Author Topic: Welcome to the Games of Tomorrow!  (Read 934 times)

Offline MasterChiToes

• Fire Truck Driver
    • View Profile
Welcome to the Games of Tomorrow!
« on: November 16, 2014, 03:07:36 pm »
« Last Edit: December 07, 2016, 02:12:12 am by MasterChiToes »

Offline eropS

• Out Run Speedster
  • That's right, I went there
    • View Profile
Re: Welcome to the Games of Tomorrow!
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2014, 03:22:02 pm »
Unrealistic.

Market's too big. We're like the film industry or music. Something like this won't take hold over traditional formats already established.

The bad stuff will still make money, so just look and support what you see as worth supporting.

Look at Pat and Nintendo; the guy pimps that **** like he's paid because he loves it. Brandon and Paradox; there's still companies making good stuff and those of us that already gave up on the mainstream disappointments have already turned to these.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2014, 03:24:48 pm by eropS »
No, no, he did. In the everything else section, at least. Officially, this makes him king.

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2014, 05:35:59 pm »
Haha yeah that about sums up what I would have added.

My own habits have grown out of my growing disdain for games media, if you can believe that. GameSpot and IGN pissed me off some time last decade around the midpoint of the GameCube's lifespan. I perceived a bias against Nintendo, a company that made and makes top quality games with a kind of ease that the big publishers hate. This is when I started becoming aware of review scores and their general uselessness... so, I guess around 15 or 16? Ten years ago.

So at that point I started withdrawing from "mainstream" gaming news and eventually the culture as well. I don't know if it was a generational issue or not, I'm not sure if having grown up in a world without the internet played a part. But I have such a damn hard time relating to the current school of younger gamers. It's like we're from different worlds. And then I saw Kotaku begin catering to them instead of me, that was when I disconnected completely. Whenever I changed "Kotaku Rocks!" to "Kotaku SUCKS", that was when I was out for good. Because they aren't my demographic, simple as that. (Not the other way around, I have the power, not them. They are not in my demographic, understand that clearly.)

And so now I can basically ignore all of games media. I find someone on YouTube with relevant interests (which I can absolutely do) and use their reviews and advice to help me make my decisions. Nintendo has made it even easier because they also ditched games media to a large extent when they started Nintendo Direct. And for PC games YouTube and you guys more or less fill in the rest. I'll introduce some conjecture here and suggest that a lot of the people at this forum in particular are like this. We've moved on from a lot of these sites because we saw the bull**** or realized that we were growing out of their target-group.

I am thankful as well. Because the behavior in games journalism helped wake me up and make me a more objective and conscious person. It also made me less angry about video games and the console wars. Because hey, I don't want to play Assassin's Creed. Or the new Thief. Or Battlefield. Or Call of Duty. I don't care about League of Legends and most phone games can go **** themselves.

I value my experience because I know what good games are. Good games. Not hardcore or casual. Good games. I want good games from developers that aren't trying to be overly manipulative or greedy. Those games mentioned above? I don't ignore them because they are bad games necessarily. I ignore most AAA games because most AAA developers have a habit of treating me either like a criminal or like someone that can't think and lacks a pair of eyes.

Anyway, not sure if this reply is super-related to the topic at hand. I just started writing. :U

Offline Cobra

• All Your Base Zero Wing
  • People want ducks.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2014, 03:37:30 pm »
I stopped looking at review sites for opinions years ago. A lot of my choices came from word of mouth a lot from this site (actually a lot from Patman he has very similar taste to myself) rest I find where ever else. the only thing close to mainstream I use is an Australian TV show called Good Game the reviews Bajo and Hex are pretty good and the reports on Gamer culture from e-sports to the history of snow themed levels. In the end it pays to look around to get your gaming news.

Offline Slinky

• Mr. Do! Disciple
  • hey there
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2014, 08:20:01 pm »
Silly silly, don't trust Pat. He's only trying to get in your pants.

Offline Casavasung

• Pong Paddle
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2014, 04:39:16 am »
This story is about nothing.