wars VII: The Force Awakens  (Read 9286 times)

Offline Tesla

• Street Fighter Champion
    • View Profile
Re: Star Wars VII: The Force Awakens
« Reply #105 on: December 19, 2015, 03:03:59 pm »
Oh yeah so, am I right in understanding that Starkiller Base consumes stars to power its laser? They kind of glossed over it but you could see it sucking up a sun and they said it'd be ready when everything goes dark.

If so, does that mean it goes from system to system? So it has like, a hyperdrive? I actually think that would have looked sweet - a planet with a hyperdrive.
No way dude, you're trolling me.

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #106 on: December 19, 2015, 05:46:17 pm »
From what I understand. The Starkiller has a very large range such that is doesn't generally need to move. But that is supplementary info from newer literature.

Additionally, what was the take on the new Emperor? Where do you think that is going?

Offline Tesla

• View Profile
« Reply #107 on: December 19, 2015, 05:59:41 pm »
Just found this comment in the Star Wars subreddit movie discussion on this very topic. Obviously this is a very dubious source:

The critic Peter Sciretta apparently asked this very question to a friend as he was leaving the premiere - the head of Lucasfilm's story group was behind him and just said "it moves".

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: December 20, 2015, 03:56:35 pm »
I liked it.

It was good enough that it made the prequels retroactively even worse.

Sure, it wasn't perfect, and the worst bits of the film were definitely the ones where they were just hewing a bit too close to the originals for safety's sake but what are you gonna do, gotta keep everyone happy right?
Sam is basically right, he's just cranky.

Offline Brandonazz

• Baseball SuperStar
  • Hoc etiam transibit
    • View Profile
    • My Internet Treasure Trove
« Reply #109 on: December 28, 2015, 08:07:40 pm »
I'd give it a 6, maybe 7.

It was painfully predictable, cameos were ham-fisted, and the pacing was all out of sorts. Some things happened so quickly that they made no sense.

Offline Inkling

• S.T.U.N. Runner
  • Not a Squid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: December 28, 2015, 10:27:45 pm »
I saw it again over the weekend with family and I had some further thoughts.

Who was that old guy at the start who gave Poe the map?  He seemed to know Leia and Kylo Ren very well.

And for that matter, I wonder how well known Kylo's history is.

The first time I saw it, it seemed like Kylo and the stun baton stormtrooper were being overly dramatic when they'd yell at Finn the Human for being a traitor whenever they saw him.  But Finn killed a LOT of troopers and other First Order troops, and ruined pretty much everything for them.  He switched from being freaked out over a bloody handprint to killing his former brothers in arms very quickly.  I wonder how he felt about the Order when he was back in sanitation.

I think they mentioned something about the Starkiller base being a hyperdrive weapon, so maybe that explains it being visible from the planet Maz's bar was on.  It wasn't just a giant laser flying through space, it was a massive amount of energy tearing a glowing path through hyperspace.

I see the Snoke is Darth Plageuis (sp) talk all over the place and I hope that's wrong.  I'm hoping that he's from a dark side Force tradition other than the Sith.  That the Sith think they've been so clever with their little secret rule of two thing, but he's been watching them unnoticed for a long time.  Maybe have it parallel to Maz "knowing the Force" but not being a Jedi.  I'm guessing we haven't seen the last of her either.
Probably not a Goat, either.

Offline Flisch

• H.E.R.O. Rescue Worker
  • Banned - 17/07/15
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: December 30, 2015, 10:44:07 am »
I just saw the movie.

What a massive letdown. This thing is what they advertised for months as this year's cinema highlight? The long awaited sequel to a beloved franchise?

And they basically did a retrofit of episode 4-6? It's the same story, except it makes even less sense. The empire was destroyed at the end of 6 but -surprise- they're back? And they have even more resources than before, being able to built an even bigger and deadlier death star? And they recruit their inexhaustable army by adbucting kids? Seriously?

Okay, fine, let's not talk about the story. That was never Star Wars main attraction anyway. What about the atmosphere? Well apart from basically copying 4-6 what else is there? Nothing. The scenery in 1-3 was at least gorgeous. Naboo, in all its facettes, Geonosys and that weird lava planet. Let's not forget Coruscant and Kamino!

7 has... a huge sea of sand on Tattoine some random desert planet and... some trees on Hoth some random snow planet.

Okay I get it, the movie doesn't shine through atmosphere and story... Maybe it's all about the caracters. No Jar-Jar Binks surely means this movie has at least this cut out for it.

But no, most of the characters are unlikable and the rest is kind of bland. Let's quickly run through them:

• The pilot who owns the droid is not only inconsequential to the plot as a whole but also suffers from the "I try to be cool but I'm not" syndrome that hollywood seems to shove into their supposedly bad-ass characters all the time.
  • The stormtrooper Finn is not only poorly characterized (Being trained for combat all your life without any emotional contact to anyone doesn't just make you second-guess killing some random people you never met.) but he also comes across as childish and incompetent. Bickering with the scrapper girl, acting like he's hot **** to Han, flipping out when he's in control over his former commander, especially at the last thing he sounded more like a street thug rather than someone who was trained for combat and brainwashed for discipline for the entirety of his life.
  • The scrapper-girl was basically a plot device, rather than a person. She is not as bad as the rest, but you don't automatically shine just because the rest doesn't. She's bland and her actions are nonsensical at best. Plus she's suddenly a speshul snowflake, big surprise. Yawn. Though to be fair in a star wars movie this was to be expected.
  • Han Solo didn't really feel like he fit at all. He's so much fanservice in your face that it hurts more than nostalgia makes up for it. A cameo would have been fine, but being a central part of the plot was a bad decision. The problem isn't he himself, but the whole thing around him. He just doesn't fit. It'd be like transplanting Binks into episodes 4-6. Plus nothing that made him a likable character in the earlier movies show up here. He's not snarky, or smart or even just a douche who is secretly a good guy. He's just fanservice.
  • Leia Organa was even worse. I don't know if it's really the fault of her actor or the writing of her character, but she felt so emotionless in everything she did. She spent 90% of the time just standing there with a stoic face, sometimes hugging someone, again without any real shown emotion or talking to someone, again without any real emotion. It was kind of embarassing really.
  • Darth Vader Junior. I don't even know where to begin with this character. He's basically the Vader reincarnated without anything that made Vader fearsome. He appears to be a little brat who doesn't get his way as soon as things go wrong. And then he takes off the helmet and... HE IS! He looks... He doesn't look like a villain at all! Or a serious person! He looks like he just made it out of puberty. How am I supposed to take the main villain of the movie seriously if he looks like he is still going to school. And with that kind of hair under a helmet. This isn't trying to hard, this is not trying at all.

It is a testament to the writing that the two only likable characters were Chewbacca and BB, the little ball droid. Furthermore it's telling that both didn't have a real speaking role.

I mean, wow. I'm not a Star Wars fanboy, not even remotely. I never really cared that much for the franchise. I watched the movies and took them for what they are, popcorn cinema, nothing deep enough to spend time thinking about after the movie ends. As such I didn't have high expectations.

But wow, after all this hype I feel... I feel swindled.
There is, of course, a difference between having a laugh with someone, and having a laugh at their expense

Offline Inkling

• S.T.U.N. Runner
  • Not a Squid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: December 30, 2015, 06:12:51 pm »
Well, that's a different opinion, and I'm glad you shared it.  I think the people who made this knew the kind of expectations and rabid fandom they'd be dealing with, and for better or worse I think that influenced a lot of things about the movie.  I'm not going to do a whole point by point rebuttal because those are silly and it's not like I'm going to change your mind.

I do agree that we could've used some more exotic locations, but I think that goes back to trying to keep the more grounded feel of the originals than the greenscreen everything of the prequels.  I bet we get some more unusual settings in the next one.

I disagree with pretty much everything you said about the characters, but I can see where you're coming from.  Except for Poe, I have no idea what you're talking about there.
Probably not a Goat, either.

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: December 31, 2015, 07:09:18 am »
Yeah, the characters are absolutely fine for the sort of story a Star War is. It's pulp space adventure stuff, you want nice archetypes in that sort of story. People in these sorts of stories do good or bad stuff because they're good or bad people, not because of complicated psychological motivations.

Why did Finn the human wig out and start shooting stormtroopers instead of innocent villagers? Because he's a good guy.

Why did Hans Yolo go back to smuggling and then go back to being a hero? Because he's a scoundrel with a heart of gold.

Also your criticisms about Kylo Ren aren't criticisms because that's 100% how the character was intended to be. He's not supposed to be Darth Vader, he's supposed to be a Vader fanboy with anger management issues.

Offline eropS

• Out Run Speedster
  • That's right, I went there
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: January 01, 2016, 11:22:10 pm »
I liked it

She's either Luke or Hans daughter
No, no, he did. In the everything else section, at least. Officially, this makes him king.

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: January 02, 2016, 01:22:54 am »
I really hope not.

I don't have much confidence Rey won't turn out to be a close relative of a main character but I reaaaaallly hope not.

Offline Tesla

• View Profile
« Reply #116 on: January 02, 2016, 06:27:46 am »
Yeah, wouldn't the ultimate twist be if she wasn't related to anyone?

Offline eropS

• Out Run Speedster
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: January 02, 2016, 08:31:48 am »
I mean, she totally is, so don't count on that haha

Who was the old map guy that was also probably secretly watching over Reyż
No, no, he did. In the everything else section, at least. Officially, this makes him king.

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: January 02, 2016, 08:53:37 am »
Map guy? Explain.

Offline eropS

• Out Run Speedster
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: January 02, 2016, 09:23:18 am »
the dude Poe gets the map from at the start